Breaking Bad, The Sopranos or The Wire

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marke, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Basically. I know some wanted a straight mob show without the Dr. Melfi scenes and all of the focus on Carmela and the kids, but that is kind of missing the point of the show. Besides, they threw more than enough red meat to the fans who wanted whackings and bloodshed. ;)

2. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Yr comment got me thinking, although the cast was incredibly strong, there were few that were equal to Gandolfini. Truthfully, the one actor who was never dwarfed by JG was the incredible Edie Falco! So many amazing scenes! Howzabout when she told Tony she was fantasizing about Furio!? Imagine the scene on set after Tony put his fist thru the wall and the director yelled "Cut!";)

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  3. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I'm sure some did. I wasn't one of them, in my comment I didn't mean that I didn't want to see or know more about characters outside of "the gang," my grievance is that most of those stories were boring and added nothing to the mix. AJ in particular was not a very good actor and his character is very one-note: yes we get it he's dumb, spoiled and unmotivated. Meadow is a reasonable actress, but I didn't need to know about her college room-mate or much else about her life. Why waste time on Adriana's short-lived "music career"? I liked the Vito is gay storyline but I didn't need or want to see his post-Sopranos flapjack/firefighter love interest details - at least not to the degree that time was wasted on them.

Those are just random examples - really my point is that I'm not against these non-crime storylines or whatever you want to call them - I just needed them to be interesting and have much more of a point.

GMfan87' and George Co-Stanza like this.
  4. George Co-Stanza

Yep, Edie Falco was amazing, arguably as much so as Gandolfini. I also thought Dominic Chianese did an amazing job as Uncle Junior. Plenty of others also did a great job (Imperioli, for example), but those three and Nancy Marchand stand at the top, IMO.

I think the point was to show some of the life experiences of the minor characters and how they affect the lives of the main characters.

GMfan87' likes this.
  5. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yeah, it's clear that was your point, and people have been disagreeing with you ever since you made it. The stories were interesting and set up key subplots that informed the character dev and critical pacing of the show.

Why are you referring to the actors by the name of the characters they played? I suggest that the show's writers and directors did such a good job of transforming them into Tony Soprano's kids that you can't imagine them as anyone else, which all proves the point that they were in fact perfectly cast in their roles.

Because it informed the character development between Ade and Chris that was rather critical to the entire show, and it set up Chris' motivation to put Ade in charge of the nightclub. Why waste time on Ade at all? She was "shirt-lived" herself.

I didn't like that storyline at all, and actually it's still confusing to me as to whether it was really necessary. There were plenty of other ways for Phil Leotardo to challenge Tony's crew, so why Vito's arc had to do that and end that way, I just don't know. And you're right that it wasn't at all enjoyable to see so many episodes of "Brokeback Vito" with his cringe-worthy boyfriend. I think that after the better part of a decade being the toast of Hollywood, the show's producers had to do what seemingly every other show has to do and make some characters gay. Too bad, if true, as the show's creators should be able to stick to their creative vision without catering to Hollyweird.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A couple of recent tv shows watched Quarry and Fortitude, both pretty good, give them a 7/10 rating.

7. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I think all three are stellar shows.

The Sopranos is the criminal as Everyman. BB is the Everyman as criminal. Both are more entertaining than The Wire.

But The Wire is almost like Cinema Verite. Very complex. A character's mere glance might hold the key to something. And it has fatalism in abundance. As evil as many of the characters are, you can well imagine them doing well on a more conventional path.

KevinP likes this.
  8. Evil-link

Evil-link Forum Resident

The Sopranos = The Wire >> Breaking Bad

9. alexpop

Getting rid of my Wire blu Ray box, tried to watch it again and got bored.

10. Evil-link

Evil-link Forum Resident

Why? it's one of the best TV Series??

11. alexpop

Failed to ignite the second time. I also have a fancy blu ray Mad Men box that I've not rewatched have my doubts about it as well.

12. Evil-link

Evil-link Forum Resident

Mad Men is also very good, what type of Series do you enjoy normally if not quality TV?

13. George Co-Stanza

I liked Mad Men, but I wouldn't say I loved it.

And I hear about The Wire. I tried it several times and got bored with it as well. People say all they want about how great it was, but it just didn't do it for me. :yawn:

alexpop likes this.
  14. alexpop

Creme de la creme?

Breaking Bad
    Then ..
    GOT

Also like Lost,Deadwood, Boardwalk, Sopranos.

15. alexpop

The Wire
    The drug hooker thing, and Omar that's the good bits.:)

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  16. Evil-link

Evil-link Forum Resident

Actually Mad Men and The Wire are artistically better than Breaking Bad and GOT. Although I loved the first 3 Seasons of Game of Thrones more.

17. alexpop

The Wire was watchable first time.
    Mad Men I preferred, though don't feel inclined to watch it again.

18. alexpop

Sorry disagree with you there.

19. alexpop

Better Call Saul very good as well especially season 3 ( though that's a Breaking Bad spinoff).

20. Evil-link

Evil-link Forum Resident

I prefer Game of Thrones (Seasons 1-3) myself to The Wire and Mad Men, but one has to admit that the two are overall more valuable works. I also like Breaking Bad, but i think it's a bit pretentious and somethimes annoying, is`nt it?

If seen only the first 2-3 Episodes of Better Call Saul, wasn't very interessted in watching more.

21. George Co-Stanza

No offense, but your posts are kind of bizarre. More valuable? Pretentious? Sounds you are overthinking it way too much. Why is Mad Men more valuable than Game of Thrones?

alexpop likes this.
  22. alexpop

BCS...season 1 was kinda wt after BB.

23. Evil-link

Evil-link Forum Resident

Mad Man is a human character study, you can call it a philosophical work. Game of Thrones is more simply to enterain, altrough it has a good story and world building as well as interresting characters - but not so the last frew seasons, it got more Marvel-Style the last seasons.

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

But what's pretentious or annoying about Breaking Bad ?

25. Evil-link

Evil-link Forum Resident

it's just my taste, the characters can be annoying sometimes and the Creators seem to think: Wow We are really smart, no?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.