Cord cutters - How many streaming services do you pay for?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by telliott, Nov 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

We have
    Netflix
    HBO
    CBS
    Amazon Prime
    Hulu with Live TV...which is where I watch CNN and MSNBC (no interest in Fox News)
    of course we have to keep a Comcast Internet cable connection as well.
    I also have a small antenna on my chimney for over the air TV...it looks great, and it’s a good backup in case all of the above fails for whatever reason.
    I’m ok with this set up.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  2. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I have a DirectTV password that I rarely use. HBO blocked me after they updated their tech and could see that I don't have DirectTV - that was interesting. For about six months a couple years ago I was downloading MSNBC news shows direct from the NBC servers that their employees access. I remember when I first started using that hookup that I found using gooogle - I was looking at the url and thinking, "Hmmm, it looks like I'm in MSNBC's servers." That was cool. :laugh:

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Netflix only, although I get tired of the content. I had Hulu twice and wasn't into it. The only section I looked at was the Criterion Collection and now that is gone. Netflix has the right offerings (movies, good tv). More classics would be better. But I guess I have that covered!

4. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Only NETFLIX, don't even watch Freeview (standard TV) and haven't for about 5-6 years..tell I lie I watch 4 On Demand for Formula 1 .. listen to a helluva lot more Music these days :)

5. The problem is that they want us to subsidize all those crappy channels we don't care about. But I guess there is someone for every channel??

I would love a total a la carte pick each channel you want one my one. See how it all plays out.....

6. My modem has the twoc hannels 2.4 and 5. I get around 275 MPS with 5 if I am in the same room and around 22o if I am downstairs (2.4 is better through walls). I get about 90-100 MPS with 2.4. This is Comcast Xfinity and NOT with their upgrade Blast service. This is in Seattle.

7. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

Valid point, but I would say it depends on your circumstances. My situation? I don't have others that I have to satisfy and I'm no longer tied to the hip with mainstream media. I turned in my cable box and modem for VOIP phone with TWC (now Spectrum) two and a half years ago. It was tough going at first since I was a MLB/NFL junkie going cold turkey, but I managed. Hey, I quit smoking almost 33 years ago so there's no reason I couldn't ween myself off TV.

I pay $65/mo. for internet and $27/mo. for unlimited talk/text and 4GB data with H2O having just switched from AT&T (can't stand Verizon). I was looking to pay less than $100/mo. for combined Internet and that allowed me to do it. As far as streaming I had Netflix but cancelled over a year ago because I use YouTube Red and Google Play Music far more. I have Amazon Prime, but I very rarely stream video or music. I do HBO Now when GOT is on. I do have access to TV when I go to dialysis, but when I do watch it's just Turner Classic Movies and I have to admit to seeing some classic, wonderful movies there like White Heat with James Cagney, Dark Victory with Bette Davis, and Out of the Past with both Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas. If I could just stream that channel I would.

I don't want to say I would never pay for TV again, but right now I don't feel it's worthwhile.

showtaper likes this.
  8. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

No, I don’t get any of those. The only news I get is what’s offered on the major networks such as ABC and NBC. Stuff like that isn’t available with what I have. I use the internet for that stuff.

The converter box I have gives me things like PBS and other local stations. I do get CW and Fox which I do watch occasionally.

I mostly watch movies if I’m going to watch a lot of tv which is what I get through Amazon Prime. I had Netflix for a little while but I have found Prime to be more favorable.

Reader likes this.
  9. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Just cut the cable over the weekend. Now it’s Netflix and Hulu. We will probably add Amazon prime at some point and I’ll get HBO for a month when the next season of Game of Thrones is about to finish (so i can binge them all in a weekend).

Since I heard they cancelled The Mick and Brooklyn 99 I was honestly paying $192/month to watch Bobs Burgers and Family Guy. Just no value anymore. For what I’m saving I could finance a new motorcycle.
    [​IMG]

brownie61 and rburly like this.
  10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That thing runs on dinosaur juice. Get with it man and buy battery electric. Electrons are hot! :)

11. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Right now I use Netflix on my friends account and that's it

I stream baseball, football, college football, college basketball and formula 1

If I miss it...oh well. there's always highlights

12. AleYeah

AleYeah Forum Resident

I cut the cord with DirecTV a coupla months ago after fifteen years (!) of continuous service with them. I really think they should get in on the action and pursue a streaming-only option for consumers.

Amazon Prime and Netflix are providing more than enough content for me so far, but I also installed a digital antenna for local channels. (I was able to utilize the mounting base and coax cables already in place as leftovers from my DirecTV days.)

13. townsend

townsend Senior Member

From a cursory scan of this thread, it seems like the most common and popular pair of streaming services is Netflix and Hulu.

rburly likes this.
  14. GrahamBW

GrahamBW Senior Member

Technically, Amazon Prime, since I have that membership and it includes a streaming service, but I rarely watch anything.

I check out a lot of DVDs from my local library now. It's well-stocked and free.

15. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

youtube tv is great and has every channel we need..only $40 per month.

Also split Netflix and Hulu..

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. 905

905 Senior Member

Hulu plus
    Amazon Prime, but streaming is just the bonus for two day shipping.
    WWE Network off and on, growing up in the 80s and 90s I was a big wrestling fan and sometimes want to feed my nostalgia.

17. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Hulu Plus
    Netflix
    Amazon Prime

Plus using my mother’s access from her cable subscription (she never uses them herself):

HBO Go
    Showtime

That access also let’s me in to FXNow and Starz and many others via Apple TV.

It’s way more content than I have time for, but I like knowing it’s all there when I want it.

18. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

CraveTV
    Netflix
    Amazon Prime

19. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Google Play Music so I can get Youtube Red.

telliott likes this.
  20. None.
    I borrow DVDS from the library. With interlibrary loan you can get just about anything. I do buy used DVDS, usually for $1.00 or less.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  21. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  22. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

brownie61 and Michael Rose like this.
  23. Martinev2

Martinev2 Forum Resident

Nothing.

I got rid of my tv a year ago. I stream for free on the networks in my country. You can view their programs for free within a week of airdate including some movies.

I have a cinema subscription for 30 euro's a month and live in the middle of the city(20min walk for 3 diff cinemas). I often watch a movie with friends or just alone during a quiet time of the day. 4dx, Imax, 3d or Dolby, its all included. Sometimes we watch movies together at friends' places. So no need for a tv. No time either :)

Chris DeVoe and Michael Rose like this.
  24. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

When I can't sleep I will put on reruns of Mythbusters. Close my eyes, listen to the audio and typically I'm out before it reaches the first break.

I'll watch reruns of It's Always Sunny whenever I need something that makes me laugh.

I don't get how these companies are shelling out huge amounts for series.

Michael Rose likes this.
  25. dbacon

dbacon Forum Resident

Netflix
    Hulu plus
    Amazon Prime
    HBO
    Showtime
    Starz
    CBS all access
    + Roku
    + Directv