Opinions on Floorstanding Speakers - Budget $4K

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, May 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dr.zoix

dr.zoix Forum Resident

Just get a pr of Cornscala D's, they play everything you listen too.

2. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Were you ever able to hear any of the various Tektons? I’m curious because my room size is similar and the Pens seem made for it, and various folks have mentioned the various speakers I tried but ended up taking the leap of faith instead. FWIW my faves of the ones I didn’t select included in descending order Maggie 1.7, Revel 208, golden Ear, and a Revel 206. The Pens, oddly enough, come across a lot like the 1.7s would with a well integrated sub. Weird given how radically different they are. I listen to more or less the same things you seem to like although over time I’m moving away from rock as I have always loved both classical and jazz. But for a rock concert vibe these definitely work. I just appreciate them more with Bill Evans or Glenn Gould.

3. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

Has anyone listened to the Vandersteen 3a Signature?? It is a small reach for new, and definitely in range used.

A poll done last year for a shopper with $3K to spend on speakers . Speaker shopping with $3000 budget - what have you heard? Opinions? had Vandersteen 2's the most popular choice... followed by Maggie 1.7.

Surprised nobody has chimed in on Vandersteen - what, are they becoming outdated in design? I personally wish they weren't so wide (like the Maggies) but realizing sometimes the right speaker will have sacrifices to your arrangement!

Panama Hotel likes this.
  4. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I looked at the 2's before I purchased the Focal towers. However you hit the nail on the head in regards to the look just seems outdated. Now the sound may blown me away but other than Youtube videos I have not heard them in person and their boxy design was enough to turn me off.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  5. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Only prerused first page, but I'm astounded no one mentioned Magneplanar speakers, either the 3.7i or 1.7i. Both fit your budget, but the 3.7i's will fit your room better and give you sound no box speaker can match.

6. Helom

Helom Forum member

I haven't had a chance to hear them but a friend of mine who is far more experienced with this stuff says that for those who don't want to blow out ear drums, 3a Sigs are end game speakers that can compete with some of the best - with proper setup.

The nice feature of the sig Vandys is you can trim the midrange and treble output to your liking. Aside from some slight sibilance in upper midrange ( somewhat dependent on recording), the 1Cis were some of the best speakers I've owned under $3K.

7. TheVinylAddict

Which is one reason I brought them up - it appears many like to drive these with an A21 with good results.

8. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

I own a pair of the Vandersteen 3A Signatures, got them about six years ago.

Coming from Monitor Audio Silver 9s (older) I find the 3As have a much more natural (no exaggerated top end) and involving sound; easy to listen to over a long stretch of time. And they work quite well with a broad range of music. They do need to be set up correctly, but they can sound spooky good on the right recordings.

The only things I would want to mention is that they do need an amp that can drive them properly (at least 100 wpc, and 120-150 wpc would be ideal). Also, they don't have as tight a bottom end as other speakers in their general price range, but I found I would need to spend a bit more money to get the same overall refinement and have that solid bass. But they're not bass shy. You can feel the bottom end of good recordings that actually have the info, but it's not exaggerated.

I highly recommend them, but you would need to have a listen for yourself to find out if they're the type of speaker that you'd go for.

Edit: I just noticed that you would be using the Parasound A21. Yeah, I think that could be a nice match.

9. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yes, I was told by Vandersteen they're a bit power hungry, but an easier load than something like Maggies. My experience with the 1Cis was that they had exceptional decay when the rake angle was correct for the listening height. The downside was that required head-in-a-vice seating, but in the vertical plane (speaking of a 9' listening distance). If you slump in the chair, some of that magic is lost and the decay is about par with other good speakers.

10. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

If you have a dealer nearby I'd recommend giving the KEF R700 or R900 a listen. You could do the R700s and a nice pair of subs for under $4k or the R900s as a stand alone option.

Some other good recommendations here as well.

11. TheVinylAddict

I am wondering if the Vandy 2ce sig (new) would be large enough for my room. I know it is all relative, everyone's idea of "enough" is different.

