Cd’s when are they obsolete ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pocofan, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Lol

2. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

Ace are about to release a new Chuck Jackson compilation that will feature hard to find mono mixes of some of his hits... on LP only. No CD. The end is nigh.

3. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Lions, tigers and bears, oh my! Lions, tigers and bears.

4. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Well if Chuck Jackson has abandoned the CD format, that's it, lights out. Close the thread, we're done.

dalem5467 and Malina like this.
  5. Takehaniyasubiko

Takehaniyasubiko Forum Resident

The hilarious part of this thread: people who prefer CDs over vinyl are called grumpy old men because vinyl is obviously... the format of the future.
    [​IMG]

6. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

CD seems like the lowest priority with newer indie music. Many artists are even favoring limited cassette runs over a cd pressing.

7. Takehaniyasubiko

Limited cassette runs are still kind of mainstream, so they need to go back to playing court music for patrons.

jay.dee and ermylaw like this.
  8. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

That's this forum in general. I've come to expect it from here before even signing in.

snowman872 and plynthe like this.
  9. Takehaniyasubiko

They didn't have CDs before the war. They had vinyl, tho.

10. smallworld

It's a new compilation, not new recordings. It is noteworthy that Ace, one of the premiere reissue labels, don't see any point in putting out the compilation on CD. They put out a CD on Jackson just last year, Big New York Soul: Wand Records 1961-1966, with a different tracklist to the upcoming set. The new vinyl only set, The Best of the Wand Years, would make a fine complimentary release. Alas, it won't - for me.

It's a worrying development if reissue labels, most of whom are targeting an older demographic with their physical product, no longer see CDs as a viable commercial format. This is of no concern to fans of artists whose work is reissued regularly, on multiple formats, of course. One can buy The Beatles across formats in stereo, mono, original mix form, remix form etc. Not so Chuck Jackson... But carry on with your cracks. And no, I won't try the veal.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  11. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Nothing ever becomes absolutely obsolete. As far as CD's go, the current generations are just tired of them. Once a generation that hasn't experienced them discovers the CD format, that will once again be in vogue. When that will happen will be anybody's guess, but it took around 25 years or so before vinyl was rediscovered by new generations.

ispace, jay.dee and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  12. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Plus, obsolete is really only a meaningful term if you have no use for it. I mean ultimately we use and love for music for our own needs. I would hope. I know myself that I surely am not going to stop collecting the (past) released vinyl, or CD's, of my favorite artists just because the world at large may have no use for them. Anymore than I would stop liking Kiss or Andy Gibb just because both are clearly dated and neither are "hip" in the least to the public at large.

I see similar sentiments towards the enduring popularity or relevance of artists, albums, etc too. As if we need to get an "okay" from the modern world before we say that Elvis or The Beatles or "name the legendary artist of choice" are "great". Why seek an okay in 2018 or in 2050 from a public at large as to whether "Sgt Pepper" was/is a landmark.

We should treasure what we have while we are here. Worrying about if the public 20, 50 or 150 years from now will still be using something, or still appreciating the greatness of something, is a thing none of us can know or control.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  13. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I picked up a Chuck Jackson cd on Kent recently at the link below and it's Wand recordings per the blurb on Amazon. Maybe Ace/Kent figures they have enough Chuck Jackson Wand recordings on cd already?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000013CA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

14. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

CD media will be obsolete when we lose all electricity after the great wars and our players are useless. Only phonographs powered by kinetic energy will be of any use causing the barter system to value old shellacs higher than anything outside of food, transportation, water or shelter. Those with the music will control the entertainment of those still around. In the meantime I listen to and buy my compact discs very often.

Somerset Scholar, ispace and jay.dee like this.
  15. TheGMaster

TheGMaster Forum Resident

I hate to be a troll but do you have a DVD/Blu-Ray Player? A modern disc-based gaming console (not including PS4 [for some reason])? An in-car CD player? A computer with a disc drive (yes less common with newer laptops and desktops, but still)? The reason why I'm asking is because I see a lot of people saying that they "don't have a CD player" and I mean sure they may not, but I always like to think that they are likely to have at least one disc drive in their possesion in some form.

16. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Or ever need to burn a CDR, or save off some data?

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not that its particularly relevant here, but a format going obsolete it still a potential concern from a long-term usage standpoint. What if the playback hardware is no longer available or usage day-to-day becomes more cumbersome?

CD's I don't think there's anything to really worry about, nor LP's. But look at eight track today, or DAT. I would probably be more concerned about SACD than redbook, long-term, just because of the DRM component.

jay.dee and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  18. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

True, but I guess my point was we can't control what might still be in use, or if something will still be in trend, in the future. We can only enjoy it now, while we have it.

19. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

They were obsolete 2 years after the first one was released, as soon as mainstream computers came along all physical formats were killed off and useless in my eyes.

20. TheGMaster

TheGMaster Forum Resident

It's funny because I immediately thought of VHS.

VHS has been physically and functionally obsolete for only 11 years (2007). That's not a very long time tbh. In terms of what I mean by physically and functionally obsolete, I mean like I can't find a decent VCR ANYWHERE. I mean ANYWHERE. I haven't found blank VHS for 3 years (which I was frankly surprised by when I saw them in my pharmacy in 2015.) As a personal aside, my family were relatively late adopters to DVDs. We got our first DVD player in 2004 and I remember it being so cool lol

21. smallworld

Well, Ace figures that consumers don't care in sufficient numbers about mono mixes to make a CD of the upcoming Chuck Jackson The Best of the Wand Years commercially viable. That suggests a potential shift in format dominance for the reissue of niche material. Whoever compiled the new set clearly cares enough about the mono mixes to reissue them. But the company sees greater potential for sales from the vinyl format, rather than from the rarity of some of the mixes. That's quite a shift from a little over ten years ago, when Ace released a mono Maxine Brown The Best of the Wand Years CD that supplanted (or complimented) an earlier, stereo heavy CD, Oh No Not My Baby: The Best of Maxine Brown.

Malina likes this.
  22. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

No one's ever said vinyl is the format of the future. Streaming is the format of the future. Grumpy old CD guys just pretend that vinyl is the only other option because they can't win the CD/streaming argument.

23. smallworld

I'm neither grumpy, nor old, and I'm certainly not pretending anything in the case I've been citing. Ace only have digital rights for about 25% of their catalogue. Vinyl is the only other option in the case to which I refer.

dkmonroe likes this.
  24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Well, probably the big killer for VHS was the advent of HD and widescreen TV's...consumers noticed a huge difference in quality, there was really no need to do ABX tests there. Even VHS to DVD was a noticeable improvement once screen sizes shot up. So VHS I would agree is essentially "obsolete" at this point....although I may have still seen tapes at my local pharmacy recently.

CD's, on the other hand, are still technically the same (if not better) quality as their lossy counterparts and even lossy streaming. Plus CD's have one huge advantage which is being supported on DVD / BD devices. So although they are moving towards niche status, that backwards compatibility will likely keep it going for some time to come. Or at least allowing for new hardware to exist for some time.

25. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I agree. Thanks for the heads up on the Maxine Brown, luckily it's still in print so I added it to my que at importcds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.