The Mavericks Discussion Thread (Concerts, news, Recordings, etc).

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spanky1, Jun 3, 2016.

1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

The Mavericks are an amazing live band, wonderful songwriting! What's up with the Producer chair, Amazing production was the bands second name, yes on their album. Since after 2000 it just dropped off....

Go see them in concert!

Chris DeVoe and spanky1 like this.
  2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I'm surprised the 'sessions at west 54th' gig isn't on youtube in complete.
    I'd have to have a good look for my copy. I remember them doing 'fool No1' and
    'all you ever do is bring me down'. It's listed on wiki as being 1998 as the performance date.
    Pity it's not up, they were smokin' as I recall.

edit: the 'Steve Earle' session is great too with the Del McCoury band, which is also not
    online.... darn. It was an unplugged session obviously based around his 'Train a Comin' album.
    It was excellent! Live and unplugged and they sounded wonderful!

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for sharing that article!

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Sadly, I missed the whole Mavericks weekend at Knuckleheads Saloon. I was talking to Julie the T-shirt vendor, and she said Raul's solo show was the best she had ever seen, and the audience was absolutely rapt. Towards the end, he apparently had run through his whole planned set list and said "They didn't say when I had to stop. Any requests?" and did another half dozen songs.

melstapler, longdist01 and Jrr like this.
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Does Raul know you well enough to say high if you just show up to watch? Would be neat if he had you do some video stuff at a larger gig like that, or maybe a video of his solo concert as I bet he isn't signed to a label as a solo artist. I guess since they are on their own label perhaps video wouldn't be such a sticky issue. That would be quite the feather in your cap!

6. Chris DeVoe

Nah, I'm just one of the people at Knuckleheads. We don't hang out or anything.

7. Chris DeVoe

It turns out that the show was streamed and is up on YouTube!

Here's Raul's two hour long solo set from Sunday:

melstapler and longdist01 like this.
  8. dualstacker

dualstacker Forum Resident

No issue with my "Music For All Occasions" being off center so sounds like I got lucky. Keep hoping we will see vinyl versions of "What A Crying Shame' and "Trampoline" but not too optimistic.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Thank you for posting. There are very few, if any, artists I could sit for two hours and just listen to like that. Including Raul, as talented as he is. Just isn't the Maverick's, but I did chuckle when he admitted that by saying "this is going to be nothing like the Maverick's.". Right you are, but what a voice and songwriter. Thank you for posting Chris!! I wonder if anyone posted the Maverick's show. They aren't on a label so I don't know why not. They did do a nice job filming his show! I wonder if that was in-house, or if he had the Maverick's concert filmed so they can sell it via their own label later as they self-released Brand New Day (their latest album) and kept the cameras set up?

melstapler and longdist01 like this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Trampoline has my favortive song by them, Dance The Night Away, and they had a major label budget back then so it sounds good. I'm kinda with you on the chances of that, but a ton of 90's stuff is coming out right now and I can't tell you how many releases I've seen lately where I just shake my head and don't get it as one knows some of those titles are just not going to sell. So, with a pretty good catalog of titles I think it's possible! Also, maybe Raul can buy the masters and put them out on his label. They also self released that terrible sounding live album last year, and spent some good money on the die cut cover. And it (and Brand New Day) were good pressings, so I think he really cares about getting physical product out there.

11. dualstacker

dualstacker Forum Resident

There have been some pretty interesting Warner vinyl releases in the last year like Golden Smog and John Prine so maybe there is a chance they could consider the Mavericks. Their last round of vinyl was disappointing to me with titles such as Men at Work that are so easily found in used record stores for cheap money.

12. Chris DeVoe

It was in-house at Knuckleheads. Sadly, their equipment is only standard definition and their current tech wrongly believes in stretching 4:3 material to 16:9. I downloaded it and de-stretched it for my own viewing.

Here's the first night of the two night set:

Jrr and longdist01 like this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

...and here's the second night. The exterior system is native 16:9 luckily:

Jrr, melstapler and longdist01 like this.
  14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Maverick's were on MCA and Men At Work on Columbia. They've jumped around a bit so I'm not 100% about Trampoline. But you're right, there has been some very interesting stuff released where one would never have guessed it would come out, so we'll hope and see!

longdist01 likes this.
  15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You're awesome...thanks Chris!!!!! And I agree...you don't stretch material out. Geez...pretty basic video rule!

Oh my...they were WAY off at the opening of the first song...it's on their new album so a lot of people probably don't know if but if you do, yikes.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    melstapler and Chris DeVoe like this.
  16. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I've got a really good history with them but my best story, is the 2hr 45min concert they did here. Robert Reynolds told me, it was 15 minutes short of their longest show ever. We got everything...the hits, Orbison's "Leah" and The Beatles "Within You Without You." Short of my first Springsteen show, this was the best concert, I've ever seen.

Jrr, melstapler and longdist01 like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

They've done some really amazing shows at Knuckleheads. The first of the double shows (and the last I saw with Robert Randolph) Raul's mom and dad were in the audience and he had his sons sit in on drums and accordion on a couple of songs. That one was nearly three hours.

Jrr and longdist01 like this.
  18. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you Chris, and how cool is that!

melstapler and Chris DeVoe like this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

My favorite Mavericks moment has to be them doing Neil Young's Harvest Moon. It was a beautiful night, clear and warm with a slight breeze...and I'm sorry Neil, you lost that song. Nobody but Raul should ever sing that song ever again.

Jamey K, Jrr and melstapler like this.
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I loved Raul's version of Save The Last Dance For Me, I hadn't heard the, do that before. I would love to see them record that! I haven't watched the second night yet but I'm exhausted just watching them. Few bands work that hard!

longdist01 likes this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

He's gotta way of making a song his own. I missed them in Denver last year. I hope they return. I wonder how big the crowd was? Sounded a bit quiet but maybe the mics just weren't picking it up much, which is fine by me. What I love is they really look like they are having a good time and that sets a good tone for everyone watching.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Before he joined The Mavericks reunion during the early 2000s, I remember seeing a very young Eddie play for other artists, mostly on the club scene. After The Mavericks stopped for a while during the mid 2000s, I saw him with Raul Malo, Dwight Yoakam (after Keith Gattis) and also Jim Lauderdale. What an incredible guitarist!

23. Chris DeVoe

The crowd was sold out both nights of the Mavericks, and from what I understand the room was full at Raul's solo show. But I was talking to Julie the T-shirt girl at Knuckleheads, and she said the audience was just absolutely mesmerised.

longdist01 likes this.
  24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Good to hear! I love the guy in the hat that plays the keys....he's so fun. Loved him in the Summertime video. Raul sometimes looks over and smiles at him...very entertaining. They are great showmen. I'm glad Raul's giant ego (not a bad thing imo, in this case...it's what drives people like that) doesn't compel him to go strictly solo. I'm sure they are doing well financially touring, and it's well deserved. That's a big band to support! I do hope they continue to record...I wish they would get a top flight producer though. One thing I kind of noticed from the concert, and what I have been hearing on their records since the one before Mono...an awful lot of their songs sound the same. They really need a producer!

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Eddie could also deliver a master class in "Being a Rock Star". When I've shot video and had a hand-held camera down by the stage, he played to that camera like a boss.

melstapler, Jrr and longdist01 like this.