Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Perhaps it has something to do with the Bear Family CD being released in 1993, while the Ace release is from 2010...?:doh:

2. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

See this movietrailer from 1983.About 34 seconds in the movie you can hear the song "I got a rocket in my pocket" without disc noise.

melstapler likes this.
  3. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ordered. Not cheap, seems to be in short supply.

melstapler, The Killer and Svein Arne like this.
  4. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Sold out, in fact.

melstapler and The Killer like this.
  5. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Yeah I didn't get much of a deal, worth every penny though.

melstapler likes this.
  6. Svein Arne

melstapler likes this.
  7. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I've always suspected that it's not at all uncommon for these terms to appear in close proximity to each other in the same sentence. Sort of like "peanut butter" and "jelly".

melstapler likes this.
  8. GodBlessTinyTim

Champion Jack Dupree's Rocks CD came in the other day. Some great proto-rock scorchers like the one below, my only issue being with the several talking/conversation-style blues tracks which are entertaining but don't really rock. Wonder if we can ever look forward to a Champion Jack box, at least of his 40's and 50's recordings...

Also ordered entries by The Cadillacs and Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup. Check out this Cadillacs tune which sounds like Bunker "The Girl Can't Dance" Hill with a vocal group:

THE CADILLACS - Holy Smoke Baby [Josie 842] 1958

Luckily mine didn't cost THAT much.

melstapler and Svein Arne like this.
  9. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

A big hole left in my collection :cheers:

Svein Arne, melstapler and spanky1 like this.
  10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Are there any other good Marty Robbins compilations on CD that include this song? I already own Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs and Essential 1951-1982, so I think the 4-CD set you mentioned might be a bit too much for my needs (and would duplicate a lot of the tracks I already have). But that song is great! :)

melstapler likes this.
  11. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. What a great song which was written by Bobby Sykes. Bobby was one of Marty's backup singers along with Jim Glaser of The Glaser Brothers.

To get this song, I'd recommend the twofer on Morello/Cherry Red which contains the "El Paso City" album in its entirety.
    [​IMG]

The Killer, Rocker and Rick Bartlett like this.
  12. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

First, the Hank Cochran.

13. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Very exciting news! Then we will need a comprehensive Nat Stuckey box set. :winkgrin:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Svein Arne likes this.
  14. Svein Arne

Here is a great 2 disc set.Got cowboy ballads not included in those you got.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drifter-Sa...pID=61mJfs5sNPL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
    :tiphat:

melstapler likes this.
  15. Svein Arne

16. The Killer

In other non-Bear related news as we do in this thread I picked up a sealed copy of this the other day for just over a tenner, pretty pleased with it, I’m not a massive Waylon fan so stuff like the Live expanded and Dreaming My Dreams (Hoff mastered) and the MFSL disc pretty much make up my collection. This slots in nicely and fills a few gaps of this period. Oh yeah I’ve The German issue SACD too of 60s stuff which is pretty good.

[​IMG]

17. GodBlessTinyTim

Cochran was far less prolific as a recording artist than as a songwriter, hard to imagine his complete recordings filling up more than three discs.

Rick Bartlett and melstapler like this.
  18. Svein Arne

Hank Cochran - YouTube

19. The Killer

Be interesting to see what they can come up with, there's a few albums, I haven't checked singles and I guess there are various isolated tracks and maybe some transcription/radio songs. There's so little of his stuff available on CD, in fact the best part of nothing, that it would be good to anything of a set however limited in content.

GodBlessTinyTim and melstapler like this.
  20. GodBlessTinyTim

Many behind-the-scenes classic country songwriters fall into that camp. Harlan Howard made a handful albums and singles throughout the 60's and 70's, Curly Putman made two records for ABC, Cindy Walker's recorded output consists of one album from 1964. Don't think any of Harlan's recordings are on CD.

melstapler likes this.
  21. The Killer

Yeah there's a Harlan CD, it's pretty good too, full of classics sung by the man himself.

[​IMG]

22. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

That's a great one! I love it!

23. Rick Bartlett

[​IMG]
    This is a great collection if you can find it, but if Bear do what Bear do, you wont have to!
    Great songs, Great recordings.

24. Rick Bartlett

25. Rick Bartlett

This was my first Waylon CD set back in the day! It's a great collection, and gave us fans a bunch of songs
    at that time, were unavailable on CD. Fond memories of this one..... and I paid 40 dollars for it when it came out! :eek: