Upgrading from Dynavector p75 mk3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rockness87, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockness87

rockness87 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Michael, me too I hear some distortion on loud passages but I always addresses that to the record being worn.
    Is there a way to find out if is the gain?

2. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster

This would explain why I was never able to use y cables or the mono switching box with my P75 MKII. Whenever I tried it all I got was a hum/buzz out of the speakers!

Alan

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Sorry but I don't follow. What does that mean in the practical sense?

4. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

I run the at33ptgii right now with a bottlehead seduction and a budgie sut; both are now legacy products but their direct replacements are probably better. I have rolled a few other phono stages prior; jolida jd9, phonomena ii, rsa nighthawk, parks audio budgie, lounge lcrmkiii, acoustech ph1p, but this one feels just right to me.

5. rockness87

Could you please elaborate?

Thanks

6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

You are hearing correctly. The 10X5 is a high output MC (2.5mv) and will sound hot at higher gain settings, the ideal gain for this cart is 42db. I'm shocked that it sounds good at 60db.
    The Dr T. mode is designed for low output MC cartridges ~ .3mv or so. I would suggest dialing the gain back to 46 db on the P75. I bet it will sound much cleaner.
    Don't be afraid to turn up the volume on the amp.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  7. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Not too sure what I could tell you. Not that they were bad but most of those other preamps had me feeling like something was missing somewhere; not enough detail (jolida), great detail but somewhat artificial (phonomena), slightly lacking in the high end (ph1p) or just overall poor synergy (budgie w/ sut, lcrmk3 w/sut, nighthawk).

During that time I did swap tables/amps a bit too. Maybe I just gave up on chasing the ghost!

rockness87 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  8. He was using the amp in Dr T mode with a XX-2, not the 10X5.

9. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Inverted polarity would not cause the problem you describe.

John K.

10. thegage

Generally, if all other components do not invert polarity, it would result in somewhat muffled sound and a collapsed soundstage. Some people notice, some don't. For more information Google "The Wood Effect."

John K.

11. Strat-Mangler

Any way to check whether I have the "correct" polarity? I am running mine in PE mode.

12. I never had a problem with my home made mono switch or the later version I had professionally made. Maybe something else in the mix.

13. thegage

The only equipment I ever use is my ears. Fortunately my preamp has a 0/180 polarity option via the remote, so it's easy and quick to check. Otherwise, one way is to swap speaker cables at both speakers (put the positive on the negative, and vice versa--with the amp off!) and listen.

14. Strat-Mangler

Before I attempt this, would the difference be noticeable or subtle?

15. rockness87

16. thegage

Subtle.

John K.

17. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster

Dang!' I thought I might be on to something. I still think my problem is somehow related to the P75. I could get those things to work if I went directly to the phono input on my integrated amp.

Alan

18. rockness87

Update: since yesterday I have inverted the polarity and the difference I'm hearing are not so subtle; especially on the lower frequencies where now they are more pronounced. Soundstage is a tad less wide and vocals are now more focused and forward.
    @Strat-Mangler if you decide to try it too please let me know the results of your test.

19. Strat-Mangler

What I did do yesterday was switch between the MC to PE modes and the difference was gigantic. If one mode has its polarity reversed, I'm assuming it would have to be the MC mode as in contrast to the PE, it sounded hollow, uninvolving, and in some cases, it just sounded plain bad (as if it had the wrong polarity). The PE mode sounds utterly fantastic, though!

There has been a lot of talk about the Lehmann Black Cube II SE so I'm wondering if the extra 500$ (up here) difference would make a drastic difference. For now, the PE mode sounds amazing but you know how it goes with audiophilia. When you hear something good, you wonder if there's even better. ;)

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  20. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Did you get rid of your P75?

21. rockness87

Update phono situation : as of today I'm still having the p75 and all in all I can say I'm satisfied. The system synergy is there and its very musical in the sense that most of the times I don't hear the music coming from loudspeakers but the music seems to be all around live in the room.
    But, I feel something is missing, I mean a bid of body and presence it the mid/mid lower frequencies. Miss some slam too.

I know that part of the issue is due to the at33 ptgII and probably the hegel h100 too, but I'm still wondering if I could get more from another phono stage. Maybe tube?
    What do you suggest to look for in the 1k range used market?

Thanks

22. Strat-Mangler

Lehmann Black Cube II SE. In a completely different universe. If you think the P75 is great, wait until you hear that one...

LEHMANN AUDIO BLACK CUBE SE II in SILVER, BEST PRICE, 2yr warranty | eBay

23. rockness87

Hi
    I already had an older version of that phono years ago but I wasn't really impressed..maybe it was bad cart/system sinergy or the old one sounds worst.. I don't know.
    Also, I'm curious to try to put some tubes in the chain.

24. Strat-Mangler

Lehmann has a bunch of similarly named phono preamps which can easily be confused with one another. The BCSEII is a different animal entirely and the best deal when bought used by a big margin.

Also, keep in mind that adding tubes isn't an automatically satisfying result.

Let us know what you opt to upgrade to.

25. rockness87

Last update: sold the dyna p75 and get a super deal on a second hand AVID Pulsus. Can't be any happier! While the dyna is a very very goid phono stage, especially at his price point, the avid is a marvelous piece of equipment. It's not cheap, but if you can find one in the used market don't esitate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.