Beatles Mono VINYL box set (Part #16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Nov 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Haven’t they been sold out on this for some time? Are you sure you got the vinyl box and not the CD?

2. psus2h

psus2h Active Member

Yes, they have been. I checked on the 11th and they were back in stock, confirmed it was the LP set and placed an order. Have a look at their webstore and you'll see it's listed as in stock. Cheers!

3. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

It shows as "Sold Out" The Beatles In Mono Boxed Set (14 LP)

psus2h likes this.
  4. psus2h

psus2h Active Member

Oh wow, I looked earlier this morning and it was still available. Well, hopefully my order ships sooner rather than later. Its remarkable how quickly these evaporated over the last few weeks. My local shop (Amoeba Hollywood) Has White, Rubber Soul, and Revolver mono, once those are gone that's it!

5. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

He is right, though. It was 100% back in stock the other day. I saw it with my own eyes. In fact, someone started a thread about it in the marketplace forum.

6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Welcome to the forum!

You’re gonna love that box !

OptimisticGoat and psus2h like this.
  7. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

They are selling these in the Beatles Shop at The Mirage (where LOVE is playing) for $416. Plus sales tax I presume?

8. psus2h

psus2h Active Member

For the rate they're going on the secondary market, it's not awful...

9. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Finally a Beatles product (post 2000) that has retained its resale value!

Cassius and psus2h like this.
  10. psus2h

psus2h Active Member

No kidding, I think it's quite odd how much these are increasing in value. I feel like Let it Be Naked is slowly creeping though.

11. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

They want $475 for the stereo!

12. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I wonder how good the stereo set is .. probably not because the stereo set is from the digital files ..

13. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I've got the Stereo box and as I listened to them one by one over the course of a day I found all of them to sound great, apart from Past Masters which wasn't bad but nothing to write home about. It all comes down to wether or not you like the Stereo mixes of The Beatles. I thought Please Please Me in Stereo sounded pretty good until I listened through the mono box again.

MikeJedi likes this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

:shake: The difference between the stereo and mono boxes comes down to quite a bit more than whether or not you like the stereo mixes.

psus2h, AnalogJ and chacha like this.
  15. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

Not really, The Stereo box is Black the Mono Box is White. The Stereo Box has a bigger book and has the entire catalogue, the Mono box only contains the albums that got a seperate Mono mix. If you want to get all everything digital equals bad than whatever but it's mostly a bunch of superstition and hocus pocus digital phobia from my perspective. As I said, I've listened to all of the discs, they sound great and at the end of the day it's an Analogue signal being carved into those lacquer discs no matter what the source is.
    If you are thinking about getting the Stereo Box then don't let this forum put you off, if you are really nervous you can pick up an individual disc for a test run as the Stereos seem easy enough to find. These days the real reason to go for the Mono box is that they're running out fast.

Benno123, tinnox, Solace and 3 others like this.
  16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Good post. I'm 65 and have been listening to records for a long time. I certainly don't mind a record from a digital source if it sounds good. I don't have the stereo box but I bet I'd like it.

tinnox likes this.
  17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You’re right...well, except other than the mono box was cut all analog from the analog tapes, with no compression or limiting, and no goosed eq whereas the stereo well...wasn’t.

EdogawaRampo and mpayan like this.
  18. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident

I call BS. There isn't one record out of that box that sounds as good as the old BC 13 box set. Any somewhat revealing system should show that. I bought one just for the book. Your mileage obviously varies.

EdogawaRampo likes this.
  19. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

This has always been an exaggerated narrative on theses forums, the compression is minimal and the LPs were mastered without limiting. As for the EQ they simply used it to bring out details that would have been restricted in the 60s to prevent the stylus from jumping out of the groove. The mastering process of the set is covered in the book.

20. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

The Stereo Box has always been a whipping boy here always. Haters will hate and will continue to hate. They can't stand it when someone says anything positive about them. I like them and I'm currently listening to the Help! Stereo LP now and enjoying it.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

So...the difference between the stereo and mono boxes does comes down to more than whether or not you like the stereo mixes? Hmmm.

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

And the apologists can’t stand it when someone says anything negative about them... :blah:

23. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

My feeling on the stereo box is that those who praise it go overboard as those that hate it go overboard as well. I think it sounds basically smack dab in the middle - mediocre. Nothing bad and nothing great. There’s not much magic there. The more revealing your system the less satisfying it is. As usual here, YMMV.

24. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I listened at my friends and just enjoyed the darn music.
    I still love my mono 2014 box for the super sound(to me)Some of my buddies can`t distinguish to what makes me so happy.
    Just grab a new clean pressing and proceed from there.
    If you need an audiophile starting point just jump into it and move on if need be.
    I`ll still say these recent mono reissues brought me so much fun,just what I hoped for!:)

25. culabula

culabula Unread author.

210$CDN ? Is that not ridiculously cheap?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.