Best Beatles Remix Trickery?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MitchLT, May 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MitchLT

MitchLT Two for the show Thread Starter

Ok- to balance a my negative poll on Beatles remixes (non-compilations), here is a positive one on compilations (excluding best of options- and 1+, Red and Blue Albums)

What is your favourite Beatles Remix Comp? Lots of people like Love. Me too, apart from a couple of tracks it's a great listen as a complete album. Then it's probably Anthology 2..

As a bonus, I'd like people to state any comps not released on CD which they'd perhaps like to see: e.g. Collection of Beatles Oldies, Greatest, Hey Jude, Rarities.

I saw Rock 'n Roll Music with the terrible 50's sleeve for $4.99 the other day and was very, very tempted.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

That Anthology 2 was incredible. I don't think it was remixes per se but it was mostly different takes of some of their best songs and it was done very well. There are some anomalies here and there - I don't think the version of Tomorrow Never Knows on Anth 2 sounds like what Lewisohn described in his book - but overall I was 110% satisfied with that album.

I did get Hey Jude on CD not too long ago and was happy to get it. I grew up in the US and the Hey Jude album was definitely on of the most popular albums I'd see in people's collections as a kid, right up there with Meet the Beatles, the US Rubber Soul and Sgt. Pepper. I'd love to get it on new vinyl but it looks like they are no longer interested in putting out new releases of the US versions.

NumberEight, Bern and MitchLT like this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Amazing that they managed to remix the mono BBC tapes before the word "demixing" had even been coined. Those Beatles were truly the first to do everything.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  4. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

The 09/09/09 Past Masters is not a remix.

ralph7109 and The Ole' Rocker like this.
  5. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Wow...I have no idea what we're talking about....

Dan The Man1, Vinyl Socks and Dinstun like this.
  6. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

Not sure if Anthology should be included. Pretty sure BBC shouldn’t be included. Past Masters definitely shouldn’t be included. And you left off a big candidate: the newest edition of 1.

aphexj likes this.
  7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

WELL, well, well....
    you're not counting the 'illegal' re-mixes/mash-ups'!
    I strongly encourage all of you to listen to Forum Members chrischrischris's
    WORK OF GENIUS====== CRACKED PEPPER!!!
    Cracked Pepper mashup

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  8. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this, I missed the original post. It's amazing!

vince likes this.
  9. MitchLT

Didn't include 1+ deliberately (see post- 'Best ofs' I'm not counting) and Past Masters shouldn't be in there- didn't realize it was only remastered.

I included BBC sessions and Anthologies, rather tenuously, as I was trying to capture what makes a nice listen as a complete album sort of in its own right. Because I certainly give Anthology 2 and Love frequent plays. Not so much the other Anthologies or BBC sessions. But in other bands' cases, like The Who, Led Zep, and perhaps Bowie I think their BBC albums are worth many repeat plays.

10. MitchLT

Nice one, thanks! :righton:

vince likes this.
  11. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

It seems unnecessary to exclude the remixed 1. It’s not even a Best Of, it’s a comp of #1 songs.

12. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Biggest remix trickery is turning every thread on this forum into a Beatles thread.

EVOLVIST and MitchLT like this.
  13. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I'm not really into the mash-up thing anymore, but I voted "Love", for the sound, and mixing on the tracks that aren't mash-ups.

There's some real keepers on there. I prefer the mixes of "Help!" (by a hair), "Something", "I Am The Walrus", Here Comes The Sun", "Revolution", "Back In The USSR", and "All You Need Is Love" (minus the mash-up stuff!) to the originals.

MitchLT likes this.
  14. MitchLT

I changed my vote now to Yellow Submarine Songtrack:- listened to it for the first time in a long, long while and find it very worthy and for the following reasons:

1. New and decent Rubber Soul track mixes (everyone hates George Martin's last efforts there)
    2. Lots of George Harrison tracks which are usually overlooked- particularly Its All Too Much and Only A Northern Song.
    3. Heeeeeeey Bulldooooog!
    4. I never noticed the sync issue with the vocals on Eleanor Rigby- sounded great to me

Bern and ralph7109 like this.
  15. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Picked YSS, did have a couple mistakes, but sounds good. I wouldn't want the regular albums changed so much, but since this is an album that never really existed, just makes for a nice alternate listening experience. I enjoy Love, but I have to be in the mood for it. The Anthologies have a few odd remixes. Not much remixing on the others.

MitchLT likes this.
  16. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Me neither...but I'm going to keep reading and find out;)

numer9 likes this.
  17. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Definitely Love. It's like completely re-imagining the band. In the best way possible. Actually reignited my love for the Beatles after a few years of hardly listening to them at all.

MitchLT, vince and Shaddam IV like this.
  18. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

The poll choices are definitely a mixed bag. They exist for different purposes. It's not so much apples and oranges - it's more apples and motorcycles.

I voted for Love because it's a fascinating reworking of the Beatles' material. Compilations have their place, as do collections of previously unreleased recordings, but no one saw Love coming. It's tempting to hope for a sequel, but one runs the risk of diminishing returns, so perhaps it's better to stop at one and leave 'em wanting more than to deliver and make 'em sorry they asked.

19. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Isn't the use of "trickery" in the subject title a little manipulative and "tricking" the voter into selecting "Love?" Love isn't my favorite. But it is the best example of remix "trickery." I think the Yellow Submarine Songtrack is the best remix.

MitchLT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.