Rolling Stones Single-By-Single Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, Mar 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Hate To See You Go - Another gem from Little Walter. This is one of my favorite tracks on the album as I already liked the version by Little Walter. Savoy Brown also covered this track on their Lion's Share lp. It is a bit more high energy and the Stones seem to enjoy playing it live.

2. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

"Hate to See You Go" is a real toe-tapper. I'm glad the Stones did several different kinds of Chicago blues, or the whole album would get tedious after a while.

I have to admit, the blues -- the musical form, not the state of mind -- and I don't always get along. Blues music, whether pre-war acoustic, post-war electric, or British "blooz," is hard for me to listen to in long segments. I much prefer the music it influenced rather than the original. But I notice it when I hear it; one of the first things that intrigued me about Tracy Chapman's big hit "Give Me One Reason" is that it is essentially a 12-bar blues -- and it was all over the radio for months in 1996-97.

Maybe the blues are a tough listen for me because I have the blues so often, though, except in fleeting moments, they've passed for now. But they could come back at any time.

I don't think "Hate to See You Go" was offered to U.S. radio stations, as its only chart position was on a digital sales chart (#1 in Blues). No physical formats of the single exist in the States, as far as I can tell; a rare promo CD-R with just the one track was made available in Europe.

3. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tim, I agree with your entire post. I'm glad the Stones showcased different styles and tempos of the blues throughout Blue & Lonesome. Like you, I can't listen to blues straight through for long stretches. I tend to prefer artists like the Stones or Led Zeppelin who folded the blues into a stew of many styles of music (rock 'n roll, folk, soul, world music, etc.). Also like you, I get the blues myself and I do tend to be drawn towards positive music more often than not. I do like to lean into melancholy sounds sometimes, but that's usually with singer-songwriter type stuff.

4. MCT1

MCT1 Forum Resident

Now that we're up to Blue & Lonesome, the song I was referring to here was "Just Your Fool", which hit #27 on the Billboard AAA chart. It is one of three Stones songs to make that chart in recent years, the others being "Plundered My Soul" and "Doom And Gloom".

stewedandkeefed likes this.
  5. Parachute Woman

Well...for those of you still with me, we have arrived. Today I feature the single which is (as of this writing in May 2018) the Stones' most current single. If and when they release a new single (I hope!) I will try to add it to this thread, but this is currently where we end things.

Ride 'Em On Down (2016)

[​IMG]
    Released: 11/25/2016
    Charts: #4 (US Hot Singles); #20 (US Hot Rock); #1 (US Blues Digital)

"Shake 'Em On Down" is a Delta blues song by American musician Bukka White. He recorded it in Chicago in 1937 around the beginning of his incarceration at the infamous Parchman Prison Farm in Mississippi.

It was his first recording for producer Lester Melrose and remains his best-known song. Several blues and other artists have adapted the song, often with variations on the lyrics and music.

The phrase "shake 'em on down" may have originated in White's claim that he extorted money from hobos when he was freighthopping trains in the early 1930s.[4]

Following Bukka White's success, "Shake 'Em On Down" was recorded by several bluesmen.[2] Some used White's title or a variation, such as "Ride 'Em On Down", "Break 'Em On Down", or "Truck 'Em On Down".[4][3]

The Rolling Stones included it, using the title "Ride 'Em on Down", on their blues covers album, Blue & Lonesome (2016). The music video features actress Kristen Stewart.

6. Parachute Woman

Ride 'Em on Down
    Another great blues song and rendition by the band. It smokes along with some great guitar and stellar work from Charlie. Good driving music, as the music video suggests. I know some don't really care for Kristen Stewart in the video, but I thought she worked well. I like that the three singles from Blue & Lonesome are fairly different from one another and represent different sides of the record. They didn't pick any of the really slow numbers (like "Little Rain") but they were all great choices, I think.

On a larger note...
    I want to thank everyone who participated in this thread, with special thanks to those who stuck it out to the very end. :hugs: I started this thread because I wanted to celebrate the World's Greatest Rock 'n Roll Band and I think that's what we've done, 78 singles later. Running this thread has been a joy, as well as an education. Long live the Stones!

[​IMG]

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Three cheers for hosting an excellent thread! You offered some interesting personal insight, and maintained the thread all the way through. It elicited nice engaging conversation. Thanks!
    :cheers::cheers::cheers:

8. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I don't have much to add to the last two blues singles from Blue And Lonesome from what has already been said. But most of all I'd like to thank @Parachute Woman for hosting this epic thread. Your stories of how you came to love the Stones through your father reminded me of my own relationship with my daughter and how I taught her the basics of rock n roll and she picked up what she most enjoyed - she made sure to upload several Rolling Stones albums from my CDs. But a great job on the thread and I found our tastes often converged.

smarone313 and Parachute Woman like this.
  9. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Threads like these annihilate whatever a "professional" rock critic could ever write.
    Thanks.

10. tim_neely

This has been a really fun thread. I've learned a lot from it. It especially has given me a new perspective on the post-1990 Rolling Stones singles. Some amazing songs are part of the latter-day Stones' legacy. Nothing new is in my top 5 of all time, but there are lots of excellent tracks to which I'm happy to say, "Pleased to meet you!"

11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Amen and thank you Parachute woman, Iam sorry i turned up so very late. Your knowledge dwarfs your age.

12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I've been playing the tail end of "Grrrrr." lately to get re-acquainted with the latter day Stones.

13. tim_neely

The Stones' take on "Ride 'Em On Down" feels closer in spirit to what the late-1960s British blues-boogie bands were doing. Of course, they did it better.

It looks as if some of the scenes from that video were shot in the same concrete gulch as other films and videos; the movie Grease came to mind immediately.

