Bands/artists with a huge following and historical impact, that you never explored

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rhinojack, May 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident Thread Starter

Famous bands/artists that for whatever reason never grabbed you or piqued your interest that you feel you should have explored simply because of the level of popularity they hold.
    Mine is The Grateful Dead. I couldn't name one song and probably even identify their music if I heard it. I can name one member though!

2. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Dylan. His voice sounds like an air raid siren to me. :hide:

3. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

That's not fair. These days he sounds like a lawn mower. :winkgrin:
    (And I like Dylan.)

4. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Wishbone Ash & Barclay James Harvest.

telliott likes this.
  5. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

Ry Cooder other than his Little Village stuff.

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

None. I've explored all the artists with a huge following and bought stuff from those I liked.

Christopher B likes this.
  7. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Though I never really got on board with Dylan and the Grateful Dead, I have explored their music and bought a few things.

But I never bought a single Bruce Springsteen record, though I did get roped into one of his concerts with my Bruce fanatic brother-in-law. It left me cold and unimpressed. His "exciting" show feels like a big put-on.

8. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I was, in kneejerk fashion, going to say The Beatles, but I'm not sure how you define 'explored', though, given that I've heard all their albums! Van Morrison, Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Springsteen are better answers.

Christopher B and Borgia like this.
  9. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I've explored most all the really big and historically significant (pop) artists. Some simply don't resonate with me enough to explore comprehensibly. Bowie and Dylan being probably the biggest / most beloved examples. I've explored just enough to know that I respect them immensely but that they do not allure me very much from a stylistic or repeat listening standpoint.

I surely know that there are some legendary jazz / classical artists that I have never thoroughly explored as well. Even among those I have generally liked (I've only explored a fraction of Miles Davis work, for example).

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    DiabloG likes this.
  10. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

Hate to say it, but Elvis.

11. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

To name just a few of the heavy-hitters, Rolling Stones, The Who, Dylan. Of course I have heard a fair amount of their musics over the years, I'm just not into them at all. :hide:

12. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Most big name heavy/hard rock and metal acts I have not explored - e.g. Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Metallica etc

13. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

If it's just about being not into the artist then I'll reinstate the Beatles.

mcchocchoc likes this.
  14. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Kinks, Elvis Costello, and David Bowie are three that immediately come to mind.

Fullbug likes this.
  15. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Is Oasis a big name? IF so, that's my entry.

veloso2 likes this.
  16. CJBx7

CJBx7 Well-Known Member

I have to this day never listened to an album by the Stones. I have heard Dylan's first two, as well as various albums by the Who (which I like). Generally if I like an artist's songs on the radio I may check out an album, but the Stones just don't grab me for the most part.

17. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Frank Zappa. I've heard some things and it's just not for me.

18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I used to have Autobahn by Kraftwerk, but I didn't like it at all and explored no further.

19. This thread is gonna go well.

Bullis and ianuaditis like this.
  20. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident Thread Starter

Isn't it funny how some of these truly make you feel guilty just saying it.

21. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Me neither with Elvis ... and while I know many, many Stones singles, I have never purchased a Stones album

CJBx7 likes this.
  22. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Barclay James Harvest has a huge following?

BrokenByAudio, zen and hutlock like this.
  23. CJBx7

CJBx7 Well-Known Member

I have not really explored Elvis either. I can appreciate his contribution to a point but was just never that interested; however, trailers for the recent HBO documentary The Searcher popped up in my Instagram feed and they look pretty interesting. I'd like to watch it and give him a second chance.

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  24. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Well, they had 10 top 100 UK albums and well over two dozen platinum, gold & silver record awards in the UK and Europe and have sold well over 10 million albums, so yeah I think they qualify. And I have only started listening to them.

25. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I would have to say Captain Beefheart. I have only heard his first album and I thought it quite good. I simply have not mustered the energy to hear more although I know I would like it. Ditto for Iggy Pop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.