Frank Sinatra's Capitol and Reprise recordings now under one roof

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

The exact anniversary is September 8th for the mono LP. (November 17th for the stereo.)

Karnak, MarkusGermany, roda12 and 4 others like this.
  2. Bob F

Nancy mentioned that something else is planned for a fall release. Maybe this is it?

BTW, next week marks the 60th anniversary of the first two recording sessions for the album, May 29, 1958. Two more recording dates the following month, June 24–25, 1958.

RSteven, paulmock, CBackley and 3 others like this.
  3. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

And very interesting to see that 1st session was an afternoon one (2-5PM). And it began with a "single" recording ("Monique").

But just imagine THE saloon singer starting out one of his most prized and cherished album sessions recording such soulful readings of "Ebb Tide", "Angel Eyes" and "Spring is Here" in the middle of the day, way out of his "comfort zone" 8PM-12 Midnight.

4. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Middle of the day 2-5pm was early morning for Mr S!!
    ;)

peace and love✌Dave

CBackley likes this.
  5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I have never understood why this great concert has never had a proper release on Blu-ray/DVD. I mean I know this is Frank in the later stages of his career, but the orchestra under Frank Jr.'s baton is fantastic and Sammy, Frank and Liza seem to be having a heck of a good time. I love their chemistry together. Frank always enjoyed working with his favorite singers more so than any other popular singer I can think of today. For a guy who was known for having a good sized ego, he never seemed to mind sharing the stage with other performers and in fact seemed to thrive doing it.

Sammy of course just about steals the show, but I do really love the whole concert and would love to see it with proper sound and picture remastered in high quality.

colormesinatra likes this.
  6. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Can't share the opinion that Sammy steals the show. Don't think anybody could steal a show from Sinatra. Honestly all I can say is that I saw the Ultimate Event live on stage and the absolute truth is that when Sinatra came on stage after the intermission his co-stars were absolutely forgotten!!! The crowd just went wild and all hell broke loose. He was in a different league.

RSteven and CBackley like this.
  7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Sammy was quite an entertainer.
    I love that double album at the copa. Recommended

RSteven likes this.
  8. sinatrapicturefan

sinatrapicturefan Forum Resident

9. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

You notice I say "just about steals the show" as I am a huge Sinatra fan and I agree that nobody could really "steal a show" from the Chairman Of the Board, but I will say Dean and Sammy came close on a couple of rare occasions and I do think this was one of them. I only have one Sammy album in my collection and a ton of Frank's including box sets so there is no debate about who I prefer overall as an artist and entertainer, but Sammy was stellar on that night. My favorite moment though besides the great music by all three legends is when Frank turns to Frank Jr. after a pause, when he wanted the song to start I believe, and he says to his son, "So where are you working tomorrow night?" and Frank Jr. grabs his own hand by the mouth like he's really worried about that prospect. I know Sinatra used the line before on several conductors, but it was priceless coming from father to beloved son.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    roda12 likes this.
  10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Bob F likes this.
  11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

With the unrelated bonus track, side two runs 29:04, stereo. Yikes.

12. Bob F

Not from FSE and not sold directly by Amazon UK. Questionable origin and sound quality. Caveat emptor.

paulmock likes this.
  13. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I would love it if UMe reissued Only the Lonely. Not only because I’d like to have another copy for myself, but also because I have a few friends who are vinyl nuts and I really want to get them nice new copies of this album. They’d make nice, depressing Christmas presents!

14. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Been reading some complaints about the sound of the Japan box set. And someone raised a very good point....wasn't there a time when we LIKED what Larry Walsh did?

15. Bob F

The mastering of the Japan CDs is all over the place. Some tracks are loud, brickwalled, and dynamically compressed (DR8 to DR10). But some are just gorgeous, particularly the soft ballads (DR14 or higher). “My Funny Valentine” (previously unreleased guitar duet with Tony Mottola) is DR17 and RMS level –23 dB. Go figure.

16. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I don't care who's name is on these things...formerly reputable or not....to continue to produce these sub-quality recordings is completely and totally unacceptable.

Many thanks for the report on the set, @Bob F

grumpy old man and MarkusGermany like this.
  17. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

How does the DVD compare to the original VHS of the concert. I am still waiting for my copy.

18. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Is there a dedicated thread for discussion of this Japan set?

19. kennyluc1

I cannot wait for my set to arrive. Now that I know the DVD is playable in the U.S.

20. kennyluc1

Can anyone who has the set give a review ?

21. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

roda12, vivresavie, bozburn and 4 others like this.
  22. Pal Joey

Pal Joey Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

The DVD is Region 2, much to my chagrin — I'd like to hear it in 5.1.

23. Bob F

No, it’s not. Repeating my earlier post above:

kennyluc1 likes this.
  24. kennyluc1

I am still waiting for the Japan set, it has been shipped.