Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. redsock

redsock Writer, reader, grouch.

The audience recording of "Tangled Up In Blue" might be my most favourite Dylan performance of all time. (And I have read there is video of it at Tulsa!!)

I can get goosebumps just thinking about it (like right now).

The Bard and DeeThomaz like this.
  2. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I love it, but then it's probably more akin to the style of Desire so that makes sense. I do get what you mean about it being out of place, but sandwiched between two "so-so" performances, I find it very welcome!

3. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

There’s a largely undocumented tape of material recorded after ‘Blood On The Tracks’ but before ‘Desire’ (an initial take of ‘Money Blues’ is on it) that would be interesting.

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The Willie Murphy and the Bees jam!

Mbd77 likes this.
  5. You don't think Desire would have improved with 'Joey' squeezed off and 'Abandoned Love' squeezed on?

aoxomoxoa, RockRoom and DeeThomaz like this.
  6. I think 'Up To Me' is very much an outtake and inferior to most everything on BOTT. I think Bob was right in his assessment. Lyrically the song is rather trite to me, I think he dealt with this subject matter much more effectively elsewhere on the album.

SteveM likes this.
  7. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I'm just now reacquainting myself with the Renaldo & Clara soundtrack. Its been ages since I listened to this stuff. I completely agree with you about "Kaw-Liga." I'm also freshly reminded how ridiculous it was that "When I Paint My Masterpiece" was skipped over for BS5. At least this upcoming set will give them a new opportunity to rectify that.

8. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Nope!

JMGuerr, Jimmy B. and streetlegal like this.
  9. Well, each to their own. Ever since I read the Lester Bangs piece about Joey Gallo I've really struggled with that song. In fact, I struggled with Bob Dylan for a while too after reading that.
    I actually think Desire is a fine album, but it could have been even better.

10. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I'm probably in a minority of a couple of thousand who wants "Desire", "Planet Waves", "Renaldo and Clara" and "Rolling Thunder" to be left out of BS14.

I'd like a big blood-red box of "Blood on the Tracks". I'd like every note of every take in every studio; every click and clatter of the jacket buttons, all the banter and every cough. In the order of creation.

I'd like facsimiles of each page of each notebook and all the studio logs. I'd like facsimiles of Tape Identification Data Sheets, Track Identification Charts, Musician Contracts and tape box labels. Plain to see and in a book, not jumbled up all over the shop, tinted and hidden away behind and between glued-up CD joey pouches.

I'd like a vinyl replica of the New York acetate to be included.

I'll accept the gimmicks: a "Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts"- themed pack of playing cards and a pressed and preserved sprig of Queen Anne's Lace. I'll even take a spindle with a picture of a blood-stained saddle on it.

The two books, as I have implied before, should be entitled "Images" and "Distorted Facts" I'm not sure I care who writes the distorted facts, but I'd like the images to be annotated. Correctly.

For me, "Blood on the Tracks" deserves no less than it's own box, rubbing shoulders with Big Blue. No matter the various wonders of "Live '74", "Planet Waves", "Desire" "Renaldo and Clara" and "Rolling Thunder", the inclusion of those worthy eras would only serve to reduce the fare on offer from the BOTT sessions. Let the others have their own box(es), by all means, but allow BOTT to have all the attention on this one.

Big Red: make it like Big Blue. But make it better.

Fat chance, so obviously I'll take whatever I'm given. I just have this sneaky feeling that I may not be quite so grateful for what I'm given this time around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Oh, heavens! You're making me swoon.

12. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Let's get something straight.
    Lester Bangs had a serious attitude problem when he wrote that article.
    Bangs conducted formal research and knew more about Gallo's life and crimes than Dylan did when he wrote the song.
    Bangs' objective was to make Dylan look like a jerk by association..

Bob Dylan was not responsible for Joey Gallo's life and crimes.
    He was writing a song that reflected attitudes and feelings he had encountered on the street, not a dissertation about the man's life and crimes.

To hell with Lester Bangs and his stupid article.

13. Ouch! I think Bangs was a great music critic, the best actually, very funny and entertaining. And he was also a huge Dylan fan.
    But I understand what you are saying, Bob was coming from a different angle, but that Bangs piece stopped me dead in my tracks.

SteveM likes this.
  14. Richard--W

Dead in your tracks?
    Wake up. Start twitching.

I reiterate:

LESTER BANGS WAS WRONG.
    DEAD WRONG.
    THERE IS NO ASSOCIATION BETWEEN
    DYLAN'S SONG AND LESTER BANG'S ACCUSATIONS.

15. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Oh, I'm easily pleased, me; I never ask for much...:)

[​IMG]

Bob's handwritten chart for "Tangled Up In Blue"

scottc, redsock, Almost Simon and 2 others like this.
  16. Gauth

Gauth Forum Resident

I'm with you on this. Actually, I want this for every single studio album. And DON'T cut all the in-between takes banter like on Big Blue. They already made it 18 discs, so what if it took 20 discs just to keep the banter?

17. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

RTR just doesn’t interest me. I’ll pick up anything that Dylan releases, but I can’t get into Dylan live. It’s not for lack of trying though. I’d much rather have the alternate takes, false starts, banter. I want to hear the songs I’ve heard a thousand times take shape.
    I was in a tough spot financially when big blue came out and I missed out. I won’t let that happen again, let alone with BotT or Desire.

18. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Spot on.

redsock likes this.
  19. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Can you type and drool at the same time?

redsock and Percy Song like this.
  20. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Dylan definitely had a more realistic view of his subject matter with 'Joey' than he did with his song 'Johnny The Clown', his song about John Wayne Gacy!
    :--)

21. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

Of course we can take Joey about as seriously as we can take Hurricane right?

Also, Joan Baez did Lily real good. I also prefer the acoustic Dylan version. I hope there are some more Minneapolis takes of other songs though.

Williamson likes this.
  22. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Do that and take off "Hurricane" and put on "Golden Loom," and you probably have room for "Catfish" as well. Much better, imo.

23. Richard--W

Yes.
    Both songs are serious ballads that come straight from the heart.

They are NOT documentaries.

ad180 likes this.
  24. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Easy does it.

25. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I gotta disagree - I think the different approach works perfectly and helps make the album the masterpiece it is. But then I like the song itself...

lschwart and Regandron like this.