Pink Floyd - PULSE rereleased on vinyl - official

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mestreech, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Every
    single
    time
    I ordered from SSD same crap... i just don't order anything from them anymore.

jimhb, varyat, Jam757 and 1 other person like this.
  2. mafurman

mafurman Forum Resident

I am going to chime in an say that I use and like SSD quite a lot. I find that as long as you are not in a hurry to get a title, SSD gets it to you a a terrific price and their packing is excellent. Their list prices are not always great, but with 20-25% you can get good value for new titles (like Pulse). I used to use their coupon codes for MFSL releases, but it seems they may have started excluding those from coupon use.

After reading the raving reviews of the sound quality and pressing, I used the 25% coupon code to order Pulse yesterday. I have no problem waiting a few weeks for the order. If, on the other hand, they tell me it is out of stock in a week or two, then I will be mad and it will prove Jam757's point to be true.

3. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

It is true every time I ordered anything from them at all over 3 years... It's never in stock

varyat and Jam757 like this.
  4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

First time ordering from SSD, I take it? :rant:

5. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Mine arrived this past weekend. Will be waiting on me when I get home tomorrow!

6. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

No, not at all. There was a time when they were my preferred seller actually. They had good sales and free shipping on any order $29.99 or more. They weren’t as fast as the other sellers even then but I attributed that to shipping distance. (Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds and Elusive Disc are like 1 day shipping for me due to proximity).

I swear they’ve gotten so much worse over the years I just stopped using them at all. This recent wave of 25% off flash sales did fish me back in though. I’m questioning whether that was a mistake.

7. VintageVinylVets

VintageVinylVets Active Member

Good luck with that. One of our staff won in their “Great Weekend Sweepstakes.” They ordered the “Pulse” box set by Pink Floyd(a preorder) and a pair of Marshall Major II headphones. They placed the order April 23rd last month. Well after nokt back for over a week, they emailed SSD and come to find out it wasn’t in “inventory.” Then come to find out it would be another 10 days before they would even see them arrive at their “warehouse.”

The headphones finally arrived at our office two weeks ago or less. Guess what? Yep, they were defective. They then emailed SSD only to hear back a few days later stating they “no longer” carried those and included return label in the email. They said once they received the headphones back, they would credit them back and they could reorder something else.

Now they’re still waiting on the “Pulse” boxset that was released May 18th. They heard back today(after we emailed them AGAIN)and now they are telling them they are “reorganizing their warehouse” and “realized” that they haven’t received any of the “Pulse” box sets in sinventory yet. We all just looked at each other in disbelief like,”Are you kidding?” We know wonder if others had similar circumstances?

David Jakubowski and HankM like this.
  8. HankM

HankM Senior Member

Yeah, I am aware of the problems that SSD has in the past and problems they are still having. I tempted to just cancel the order, I knew when I ordered it it could take awhile and as you know by now I still haven't received it.

9. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Still waiting as well. I have another preorder in for the Yes and ZZ Top boxes also. I haven’t decided what to do. I assume none of these should be too hard for them to get as they aren’t rare. This practice of selling items on line that they don’t plan to stock ahead of time is worrisome though. It alludes to financial weakness.

I don’t want to add to any problems they may be having but I wonder what happens to those preorders if they were to declare bankruptcy. They charge your card up front. The consumer may never get that money back.

10. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I know that someone has confirmed the Q-Sound but I would still like to read a comparison review with the original. If someone wants to buy the new one for me I will gladly compare it with the original vinyl...!

Seriously, I need to know if it's any better or worse. At $80 I'd probably take a chance and find out for myself, but at £100...?

11. Bigdz68

Bigdz68 Forum Resident

I called in and was told they are filling orders in the order received. I then mentioned I pre-ordered April 4th shortly after it was announced. Dead silence after that then I was told it would be shipping soon. I'll call again today for another update. Why pre-order if they can't ship by or on release day....

sonofjim likes this.
  12. HankM

HankM Senior Member

I just emailed them stating to cancel the order. I can order it from Amazon or Music Direct and have it delivered Saturday. My payment was through PayPal also, just in case they get squirrelly.

I wonder how long does it take for them to ship hardware?

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  13. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Got my EU pressing yesterday and I'm playing it from start to finish right now. Sad to say that there are some visible and/or audible scratches on a couple of record sides, and one inner sleeve has a two inch seam split. I'm thinking of returning it, 125 euros is a lot of money for an imperfect set like this...

14. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I have never listened to this album because I hard stop after 1977 for Pink Floyd. But with all these rave reviews I decided to take the plunge. I also stopped my Pink Floyd listening at Meddle before the reissue campaign. This whole campaign had broadened my Pink Floyd horizons so much. I love all the early albums now. I accept Piper as a 60s London pop-psych masterpiece. I just bought an original early Tower copy just to have a vintage cut. I have gone deep into the early period and have been richly rewarded. So maybe there's some musical value to the later stuff too.

I worked some trade magic and was able to acquire a set for a very good value. But it's so heavy and beautiful that I don't want to open it. What a wonderful object this boxset is. I am really looking forward to hearing what Astronomy Domine sounded like in 1995.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  15. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Regarding SoundStageDirect; I look for something on the site or browse at least once a day and I hardly ever see something is in-stock anymore- it’s always ‘usually ships within 4-7 business days’. It’s become discouraging because now I know better.

I ordered Pulse and Ray LaMontagne’s new one on the 18th using 20% off because the 25 off said expired even though I’d just received an email reminder there was still time to use it. My fave locals all got it in but priced at 100 bucks and up. With the sale I was getting Ray for free, and I’ve bought from SSD many times over the years so was not concerned about the packing. The sale was worth the supposed 4-7 Days wait. I also emailed about the discount code not working but don’t worry about adjusting my order just throw a sticker in or something with their new logo (which I love!). They said they don’t have anything but gave me a $5 coupon code towards my next order. Their customer service does remain first rate even if fulfilling orders has fallen off.

At some point I sent an email inquiry thru the site asking when they expect to ship, received no reply. This morning I tried the live chat and was told it would be a couple more weeks before they receive either titles and offered to upgrade my shipping for free.

Knowing they’ve just had quite a lengthy 25% off sale and assume they do not have a very large crew packing orders as stock comes in, I’m too impatient to wait another 3-4 weeks so I cancelled and ask they refund my paypal, which they did within a couple minutes (thanks Mary!).
    I ordered it for $80+tax on amazon and delivery date is the 6th. I was worried about it bouncing around in a big box so I’m glad to read they’re being mailed in secure boxes.

I’ve always wanted this album, never even had it on cd, so I’m really looking forward to it. My friend has an original, I can’t wait to compare packaging side by side.

sonofjim likes this.
  16. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I share your observations on SSD. It seems there’s been a major change in their business model over the last few years or so and it really makes me wonder if they’re struggling to the point they can’t afford much overhead. They really seem to be turning a lot of customers off who just buy from another seller. I’m considering canceling my order as well which is “processing”. There’s no way this can be a sustainable situation for them.

I’ve always really liked their commitment to vinyl, packing and customer service. It seems they may be losing out to the big dogs though (Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds, Amazon). These days people have little patience for any delay in delivery, let alone a few weeks.

groovelocked and marcb like this.
  17. kcjayhawk

kcjayhawk Forum Resident

Just placed my order with SSD on 5-28 and they shipped it 6-1??? Hopefully everyone else has theirs shipped now.

18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Szeppelin75, DBMartin and Opeth like this.
  19. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I ordered mine on April 2. Yea... It has yet to ship. I recently recieved this:

"Unfortunately, the shipment with one or more of your items has been delayed. We anticipate it's arrival within the next 3-4 business days at which point your order will ship out and you will receive a tracking number. If there is a further delay, we will continue to keep you updated. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

20. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Still making my way through the Pulse box. Record 3, the Dark Side material, sounds awesome.

Nice pressing. Vinyl is very quiet. Music is crankable.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  21. Myke

Is this a box with a lid, or do contents come out of one side ? I'm trying to decide if I want to buy some more outer bags for large box sets. I'm all out.

22. LeeGriffin

LeeGriffin Forum Resident

The box is more of a thick slipcase with the contents coming out of the side.

Myke likes this.
  23. Myke

Thank you.

LeeGriffin likes this.
  24. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There....

Is it just me, or does David's vocals sound thin on this remastered LP? Once I increase my volume his vocals, seems to sound even thinner and maybe a tad too much high end. I went as far as to conduct a full table tune up. No change. Tossed on another LP (Live in Gdansk) just to make sure my stylus wasn't on its last legs. Sounded great. Popped in the Pulse CD (new battery for blinking light...yay), sounded beefier. Is this just me? I know my hearing is shot from abuse, but dag nabbit, I was really looking forward to this 1st time listen on vinyl.

c-eling likes this.
  25. Cambot

Cambot Forum Resident

I just got my order from Soundstage Direct yesterday (6/7) and I ordered back in March when they were doing their $25 coupon deal.

The packing is perfect and I'll have a listen tonight.

Tor33rpm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.