Pay Pal Now Charging Fees For Using Credit Card ?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Myke, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse Thread Starter

From 2010 - 4 days ago ( 05/21/2018 ) I have paid for purchases through Pay Pal, using one of my credit cards for free. Tonight I was charged a 4% fee.

Was anyone else notified of this change ? I wasn't.

2. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Sure hope that was a mistake! Geez, companies are never satisfied...they always want more!

3. Myke

It's looking now like there was a mistake, as the seller here in our classifieds didn't receive my shipping address either. :shrug:

4. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Did you accidently make a friends/family transaction?

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Just bounced in here from the thread about eBay giving sellers no protections.
    Who knew stuff like this would start happening during a flurry of de-regluation.
    I am shocked, I tell you...

6. Myke

That's possible Joachim, esp. with my seller getting no shipping address. :agree:

7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Just to double check this was a Paypal charge and not from your credit card? If so I believe joachim.ritter is correct if you use credit card for friends and family you are charged the fee. Still, I would think the fee is more like 2.9% and not 4%.

Now if the charge came from your credit card- if the Paypal account is registered outside the US your credit card company can charge you a foreign transaction fee (nearly all of them do, the ones that don't advertise it as a selling point of their card), usually in the 2-4% range.

8. Myke

Hey Deepak, it was a Pay Pal transaction, using a credit card as my source.
    Fee was $1.03 on a $25.00 transaction. .0412 or 4%+
    Everything involved was US.
    I must've chosen Send Uncle Barney Beer Money instead of Goods and Services somehow.

rob68 likes this.
  9. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Fee was $0.30 plus 2.9%. :)

That would be the fee for sending money to friends/family funded by credit or debit card.

eelkiller likes this.
  10. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Paypal's interface has become very confusing. The last couple of things I've bought here on the forum, the sellers have not received my shipping address either.

In addition, I no longer get a choice of whether I'm making a friends & family payment or a goods & services payment.

11. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Different cards have different percentages. Amex has always been higher than the others. The placed that fixed my computer recently only takes cash or charge but adds a few percent if you pay with a card.

12. Myke

Exactly !!! Last night I made a purchase in our classifieds here, and had to go back to Pay Pal of course, but this time I was slow, and meticulous, and just as you say here, the old making a choice didn't appear anywhere !?!?! Yet, this time, a fee never came up, so I completed my payment, and so far, my seller has yet to PM me for my shipping address. Must've been successful.:shrug:

13. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

FYI paid for an item on the forums this morning and Paypal gave me the option to designate Goods & Services, so maybe they've fixed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.