The composer of "Ride 'Em On Down" is listed as Eddie Taylor, who recorded it under that title for Vee-Jay in 1955, and the publisher as Conrad Music. Conrad was set up as Vee-Jay's in-house publisher, and it still exists today; in fact, the American publishing to the Beatles' "Thank You Girl" remains controlled by Conrad.

Yet again, the only physical single of "Ride 'Em On Down" in the United States was a one-sided 10-inch vinyl single (Polydor B0025827-11) released for the Black Friday version of Record Store Day in 2016. Naturally, this was issued on blue vinyl in a blue sleeve with a hole in the cover to reveal the custom "blue" tongue logo on the label. The U.S. edition was limited to 3,000 copies. The same record was released in Europe for RSD 2016 with the catalog number 571 775-2.

The Rolling Stones and Record Store Day have been regular partners over the years. Both original music and reissues have been released on either the April or November RSD by either Universal or ABKCO or both since 2010. I think this is a complete list of vinyl singles so released:

April 2010: "Plundered My Soul" 7-inch
    April 2011: "Brown Sugar"/"Bitch"/"Let It Rock" 7-inch (first U.S. issue of 1971 UK release)
    November 2011: "No Spare Parts" 7-inch
    November 2012: "Doom and Gloom" 10-inch single
    November 2012: The Rolling Stones 7-inch EP (first U.S. issue of 1964 UK release)
    April 2013: Five by Five 7-inch EP (first U.S. issue of 1964 UK release)
    November 2013: Got Live If You Want It! 7-inch EP (first U.S. issue of 1965 UK release)
    November 2016: "Ride 'Em On Down" 10-inch

No CD-R promos exist of "Ride 'Em On Down" in the United States, but one was available in Europe.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  14. Parachute Woman

I don't participate in Record Store Day (I'm not really a vinyl collector and there aren't any stores near me anyway) but it seems like the Stones have really used the Day well. They have released collectible items that fans will be interested in and which will also help fill holes in collections. None of this "It's an alternate version of Satisfaction with Charlie slapping his knees rather than playing the drums! On exclusive red vinyl. Only $35! " stuff. :laugh: These releases would actually be worth collecting!

All Down The Line likes this.
  15. tim_neely

Odds and ends from Blue and Lonesome:

One of the most significant changes to the Billboard singles charts in recent years is that they are no longer true singles charts. Today, they are tracks charts. Songs can, and do, make the Hot 100 and other charts that are never offered to radio, retailers, clubs, video outlets, etc., as singles. Thus you can have phenomena such as what has happened in recent years, where every track from a highly anticipated album can make the Hot 100 at the same time. Imagine if such a rule was in effect when the Beatles were at their chart peak in 1964.

The same thing happens on the niche charts, too. When Blue and Lonesome was released, three different tracks hit #1 on the Top Digital Blues chart. All of the following also made the same chart in December 2016 (peak position followed by song):

#2: "I Can't Quit You Baby"
    #4: "Blue and Lonesome"
    #5: "Little Rain"
    #8: "All of Your Love"
    #10: "Just Like I Treat You"
    #11: "Everybody Knows About My Good Thing"
    #15: "Commit a Crime"

16. tim_neely

Yeah. Also, though most of them cost more today than when they were first released, they aren't ridiculously expensive. And if you look around, you can find them for closer to original retail.

17. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

Great thread, really loved taking part, but more importantly listening to so many views and so much information

John Fell and Parachute Woman like this.
  18. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Thanks for creating this GREAT thread Parachute Woman! :kilroy:

[​IMG]

19. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

well the ten inch for ride em on down was ridiculously expensive on retail (memory serves it was close to 30 bucks) I found one triple marked down around 8 bucks a bit more than a year afterwards.

20. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

It was great to hang out with you folks on this thread. I learned a lot and filled in a couple of holes in my Stones collection. Parachute Woman you are a great curator, I'll be looking for future contributions from you.

21. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Can u just ask why Blue & Lonesome at some 42 minutes was a dbl lp? Profit, or was there a huge sound benefit. Hey shorter than several Stones single lps.

22. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Thank you for a great thread. Was great to read, share and talk about my fave band

23. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Let me just add my personal thanks to Shannon for doing such a great job hosting the thread . It was fun, interesting and informative .

Also, it led me to listen to some later Stones songs I hadn't listened to in a while so it was a nice late Stones refresher course. :D

24. Parachute Woman

Just for fun, I went back through all 78 of the singles we covered and tried to pick out my favorites (taking both the A and B side into account). Here's the top 10 I decided on. "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)" may have gotten into the top ten if it had a stronger song on the b-side than "Dancing with Mr. D."

10. Wild Horses / Sway (1971)
    09. Plundered My Soul (2010)
    08. 19th Nervous Breakdown / Sad Day (1966)
    07. Tumbling Dice/ Sweet Black Angel (1972)
    06. Ruby Tuesday / Let's Spend the Night Together (1967)
    05. Beast of Burden / When the Whip Comes Down (1978)
    04. Waiting on a Friend / Little T&A (1981)
    03. Happy / All Down the Line (1972)
    02. Brown Sugar / Bitch / Let It Rock (1971)
    01. Jumpin' Jack Flash / Child of the Moon (1968)

pablo fanques and aphexj like this.
  25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Ride 'Em On Down - The Stones cover is based upon Eddie Taylor's Vee-Jay version. He was as an accompanist for both Jimmy Reed and John Lee Hooker aside from having a solo career. This is another favorite from the album and I like Eddie Taylor's original version as well. This is one of the numbers from Blue And Lonesome that the Stones have been playing live. Cool track and a bit more of an obscure song to cover.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Parachute Woman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.