Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

yes ... meddle, animals and final cut if they are going to leave the wall as the movie only in 5.1

melo85, RPOZ51 and makedatmusic like this.
  2. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

And if they're loosing that one, let's have the OBC 5.1 that got nixed too.

jlf, Bonddm, polchik and 7 others like this.
  3. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Will it be a standalone release or a box set with a live show...finally?!?

craigobau and NunoBento like this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've already got mine. :tiphat:

5. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Knowing that Animals in Surround is finally around the corner is phenomenal news now the big question is whether they're gonna release is it as a standalone SACD / Blu-Ray or put it on a big box with lots of extras. My feeling is for the latter. The imagery around Animals is second to none, I want EVERYTHING related to it.

P.S.: As a side note, I work on the construction of the Battersea Power Station complex. A dream within a dream.

6. mark winstanley

so burn us all a copy.... cheers

7. kenanna

kenanna Well-Known Member

One more reason to anticipate Autumn in Texas. Thank you, Ron.

rontoon and tedhead like this.
  8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No equipment to do so.
    No DVD-R
    No car to take me to the PO.
    Sorry.

9. Imperious Leader

Imperious Leader Forum Resident

Great album. The guitar solo at the end of Pigs is the best ever

10. mark winstanley

oh well, thanks for thinking about it :)

GoodKitty and Myke like this.
  11. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

So @rontoon . Do you have any clue about which 1977 show was being worked on, as you said in the other thread? Oakland?

A 1977 live album is the stuff of dreams.

craigobau likes this.
  12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Sorry, I wasn't given specifics.

13. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

The best PF/Gilmour guitar solo ever. Always gets me, even after all these years.

Instant Dharma and rontoon like this.
  14. Gray Varisco

Gray Varisco Well-Known Member

I think the Animals release will be a standalone Hybrid SACD as AcousticSounds is releasing DSOTM and WYWH SACD reissues in the fall.

15. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

I'm betting on both an Immersion box (with Dolby Digital DVD-V and lossless Blu-ray) and a standalone SACD, like Wish You Were Here.

Bill Mac, andrewskyDE and coffeetime like this.
  16. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I'm going to say (and hope) that there's a new stereo mix.

There have been statements from the band regarding dissatisfaction with the sound of the original. For that reason, I think we're talking new stereo rather than surround, though there may be that as well.

andrewskyDE, ohnothimagen and PDK like this.
  17. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

If anyone is remixing this, it's James Guthrie. If James Guthrie is remixing it, you can expect surround sound for sure, but I wouldn't count on stereo. (If it were Andy Jackson, you could possibly expect both.)

marcb likes this.
  18. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

After listening to the 5.1 Meddle, hidden in the big box last night, I began again wishing Andy Jackson was doing Animals. So much stuff in the rears. JG mix will not be like that. Yes, some of the "effects" will make it to the rears, but nothing like the Meddle mix sadly.

19. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Animals Immersion box with a live 1977 show will pretty much complete my REALISTIC Floyd want list. Fingers crossed!

20. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

YESSSSSSS. That tune does not get enough praise, imo. Waters' galloping bass line drives the song, Wright's keys are adventurous, given the parameters he was working within, and Gilmour's outro is so ridiculously awesome. It's Townshend-esc to my ears.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  21. davesmoked

davesmoked Forum Resident

I'm not sure but isn't Gilmour playing that bass part? Funny that it's one of my favorite basses in PF catalogue

PDK, Instant Dharma and J_D__ like this.
  22. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

According to the wikis, you're not wrong: David Gilmourlead guitar, co-lead vocals, rhythm and acoustic guitar on "Dogs", bass guitar on "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" and "Sheep", talk box on "Pigs (Three Different Ones)"

Although another forum member did a count of Waters vs Gilmour on bass (who played on which tracks) and I thought Roger played bass on Pigs. In any case, it's still a powerhouse song by the group.

23. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Its true. I wish I could find the Musician magazine article where someone asked Gilmour this very question, and Gilmour replied: "Roger playing fretless bass?" Someone in another forum thought that he was talking about "Hey You", but I'm sure it was "Pigs" because I could easily tell at the time that "Hey You" is fretless, but was somewhat surprised that Pigs was also fretless until I heard it again.

Listen to that run up and down the bass near the end of the song during the guitar solo. Roger is also seen holding a Fender strat at the 1977 live shows playing rhythm while Snowy White plays bass on both Pigs and Sheep. On Roger's current tour, he is one of two bass players in his band during Pigs 3DO.

24. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I would much prefer Atom Heart Mother to Meddle for the 5.1 treatment.
    Why do The Floyd hate AHM so much? Because it was Geeson and the orchestra who did all the heavy lifting? Anyway I want it in 5.1.

25. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

No one hates Atom Heart Mother. It is my least favorite Pink Floyd non-soundtrack album and Ron doesn't get near enough credit for it, but no one hates it. It's simply a good album among great ones. And if you're going for ATM in 5.1, why not get someone to do a whole remix, assuming the tapes are still around. Now Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, well, I won't say I hate it, but it's the low point in the repertoire for me.

Surferghost and NunoBento like this.