Han Solo Anthology Film - "Solo: A Star Wars Story"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

From what I read, he was working with the same screenplay Lord and Miller were. They didn't write it so the script didn't have to follow them out the door. However, they were encouraging the actors to improvise, something the producers didn't want.

Ron directed about 70% of the movie:
    ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’: Ron Howard’s Reshoots Make Up 70% of Finished Film — Report

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Song4U and snowman872 like this.
  2. I was 14 when Star Wars was released and definitely in their target demographic. When Blade Runner was released I was 19 and went to see it on release -not just for Ford's presence, but because I was a big SF fan. Not sure how typical I was, so maybe you have a point.

coffeetime and Solaris like this.
  3. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

sunspot42, coffeetime and snowman872 like this.
  4. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

You mean you didn’t choke up in the arms of death? :eek: :laugh: One wonders just how close they really were? It’s sorta the off limits talk we’ve never thought possible with droids and it’s now in our Star Wars movie. :confused:

5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Vidiot and delmonaco like this.
  6. David Campbell

Oh, I'm aware. It's just a shame that we live in a society where "fans" can't seem to separate the actor/actress from the character and proceed to bully someone to the point of driving them to these measures. Same thing happened to Jake Lloyd. "Fans" made his life after The Phantom Menace a living hell and now he's completely psychologically damaged.

I don't care if you hated TLJ or not. Doesn't give people the right to treat others like crap because a movie disappointed them.Especially being so blatantly sexist and racist in such bullying.

Sometimes i think most of these " fans" completely miss the messages of heroism, compassion and Friendship that George Lucas endowed his films. They claim Luke Skywalker and Han Solo are their childhood heroes, but they act more like The Emperor and Vader.

supermd, Plan9, snowman872 and 2 others like this.
  7. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I hate that crap.

8. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

The magic of the cinema.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Hate to say it because Ill be lambasted as a woman hater; but if that Fembot wasnt a feministic statement card I dont know what is.

There were aspects to the robot I liked but the Lando crush and robmance was a bit cringie.

10. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I agree and worse was after he robmance the death scene what made it worse and much more awkward was when Lando stepped into the cabin and Han said something about I’m sorry. The silence was awkward for the viewer.

mpayan likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Im all for giving credit where its due though. Id actually place this one in the category of at least having the fun factor. Something I could not say for Rogue One. And the Chewie/Solo backstory was believable and interesting to watch. There is no one that can be Han Solo. So if one is going to give this movie a chance that aspect has to be put aside.

12. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

^^^ Actually, no one can be Harrison Ford but the new guy makes a believable young version of the Han Solo character.

Bowie Fett likes this.
  13. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Truth is, I've held off seeing Solo because the prior film was so disappointing. Guess I'm in the once bitten, twice shy camp. I suspect a lot of folks may have held off buying tickets this time based on the perception that the franchise is taking a creative nose dive. Mixed reviews certainly play into this, but I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around for disappointing BO numbers.

:cheers:
    Cat

14. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I was 10 when Blade Runner came out, too young to see it at the cinema. I campaigned my parents to rent it on video on the basis of Han Solo being in it. Safe to say I didn’t know what to make of it. It wasn’t until the late 80s when I started reading Effinger & Gibson that Blade Runner began to make sense. And down the slippery slope of BR fandom I went, way after the initial release.

It’s embarrasing having to share a planet with these people, leave alone purporting to enjoy the same film franchise. And these people think the filmmakers should be listening to anything they have to say?

Plan9, sunspot42, Bowie Fett and 2 others like this.
  15. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

16. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I’m not sure what’s the idea behind this persistent pushing the discussion about SW movies into the realm of racism and male chauvinism. Is the premise that a considerable part of the SW fans are like this, or that there’s a small and aggressive group that’s very active and vocal, but without real weight and power to affect the success of the franchise?

If it’s the former, then we have to accept that the franchise owes a great deal of its success over the years to some primitive brutes, and either have to give them what they want, or to be banned, or to try to alienate them by offering what they hate the most, hoping to win some new, more sophisticated and tolerant audience.

If it’s the latter, then is this even worth a discussion? There are people by all ethnicities in this world that are racists; there are men that hate women, and women that hate men; straights that hate gays, and vice-versa; there are some silly teenagers or brain damaged adults just trolling all over the internet, and so on. Every celebrity is a target for such people, and this is not related to someone’s participation in a SW movie, IMO.

budwhite likes this.
  17. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Toxicity is an element of every fandom. I’m a Star Trek fan, and you see the same level of toxicity and vitriol in that fandom. Racism in fandom is a microcosm of racism in humanity. Fandom is just another vehicle for the minority of racists to exercise their hatred, and the Internet has given them a very large and very loud megaphone.

delmonaco likes this.
  18. David Campbell

Wow. So we either just tolerate it or ignore and hand wave crap like this and just give the type of people that spent the last 6 months trolling and calling her ugly, fat etc and harassing her what they want?

I'm sorry but the last thing Star Wars or it's sane fans needs to do is to give in to the demands of the fools and idiots. Anyone who harassed her because they didn't like a character she played should be ashamed of themselves. In my opinion they are not fans of Star Wars. They are malcontents who just want their way and will stoop to any level to achieve what they want, which is to breed more hatred and venom and toxicity.

And its not about what effect they have or Don't have. It's about simple human decency. Its ok to express your distaste for a movie or character. It's NOT okay to belittle and bully an actress or actor or anyone over it. I don't care if " all celebrities endure this." doesn't make it right or something we as fans should ignore and excuse.

If we all can't agree this type of behavior is wrong and uncalled for...well I feel bad for us as fans.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  19. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I agree that the main success of it was that it captured the spirit and style of the originals. It had none of the magic however, IMO.

I mostly liked it, for what it was. I grew to dislike the "easter eggs" as there were too many of them, they were too obvious and they frequently served no purpose.

20. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

It goes both ways. KK has gone out of her way to say she doesn't need the approval of male SW fans, and if you search "star wars white males" on Google there are a ton of articles talking about how SW has a "white male problem," whatever that means.

My point is that if KK/Disney want to go there, of course that element is the fanbase is going to respond.

budwhite and Rhett like this.
  21. David Campbell

So why is that Kelly Marie Tran's problem? Just because KK said some questionable things it excuses harassing an actress that isn't responsible for what KK said? Her only "crime" was being paid to act in a movie KK produced.

sunspot42 and coffeetime like this.
  22. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I don’t believe the theory that fans are getting burned out and the movies were too close. I can guarantee you had Solo been a blockbuster hit and had all glowing reviews, fans would have blessed the film and complained that Dec is too long to wait for the next one. We want more.

23. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

What I mean is that all this shouldn't be linked with the SW franchise and the typical SW fan. Perhaps she would be in the same situation if she gained the similar level of popularity and exposure by some other activity or another movie/franchise of such caliber.

marblesmike likes this.
  24. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I think it's a mix of both: "Fatigue" in the sense that we were only roughly six months out from the last Star Wars movie - one that was divisive, to say the least. Six months isn't long enough to build up any sort of anticipation for something new.

I think waiting another six months might have given the studio and Howard time to work out the production issues, as well. Plus it would have faced less competition at Christmas, rather than having to come on the heels of both Infinity War and Deadpool 2.

David Campbell likes this.
  25. David Campbell

It may not be exclusive to Star Wars, but it certainly is more prevalent than usual among a small yet very loud segment of fandom. They may be insignificant in the grand scheme of things but their presence and tactics can't or shouldn't be ignored.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.