Turntable Recommendations Needed!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dehost00, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dehost00

dehost00 Active Member Thread Starter

I really like the idea of the Orbit, which is why this is such a difficult decision for me. There are like 4 which all seem like excellent choices, but I'm just not sure what to go with. What makes it better than a planar 2, in your opinion?

displayname likes this.
  2. dehost00

Fair enough, I would have no intention of using it for DJing. I hear a lot of people online saying that it's better than the Technics SL-1200, which is quite a statement given its reputation. I'll definitely consider it

displayname and punkmusick like this.
  3. llama

llama Forum Resident

Planar 2 comes with what is basically a 12.00 conical AT cart. Looks like a 3600 or variant. I was able to get a better cart, the acrylic platter and an outboard preamp for a lot less. My brother has a modded P3 and he said himself the uturn is a better value over the P2. Don’t know first hand if it’s a better table but for out of the box value it wins to me.

SpeedMorris and displayname like this.
  4. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

All good choices. But I have to say, you get more for your dollar on the secondhand market.

In the last year alone I have bought and fully restored the following:

Marantz 6110 + 6100
    Dual 1019 + 521
    Techincs 1200 MK ii
    Toshiba SR-355

All sourced locally and under $120. None cost more than $150 for a qualified tech to completely refurb.
    The Marantz units also got stripped and veneered in wood and still below $300 per.

All save maybe one are superior to anything that would run you $400 new and most outperform newer tables at twice that number.
    Just some food for thought. Wouldn't want your decision to be too easy!

Fender Relic and nosliw like this.
  5. Helom

Helom Forum member

Where does one find a 1200 mkii for <$120?

6. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

CList.
    It was not pretty. Looked like a sick dog...

But some time and effort with some cleaners, hand tools and a few spots of solder to replace the tore up cables...
    next thing you know you've got a 1200 mk ii sitting in the living room next to your other rigs.

The 6110 was the deal. $30...with a V15 type IV on it.

7. Helom

Helom Forum member

^That would never happen in the KC area.

About as likely as winning the lottery.

8. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

You'd be amazed. Stuff is everywhere.

Fender Relic likes this.
  9. dehost00

I'll admit that I like the idea of a refurbished vintage TT, but it's not really something that I should throw money at right now. I go off to college in like 3 months, so ideally I'd buy a new TT, maybe a Nagaoka or Ortofon cart, and then use my money for vinyl. I plan to get back into it once my career is up and running.

displayname likes this.
  10. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

If that's the case then I would also recommend the Pioneer PLX1000. A friends' son has one - it is basically plug & play, very musical and far better than many naysayers claim (...who most likely have never heard one).

displayname, Helom and punkmusick like this.
  11. dehost00

I must say, I havent heard a single person in support of the Rega

12. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I was in your exact shoes and looked at this same lineup. I was only comfortable going new, and I went with the U-Turn without regret. I would say if you're looking at any upgrades, I would do acrylic patter, cue lift, and then the best cart with your remaining budget. The wood looks nice, but it's expensive and is all for show.
    My UTurn has taken well to both cartridge upgrades and system upgrades. It's up next on the upgrade list, but I've been consistently happy with it. I've recommend it to a few friends, who are also happy with theirs.

Cliffnotes: Damping, wiring, no pre-amp to bypass, tighter tolerances, higher quality materials. It's like comparing a Toyota to a Lexus. You immediately understand once your in person.

I haven't been hands on with a Rega, but I've read that generally Regas start getting good at the P3 level. The arm brace as well as other parts seems to really make a big jump in quality from their lower tables.

Drewan77, punkmusick and nosliw like this.
  13. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Aftermath and displayname like this.
  14. spridle

spridle Forum Resident

I looked at U-Turns of varying factory upgrades at a place that used to actually carry them around here (he still does orders but doesn't keep stock on hand). They seem like a lot of bang for your buck until you start adding everything to them. No matter what, they still have the same arm and motor. I think if I were going U Turn, I'd stay pretty basic and keep the price way down. I don't much care for the Denon and of the two people i know with them, one still has it and enjoys it, the other now has an RP1 and is happier. I think the RP1 and Music Hall are both great choices for you. They both sound good and both can handle much better carts than they come with, but what you get will sound great right out of the box. Pick the one that fits your sense of style and you'll be plenty happy. Both are solid choices, that's why so many people have them.

displayname likes this.
  15. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Agreed on the U-Turns. At the entry level price point for the basic model they are a great deal, and if we were talking about a $200 or $250 price point I'd recommend a U-turn without reservation.

However, very soon after you start upgrading the value proposition goes away IMO. For $300 or $400 there are IMO better options out there.

displayname likes this.
  16. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Keep in mind that the 2.2 was $450 for many years. Mine came with an AT made cartridge that I wasn't in love with; a new Grado Green2 has really made it enjoyable. The Ortofon it comes with now is at least competent - just depends on whether it appeals to your sonic tastes. $20-30 for a cork or deerhide mat is a necessity.

displayname likes this.
  17. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

18. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

My dream turntable is the SL1200G. One day I'll have one.

That being said, the more I upgrade my system with better cartridges and phono stages the more I like my PLX-1000.

displayname and PhilBiker like this.
  19. dehost00

Thanks for the input. I was considering a p3 for a while but decided it's outside my price range. The Orbit seems to be one of my best bets but it's like people on here say: once you start upgrading, there are better values out there. If I went with the U-turn, all the stuff I would tack on it would bring the price to around $330. 2m Blue takes it up to 505, but I'm hesitant.

20. dehost00

The 1200G is their new one right? It's a beauty.

I hadnt really even considered direct drive, but it seems as though there are a lot of fans here. Removable headshell is certainly a luxury IMO.

punkmusick and displayname like this.
  21. dehost00

22. dehost00

How did you find the anti-skate on it? I've heard people say it was cheap and not too effective.

23. dehost00

I hear what you are saying, and agree. What options do you think are better for 3-400?

24. dehost00

Do you mean the Planar 1? I only ask because I hear that the planar is a vast improvement over the slightly older RP1s. The Music Hall is definitely very appealing.

25. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Yeah, I went pretty loaded with the UTurn when I got it. Everything except the wood plinth. I was torn between that and a Pro-ject 1xpression carbon that was on sale for $600ish I think. At the end of the day the UTurn's 9 inch arm and outstanding customer service is what sold me. I returned the LP60 because of skipping, so once I read that longer tone arms can/generally track better, I figured that would solve the problem up front. I'm sure I would have been equally happy with either table honestly, but I emailed both UTurn and Project with random questions. UTurn emailed me back in under 48 hours. Project never did. That made me more comfortable too.

But now it's on to bigger and better things. Hoping to upgrade again sometime late this year :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.