And yes, "head in vice" is probably fair, the Vandy's do have their sweet spot... I like to wander around when I play music, as well as seated, so that is a factor. Doesn't mean the Vandy's will sound bad if not sitting in the optimal location, then again I don't think I have ever had a speaker like the Vandy's that put so much emphasis on the "sweet spot" for sound.

12. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

The guy who started that poll, @cordobaman , didn't end up with Vandersteens or Magnepans.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  13. Done A Ton

Done A Ton Birdbrain

I meant to add this to my last post.

14. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

Klipsch Cornwalls!

15. TheVinylAddict

I wonder how many people that would have given the Cornwalls a shot didn't because they are 26" wide?

I couldn't make them work in my current home due to their width. Definitely a nice speaker.

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The ELAC Adante line is fantastic in this price range.

17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Either the Adante monitors or the towers will fill the space. The large bookshelves really fill the room and I have heard them with the Parasound gear which is a great match.

18. TheVinylAddict

Just curious - how big is your listening room?

19. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

It's a weird space, sort of L-shaped. 20' x 20' along the back wall and the left. Behind the listening seat is a 10' x 10' space, a staircase off to the right. The speakers sit along the left half of the back wall , about 7' apart and 8' from the listener. Further to the right is more open area.

20. TheVinylAddict

Thanks, that helps - you definitely have more cubic inches than my room and more contiguous open space, and the 3a was probably an easier choice for you... I am definitely in a room where I could probably get away with the 2ce if I were to choose the Vandersteen option.

21. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Why hasn’t anyone recommended the PSB T2’s? I think that mine are very detailed and really fill the room.

timind and Aereoplain like this.
  22. Aereoplain

Aereoplain Forum Resident

Just getting ready to mention psb.
    Near top of my list floorstander in that price range.

I333I likes this.
  23. TheVinylAddict

Update: I have been out to audition a few speakers over the last month or two, not as many as I would like (of course, limited by availability in my area and time), but here are some on my short list are:
    • Monitor Gold 200 (new) or 300 (used or at a good price new) - the smaller 6.5" woofers do cause a little hesitation... other than that the ribbon tweeter and high quality drivers are hard to ignore.
    • Vandersteen 2ce Sig II (new) or 3a Sigs (gently used or new at a discount) - what more needs to be said - large user base, many testimonials, have passed the test of time.
    • Revel F206 (new) or F208 (used or new at a discount) - these seem to elicit a "hot or cold" response, some love them, some don't... I have NOT had a chance to hear these, going solely off the great feedback of some.
    • Focal 1028be - only because they are marked down $5k at Upscale, other places. I considered the 948's or 936's but Kevin D just raves about the BE line. Not sure what to make of these as I can't get a lot of user reviews / testimonials like most Focal speakers. Many tout them, but user reviews are not plentiful.
    • Used pair of Dynaudio 380 for $4k used - older discontinued model, went for $9.5K new... not a lot of testimonials but fairly certain they are a good speaker
    • B&W 804 D2 or D3 used - I will say B&W can elicit mixed responses... not sure about this one.
    Which one would you pick an why?

I have my new tube phono amp arriving tomorrow (Tavish Adagio), and would love to pair it with some higher end speakers to really put it through the paces...I have also been testing out an LCR Tube phono amp, and again, would be fun to try with better speakers.

mike catucci likes this.
  24. timind

timind phorum rezident

I've been a fan of Revel speakers since buying a pair of the M20s many years ago. I'm currently using a pair of the Performa M22s in a small square room and love them. We just signed a contract on a house and I'll be getting a bigger room, 13x16x9. On my short list for speakers (used) are the Revel F206s, PSB Synchrony Ones, and Vandersteen 2CE Signatures or Sig IIs.

I've owned the Vandersteens, but in a way too small room. Also owned the PSB Synchrony Twos, but once again the room was too small.

25. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

That is a very good list you have going there. Those are all models that would be on my list at that price range. Good condition Revel F208 are starting to show up at $3,500 now. As to the Focals, Kevin raves about all of them in the videos he has posted on youtube.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.