Stereo for my daughter

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rpd, Apr 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Extra Dry

Extra Dry Forum Resident

:laugh::laughup:

2. rpd

rpd Senior Member Thread Starter

Maybe I’ll like them too much to give them to her!!!!

3. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

You just might. But remember, if you give them to her make her promise that you get first dibs when she wants to sell them! Also, make it a point to give her a new LP every time you visit. That should ensure she spins some vinyl and helps build her collection. That will be quite a nice sounding "starter package" that she can appreciate for years to come, move to a bedroom in the future, and a gateway to bigger and better equipment in the future. I wish you were my dad.

*Edit
    After review of your equipment I doubt you will have to worry. And I really, really wish you were my hand me down dad!

Mugrug12 likes this.
  4. rpd

I absolutely LOVE your idea of an LP each visit

chili555, Kristofa and DonnyMe like this.
  5. rpd

I would have nice floor standers, but the Mrs put her foot down a few years ago, so I have movable speakers now...

6. rpd

I have tried the 3020 with my KEF LS50’s and my Rega RX-1’s, and the amp has trouble driving them (the KEF’s say they need 25 watts, and the Rega’s say they need 30 watts).

So, I wonder if the 3020 would labor with the B’s too. She’s not a head banger at all, but I have to turn it up almost all the way to get a rockin’ volume with my two sets of speakers...

7. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

It is not a big amp that is for sure. I checked and the NHT Classic 2s I had paired with the v1 when I had it was rated 86db and were 6 ohm; I never had a problem volume wise but it was in a darn small office and mostly near field. Loudness aside how are you finding the sound of it? I think you said you had NADs before.

8. rpd

Sounds very nice.

bmoregnr likes this.
  9. rpd

Comparing the just received PSB Imagine B’s vs my Rega Rx-1’s. PSB pretty nice, but the Rega’s are clearly better on initial comparison. Using my daughter’s 3020 to drive them.

DonnyMe likes this.
  10. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Maybe not enough power to make them shine? I was driving mine with Parasound A-23

11. rpd

Hard to know for sure. Both speakers have similar efficiency

12. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

The vinyl thing may be a fad though. Pragmatic advice: Get a setup with vinyl, but make sure it's future proof in the form of MP3, internet radio, respectively can connect to such a device. All it takes is an AUX input on the amp and one of those bluetooth audio dongles connected to it. Once she finds out she can play the music on her smartphone through impressively sounding speakers, that may well become more appealing than buying and handling records ... And it's a "real stereo".

Mugrug12 likes this.
  13. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

for 400 dollars, you can find something awesome second hand for that!
    something mid 70's into the early 80's.... and still better constructed than the
    plastic junk of today.... 'dats' just me though.

14. rpd

You taking about the amp/receiver?

15. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Hey man, I'd dig around and find the amp/turntable and speakers.
    Look for the silver faced items instead of the black plastic late 80's and 90's gear.
    If you can find a set, even if they need repairing, is still much worthy than what
    400 dollars or less can provide now..... in my opinion of course.
    They are usually easier repairs, and a repair guy will welcome you more than some
    modern junk that walks through the door.
    I guess I'm saying, don't under estimate some older gear in this price range.
    Even if your kid grows out of it, you could probably 'flip it' and get your money back
    and get a couple extra bucks......
    some of us LUV vintage audio.

16. gasolin

gasolin Well-Known Member

17. Blue Nile Fan

Blue Nile Fan Forum Resident

The setup I used to have (and miss greatly) was an Onkyo TX-88 amp (It's an Integra), paired with Klipsch Forte 1's, and a Denon 340 or 360 CD changer with AudioQuest cables. WOW! What a matchup all that was. Pretty much any good TT would work, I had an AT-440mla cartridge. I had $80 in the receiver/amp, $600 in the speakers, $40 in the changer and $100 or so in cables. I would think any Onkyo Integra receiver would work for you, and find some good speakers.

18. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Amp needs to be integrated, I presume?

Marantz - PM5005 Integrated Amp **Factory Reconditioned** | Shop Music Direct

Cambridge Audio - Topaz SR10 Stereo Receiver | Shop Music Direct

Cambridge Audio - Topaz SR20 Stereo Receiver | Shop Music Direct (this one has a built-in phono)

For speakers, I'd look at Wharfedale 225's:
    Wharfedale - Diamond 225 Bookshelf Speakers | Shop Music Direct

The Cambridge Topaz 20 receiver throws in a radio tuner and a built-in phono stage for your bucks. And Cambridge/Wharfedale combination sounds great, I'm speaking from experience. All within your budget.

19. gasolin

gasolin Well-Known Member

Denon RCD-M41
    Turntable with built phonostage could be audiotechnica
    speaker wharfedale diamond 220 or 225

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.