Project debut carbon dc sub platter

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Philip De Ste Croix, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philip De Ste Croix

Philip De Ste Croix Member Thread Starter

Hi all ,I have to pass this on to all the project turntable owners. I have just purchased and fitted a acoustand sub platter what a great upgrade this is to my ears. I can't find any reviews as yet but it won't be long,

Benzion likes this.
  2. Henry Phillpotts

Henry Phillpotts Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip. I enjoy my DC greatly and upgraded to the acrylic platter. Are you using that or the stock metal version? Tell more about what changed for you with the subplatter.

3. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

Did you just do the subplatter upgrade, or bearing too? Now if they would offer a motor upgrade, something that could be solidly mounted to plinth without causing noise, that might be something :)

New versus old ...
    [​IMG]

displayname likes this.
  4. Philip De Ste Croix

5. Philip De Ste Croix

Hi all, yes I have the acrylic platter and this is a bigger upgrade, I have the bearing as well with ortofon blue cartridge . My gear is creek amp with rega phono stage and q acoustics floor standers. I am not sure how to explain the difference it just sounds great, phil

displayname likes this.
  6. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

G
    Got a link for that subplatter?
    Interested in checking it out, did the improvement surprise you did it exceeded your expectations?
    My system is similar to yours.
    Project DC, Rega fono, NAD 3020, PSB T1

7. Budgetphile

Budgetphile Forum Resident

I’m very curious to hear more. I’d love to see how this fits because the photo is a bit confusing. Any photos and comments on this upgrade would be great.

8. Davey

displayname likes this.
  9. Philip De Ste Croix

The sub platter bearing housing is just 3 screws, it took a few minutes to complete, piece of cake. It's a straight swop phil

10. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Very interesting! May treat myself to this. Thanks for the heads up!

11. Budgetphile

What is the black metal piece in the pictures that looks to be covering the spindle?

12. Philip De Ste Croix

The black metal thing is the bearing housing, its bigger than the project housing but fits straight into the deck, 3 screws it lines up ssme holes, phil

displayname likes this.
  13. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I took delivery of one of these yesterday and it took 10 minutes to fit it. Very nice piece of kit - well made with a good feeling of quality about it. It comes complete with instructions and all the necessary bits and pieces including the lube for the spindle shaft.

First off, removal of the original bearing housing by removing the three Philips screws:

[​IMG]

Then fit the replacement bearing housing:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The new ball bearing can then be inserted into the hole on top of the bearing housing. The new sub platter spindle then needs to have some of the lube applied to the bottom shaft and the remainder of the lube can be inserted into the bearing housing hole (all rather rude I know :D). Once this is done the new subplatter can be put in place - it takes a few minutes for it to fully settle:

[​IMG]

After which, put the main platter back in place and enjoy!

[​IMG]

I only had chance to listen to a couple of tracks last night. Very early impressions are a slight improvement in soundstage and music seems a bit tighter and focused. In addition, Background and surface noise seemed to have lessened but perhaps that was Placebo effect coming into play. Like I say, I only has chance to listen for around 10 minutes. I will be testing this more throughout the coming week to see what I can find. All in all though, pretty pleased with it. Now, what do I modify next?! :D

Soundslave likes this.
  14. Henry Phillpotts

Henry Phillpotts Well-Known Member

Thanks xfilian. Will look forward to further reviews once you've lived with it. I'm tempted, but probably shouldn't spend money on something that may or may not make a good improvement (even if it is shiny)

15. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

This does look like a well built upgrade, and I'm sure a motor upgrade would be great too. But by the time you go this, the acrylic platter, and the motor upgraded you could probably just be looking at tables up one class.
    But it's cool to see something new for the tinker market. I'm personally moving away from trying to overly mod tables, but it can be a really fun part of the hobby.

Davey likes this.
  16. Davey

Yea, that's pretty much always the case, though like you say, it can be lots of fun to customize your rig to your own tastes, that can be a lot more rewarding sometimes than just buying off the shelf. And also moving up the line doesn't always solve some of the problems inherent in these lower cost designs, like how to isolate an inexpensive and noisy motor and transformer. I like the path taken by some to separate the motor from the plinth, so that the vibration path can be better controlled and either dissipated coupled through the base plate, with the only direct contact through a round cross-section silicone belt. Like my table, but it's not very inexpensive, at least wasn't when new... it was pretty inexpensive when I bought it used, though :)

I'd still like to take one of these Pro-Ject tables and try solidly mounting the motor to the plinth via some heavy mounting plate, or find a quieter motor for it, it can't be doing the sound any favors with the compliant motor mounting system, that would introduce flutter via the motor vibration. Some of the Music Hall tables seem to address this problem better by going to the isolated motor and driving the outside of the platter.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  17. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

I've just ordered the acoustand upgrades.
    Can someone please clarify, when you say it takes a while for the subplatter to settle in what do you mean? do you just leave the motor on for a while or what?

18. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

The tolerances between the spindle and the bearing are tighter on the Acoustand subplatter/bearing kit than the stock Pro-ject one so after applying the oil into the bearing shaft and dropping the subpatter's spindle into the shaft for the first time it can take ages for the subplatter to sink into the bearing, like hours and it is advised not to push it down by force.

However if you've just ordered the new Delrin subplatter from Acoustand that's probably going to be quite different to the aluminium ones previously discussed in this thread, the subplatter will be a different weight and the type of bearing has changed on the new models. Acoustand supply an instruction sheet in the box that tells you exactly what to do so you're best reading that when it arrives.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  19. Robert Godridge

Thank you, definitely will do!

20. Fool Me Thrice

Fool Me Thrice Forum Resident

Can confirm, mine arrived today and it took all of 2 minutes to drop in. Ran the motor for a bit but haven't had a chance to spin anything yet. The craftsmanship feels really solid, though.

21. Robert Godridge

stupid as this sounds, how do you even get to the motor bearing to replace it? I can clearly feel the subplatter but not the bearing! totally blind and I'm not going to start messing with screwdrivers. I have someone helping me wednesday, but his eye sight isn't best either!

22. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Just remove the platter & belt, pull the subplatter up out of the bearing, then the bearing housing is removed by undoing the three screws.

23. Budgetphile

Very curious to hear all of your impressions of this upgrade.

24. Robert Godridge

I've just made the upgrade. First impressions are great build quality, perhaps a little more bass, it didn't totally fix my arm resonance issues but helped!
    I'll post further impressions after a few lps.

25. vinnn

vinnn Forum Resident

Yeah as I said in your other thread it won't affect the performance of the tonearm but it will add a bit of mass to the table and improve the speed stability of the platter, reducing wow & flutter.
    Out of curiosity how heavy is the new one, the previous aluminium model is half a kilo.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.