Hana Cartridges

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JMT, Jan 20, 2016.

1. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I'm not surprised you find the SL bright when loading it at 500 Ohms. Musical Surroundings, the Hana distributor, actually recommends around 200-300 Ohms.

If your subsonic filters are taking out audible bass, they are not subsonic filters.

Benzion likes this.
  2. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

I sent this to Musical Surroundings(importer) and they replied that it looks like a proper "Everything in the photo appears normal. Most cartridges will have a very similar stylus angle when properly set up."
    The actual angle that the stylus is cut at may not be able to be seen on a shibata stylus.

How it sounds is still the best way to determine proper setup.

[​IMG]

3. Davey

Davey NP: Electrelane ~ No Shouts No Calls (2007 LP)

:)

It could be that he had them between the cartridge and phono preamp, so they weren't terminated correctly when he changed the load. Passive filters will be very load dependent, and are designed for a specific termination. If they were actually between the phono preamp and line preamp, don't know what the cause would be unless some other change occurred.

Helom likes this.
  4. Helom

Helom Forum member

I found the sound was quite anemic at 300 ohms.

My particular subsonic filters are intended for MM carts only. They're about -3db at 25Hz. For whatever reason, they need to see a 47KΩ load to function properly. The SL sounds surprisingly good at 47KΩ.

5. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

I think it is OK. Note that the front and back cuts of the diamond are asymmetrical, thus the infamous 92° must be measured with reference to the bisector of that V, not the diamond axis. Use a goniometer on your pictures and I bet you are not that far off from ideal.

6. morris_minor

morris_minor Vinyl addict

Here's the my latest video with the Hana EL, and Graham Slee's new Accession MC phono amp . . .

displayname likes this.
  7. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

I don't see it listed in your profile, but is that a PTP Solid12 (or 9?) turntable?

8. morris_minor

Ah - I haven't updated my profile here in quite a while .. it's a Solid12, with an SME M2-12-r tonearm.

displayname likes this.
  9. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

How do you like it? I have read very good things about them, and was considering one before pulling the trigger on an Orbe. How's the noise floor?

10. morris_minor

I love my Solid12 - it seems very quiet. I've just watched Analog Planet's latest video and Peter Reinders showed Michael Fremer a new version of the Solid with two layers of Corian, with the motor housed in the lower layer to reduce noise even further. About 1'40" into the video. You can see pictures of mine here.

Davey and tiller like this.
  11. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

Ah, I see PTP have switched to Schroeder arms. He was shipping these with Audiomods arms in the past. Wonder what warranted the change? Great looking deck you have there!

12. morris_minor

Thanks! The contrasting layer of Corian on top makes it stand out a bit! You can specify any colour you want - the plinth is made up of four layers - all could be different for a rainbow effect if you wanted. Peter supplied the SME arm and an arm board with the turntable. At the Munich show he had one table with a black Thomas Schick arm - a favourite choice it seems - and he can do arm boards for just about anything, and probably supply it with the Solid if you asked. In fact he was able to get my SME at a pre-increase price from Holland - the price I found in the UK was £500 more. He was a great guy to do business with!

13. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

I'm at about 75 hours on a Hana EH now, and, while it had a solid musical tone out of the gate, the lower midrange/upper bass really opened up at about 40 hours. Tonight I'm playing Julien Baker's "Sprained Ankle" (6131 Records, first pressing on clear vinyl), a notoriously noisy album, and it's almost silent! This is not a different part of the groove, same stylus profile and VTF as the prior cartridge, just that much lower a noise floor. Except for a couple of G+ records, this cartridge has improved on everything I've thrown its way. Best $500 I've ever spent.

willboy and Helom like this.
  14. willboy

willboy Forum Resident

:)
    The best £350 I've ever spent too. :)

Plenty praise heaped on the Hana SL and justifiably so no doubt, but the Hana EH ain't no slouch either.

15. Helom

Helom Forum member

Thoroughly enjoying the SL now that it has clocked some mileage. The tonal balance is exactly what I was hoping for - has a lush midrange similar to a Shure but greater detail and dynamics.

David A., gumsrave and Erik Tracy like this.
  16. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

This car was brought up on a thread I started asking for suggestions on a new cart.

I'm currently running a 2M Bronze on a Technics 1200GR.

Anyone running a Hana on a technics table? Anyone compare this to a Bronze? I like the sound of my set up now, but looking to experiment. Perhaps a touch of warmth too.

I've had a run of 2M carts, so I feel I'm very used to that sound. Thinking of an EL...but maybe the SL for a bit more? Which would be more forgiving if used vinyl?

Thanks!

17. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Is that a VPI peripheral clamp?

18. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I run a Hana SH on my mk2.

From my listening, the SH will reflect the state of the used vinyl - it won't hide or diminish a poor find.

The rewards of a good find will result in grins and head nods at the sonic goodness.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  19. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey Forum Resident

I’ve had an SL on my SP10 using a number of different headshells. Sounded very good to me, especially mounted onto an Orsonic.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  20. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

Trying to get through the thread from the first post onward but I need perspective so, I have to ask.
    I have a Gold Note Valore 425 Plus turntable and a Project Tube Box S phonostage.
    Which of the Hana models would work best with what I have?

Thanks
    Take Care

21. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Hana EL and SL have output of 0.5 mV. Tube Box S has a 61 dB gain setting - that's the one you will need.

22. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

Thanks so much.

23. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Thanks! I'm thinking this is the way I'm going.

Now to decide if going SL is worth the extra $$.

24. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

I installed a Hana SL on my RP3 today. Can anyone report if bass improves with break-in?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  25. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

It absolutely does in the case of the Hana SH. After mine was broken in I can report the bass is very nearly ruler flat with little ripeness nor overhang. This is the most ruthlessly neutral cartridge I ever heard. The balance is CD like with a very clear midrange and smooth extended highs with solid and tuneful bass. Furthermore, in my system as long as the arm is somewhat near parallel to the record surface VTA is close enough. Azimuth however needs to be as perfect as you can get it to avoid smearing of images. I find azimuth is more critical than VTA with this cartridge.

unityofsaints and rischa like this.