Little House on the Prairie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, May 18, 2018.

1. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

This show had good old fashioned values, something we need more than ever these days.

monovinyl, yesstiles, 905 and 5 others like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

never happen...values? that's a joke...

3. Jason Pumphrey

Sad, tis true...

Michael likes this.
  4. Michael

just look around you it's a very sick world driven my the media...I'm so grateful to have been around in the glory days of music, TV, arts and even politics.

5. Jason Pumphrey

I don't even attempt to watch the news these days...
    I can get the weather on my phone, no need to watch the news anymore...

budwhite, musicfan37 and Michael like this.
  6. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

This is pretty much the way I remember it.

GodShifter and Michael like this.
  7. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I read the books so I knew that they were making it up. as Mary going blind was barely mentioned. "We had a hard winter and Mary went blind". That's it.

8. Michael

me neither...I try to avoid at all costs. they are evil pigs.

9. Michael

no, it was true.

Blindness in Walnut Grove: How Did Mary Ingalls Lose Her Sight?

Laura vividly describes the illness: “One morning when I looked at her I saw one side of her face drawn out of shape. Ma said Mary had had a stroke.”6 After the initial stages of illness, Mary’s vision deteriorated. “After the stroke Mary began to get better, but she could not see well…As Mary grew stronger her eyes grew weaker until when she could sit up in the big chair among the pillows, she could hardly see at all.”6 The local physician, puzzled by Mary’s blindness, consulted another physician whose assessment was that “the nerves of her eyes had had the worst of the stroke and were dying, that nothing could be done.”6 According to Laura, “They had a long name for her sickness and said it was the result of the measels [sic] from which she had never wholly recovered.”6 The basis for this diagnosis was likely clinical given that there was limited, if any, diagnostic testing available to differentiate among the various childhood illnesses.

10. Michael

Albert's character was OK even if annoying at times...

AndrewS likes this.
  11. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I'm saying they never went into detail in the books.

12. Michael

OK, yea...
    you said:
    Hmm, I read the books so I knew that they were making it up.

making what up?

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Albert sucked.

Classic example of bringing in new young characters when the others have aged to a point they’re unrelated as kids. Sam from Diff’rent Strokes, Oliver from the Brady Bunch, Leo’s character from Growing Pains. All sucked.

14. 905

905 Senior Member

I liked the first four seasons.

15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

We would watch this show every single week, without fail......as a family. What a concept! Love the show.

16. Michael

his character may have, but I think the actor did fine as well as his brother...

17. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I can't believe Mr. Olsen never murdered Mrs. Olsen in her sleep. Everyone in the town would've acquitted him.

18. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

I've always loved this show at its best. Uplifting with good values. 1st two seasons are the best, IMO. Half of the 3rd and half of the 4th seasons are just as good, but the other half of those seasons are mediocre, 5th season was mediocre, then it got way too soap opera-ish for a season or 2, but in hindsight (unlike at the time) I felt that it picked up for the last couple of seasons 8 & 9 with a lot of good humor (although I really don't recall if it improved starting in season 7 or if it was 8).

Anyway, I love the big 3 Michael Landon shows: Bonanza, Little House and Highway to Heaven. Comfort food for the soul. Usually feel better after watching them.

I miss Michael Landon.

monovinyl and Michael like this.
  19. Michael

Damn! she was a fabulous actress.... she brought it on a silver platter! LOL.

Jarleboy, AndrewS and Keith V like this.
  20. Michael

poor soul ...he left us horribly...

monovinyl and Brian Mc like this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The character sucked. The actor had some talent. I don’t remember his brother at all.

To be clear, I did not like any show that brought in younger characters. It was usually a cheap tug at the heart strings, but it was done often.

I’m glad people like this show. I’m too jaded for it these days.

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

[​IMG]
    The Laborteaux brothers, Matthew (left) and Patrick, stars of "Little House on the Prairie".
    on right He played Garvey's son...

23. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Say what you want about Little House but I never got addicted to morPhene.

S. P. Honeybunch and j_rocker like this.
  24. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

So what some of you are saying is that Albert is the Cousin Oliver of Little House. Interesting.

I loved it as a kid, today not so much. Still a good show but a but boring I guess.

A year or two ago I did read this book and it is very interesting, I suggest it for anyone remotely interested in Little House.

[​IMG]
    After reading it Alison seems very lovable and nice as can be. She went thru a LOT when growing up which she covers in the book.

Jarleboy, Silken and Keith V like this.
  25. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident Thread Starter

I always thought it was funny how Charles was the only one that often had his shirt off. I'm pretty sure that was very taboo back then

Keith V likes this.