POLL:The Beatles ‎– Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - which LP do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bherbert, Jun 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident Thread Starter

We’ve had a year to digest the Sgt Pepper remix and I thought it would be interesting to have this poll. So which do you prefer? The mono, stereo or remix? Please state why if you would like to as well.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  2. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

The original 1967 stereo mix.

Solace, AlienRendel and bherbert like this.
  3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

4. bherbert

I added the stereo as well. Good idea. Didn’t think of that :)

applebonkerz likes this.
  5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Wow...I honestly can't say! I love the remix, overall and when I first bought it, it's the only version I played for weeks. Then one night, I decided to put on one of my older stereo copies followed by selected tracks off the mono mix. I actually found myself thinking that I'd forgotten how good this really sounded, shortcomings and all. I honestly can't make a definitive choice here.

6. bherbert

I added the original stereo as well :)

7. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Is the poll about the LPs or the mixes?

8. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Remix. '67 stereo second. The mono mix of this album is too "dark," and I don't enjoy the album as much when I listen to it.

bherbert likes this.
  9. bherbert

The LP’s. Which LP is more enjoyable for you to listen to? The remixed one. The stereo or mono?

10. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

In that case, I only have the LP of the '67 stereo. But my ranking still stands.

bherbert likes this.
  11. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

I put my vote in for the 1967/2014 mono mixes, however, the 2017 stereo remix is quite good.

bherbert likes this.
  12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

1967 Mono vinyl

majorlance and bherbert like this.
  13. bherbert

The remix was slaughtered in the threads so I am interested to see how the LP is viewed a year later.

14. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Capitol stereo (early '80s Wally cut)

bherbert likes this.
  15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

UHQR for stereo and 1967 UK for mono.

ted321 and bherbert like this.
  16. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

But that's to be expected around here. Most folks appear to be near luddite status in these parts. My one MINOR qualm with the remix is that at points it felt a bit husky in the low end, otherwise, everything was done with extreme care and clarity. The 2017 remix really stands on its own and should be the chosen stereo mix for presentation.

If we want to slaughter anything about the 2017 remixes it's the surround mix that is quite unspectacular. I think Giles ends up treating that mix with almost too much care. He has the shadow of his father and the Beatles looming over his shoulder and he doesn't want to shock or offend anyone in that camp or at Apple. I get it, but at some point you have to be yourself and realize that at the end of the day you're trying to be artistic much like your old man and the Beatles. If there is any album in that cannon that would have been receptive to an aggressive remix treatment it is Pepper. He missed the boat on that one in a big way. It's really terrible.

17. bherbert

Everybody has their own tastes. People have every right to dislike the remix and every right to love it :righton:

ssmith3046 likes this.
  18. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

Mono is my favorite. Both stereos are interesting to me but still neither compare to the sonic enjoyment of the mono.

19. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I love the original stereo, there’s nothing quite like it. But for sonic bliss, the mono has it. I have an old beaten up 67 first pressing in fecking rag order which slays the competition. Even the exquisite 2014 equivalent (which is fab and gets played the most because it’s in mint condition).

But as for Giles carry-on, I am never motivated to play it since acquisition. I force myself to, but....that’s it.

20. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I agree. The 5.1 mix was such a missed opportunity. I get that Giles had to please a lot of people at Apple, etc, but 5.1 is a much newer medium (compared to 1967 technology) and I think he should have viewed it as such and really pushed the boundaries of what's possible. I'm sure if the Beatles could have worked in 5.1 that's exactly how they would have approached it. They were certainly not ones to play it safe and I don't think Giles should have been either. It's actually very surprising. And yet, that's exactly what he did - played it safe! It's a shame really, cause there's not likely to be another chance at a remix for who knows how long. I do love the regular 2017 stereo remix, though. Giles did get that right overall, imo.

wiseblood likes this.
  21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Really?

I’m sure George might have opined "What do you need 6 speakers for? It’s like being completely naked in a glass cage, with multiple cameras trained on you and being streamed live on the internet. You could make a programme of it and call it Big Brother".

22. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

2014 mono for me.

For stereo, the 2017 remix.

maui jim and Gila like this.
  23. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Original Stereo

AlienRendel likes this.
  24. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

If you don’t want to shock or offend people with remixes, you might not be the right person to oversee the project.

Then again, he offended plenty of people with this remix...and not because he was too aggressive.

MothMonsterMan likes this.
  25. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Well of course no one can be sure. But c'mon, think about it, when the Beatles were doing Pepper they were pushing every boundary there was at that time. They were certainly not playing anything safe. So yeah, I do think they would have gone for it with 5.1, if they had that in 1967.

DK Pete likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.