Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

George, you got this completely wrong! It sounds like it's down a long hallway and my back's to it. Strange, to say the least.

Reading up on it, the reproducing Bosendorfer is in a performance theater, sited for the audience and not recording. There is no give to the cables feeding it, so it cannot be moved at all. It had to be recorded as best as could be done.

I was hoping -- expecting, really -- that it would be recorded more akin to the various Stereophile CDs like POEM and INTERMEZZO.

2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Well said. :agree:

Yeah, a shame, really. It's good that you didn't spend a lot of money on it.

3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

For those that have the Serkin box (or heard every version of Piano Concerto 5 he performed) do you have a favorite from that box? I think I have heard CD 36 with Bernstein but can't remember.

Which brings me to my next question does anyone keep notes about their classical listening? I used to do it in notebooks, then switched to flashcards and made an attempt to do it on Google Docs so I could access them anywhere but found that writing was more enjoyable so I would often not enter anything online.

And after an email exchange with Richard Caniell I did end up buying Immortal Performances' All Tchaikovsky Benefit concert disc that was discussed several pages ago. He said they used off air transmission lacquers and not RCA's low quality 78 rpm shellac (his words not mine). Like the Beethoven 1939 set it came with an incredibly detailed booklet, 30 pages for a single concert!

[​IMG]

I listened so some of the first movement last night, was too tired to hear more. Definitely a very nice upgrade in transparency throughout the frequencies as well as tonal color.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  4. George P

Generally, I prefer Serkin's mono recordings, but in the case of the Beethoven concertos I think he did an incredible job in all his recordings, at least up to his live 1977 set with Kubelik on Orfeo. An online friend prefers his recording with Ormandy over his others. Personally, I haven't compared them. Maybe someday.

I used to keep notes, when I was doing surveys (Chopin Ballades, Preludes; Beethoven Sonatas; Rachmaninoff Piano Concertos), but kinda gave it up, as it took the fun away from listening.

hvbias likes this.
  5. George P

[​IMG]

Enjoyed revisiting this one this morning, so much so that I plan to listen through all my Gould Bach recordings in the coming weeks, starting with one of my favorites:

[​IMG]

(I know at least one frequenter of the thread @Wes H will approve) :cool:

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That image reminds me of Thelonious Monk's bear dance :)

signothetimes53 likes this.
  7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Big fan as well and my introduction to Bach's French Suites. Was listening to Koroliov play them earlier in the weak (been on a bit of a Bach keyboard works kick).

George P likes this.
  8. George P

Freudian slip? ;)

9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Not sure if I have a favorite version of the French Suites and I have versions by both Gould and Koroliov and a number of other versions on both piano and harpsichord ...

10. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

:laugh: nice catch, actually lack of sleep. And pretty embarrassing as in my head I am a stickler for that kind of thing.

George P likes this.
  11. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have been on a Bach kick lately so I may have to get one of these Gould recordings. My latest Bach purchase is the mid 50s recording of the Sonatas for Solo Violin by Nathan Milstein and it is stellar!

12. coopmv

I have the following twofer but do not know the recording date offhand ...

[​IMG]

J.A.W. and vanhooserd like this.
  13. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

:edthumbs:
    Yep, two thumbs up... WAY up!

Uncle Meat and George P like this.
  14. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

The one you have is a later recording, from the 60s I think, but is also well-regarded. Mine is mid-50s mono on EMI. I also have the Sonatas and Partitas by Szeryng from 1961 but I greatly prefer Milstein on this material.

15. coopmv

Your recording is probably included in the EMI Icon box, which I have as well ...

[​IMG]

bruce2 likes this.
  16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Miklstein recorded Bach's Sonatas and Partitas twice, for EMI in 1954-1956 and for DG in 1973.

bruce2 likes this.
  17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Correct, on the first 2 discs.

18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The 2 CD DGG recording was my long time favorite but it has some odd recording choices, it's mic'd quite far picking up a lot of the venue which sounds very large. I wouldn't be surprised if they added extra reverb in mastering. I've never heard the original 80s CD if one exists. Rachel Podger's recordings is what I listen to now.

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have the early DG 2CD-set, 423 294-2. The booklet doesn't say when it was released, it just states the original recording and publication dates. I've not listened to it in ages.

20. George P

I don't own any of those, but of those I have tried and sampled, Grumiaux on Philips is by far my favorite. Szgeti i found quite grating.

I'm not a big violin guy, but Grumiaux frequently makes me forget that.

Wes H likes this.
  21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Do you mind posting the album art to which EMI CD this is? I'm a bit weary of EMI CD releases of earlier recordings due to their use of noise reduction. I do think Milstein is one of the greatest JS Bach players.

22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I have the DG The Originals CD pictured by coopmv.

Violin is one of my favorite instruments for its range of expression.

Will be listening to this in the evening (I am a big fan of hers, and her earlier recording of Sonata 3 on Decca is superb)

[​IMG]

23. coopmv

Just bought the following CD, my first recording by Ms. Chung ...

[​IMG]

bruce2 and J.A.W. like this.
  24. George P

A lovely disc!

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Kyung-Wha Chung's Decca years were her best.

yasujiro likes this.