Han Solo Anthology Film - "Solo: A Star Wars Story"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Darth Vader is James Earl Jones. Why he's not on the cover of the Blu Ray is a mystery to me, but he's black (literally, and of African American voicing), and the primary villain of Rogue One.

The counterpart to Mendelsohn's character was Jin's father, another white British-accented male. So I really don't see what the big deal was with Rogue One. Yeah, the Asian guy was obviously put there to appeal to the Chinese market (which you have to do these days for a big ticket action blockbuster). We're supposed to be up in arms because two of the whitish men good guys have some ancestry that is not white? I barely find it noticeable. Nothing to see here in the SJW regard, IMO.

sunspot42 likes this.
  2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Not saying they aren't doing it deliberately, but these complaints suggest that it can only be "forced" and thus unnatural to have a diverse cast.

sunspot42 likes this.
  3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The trailers for this film didn't exactly excite me, and I'm still burned out from the Last Jedi ordeal, but I wasn't totally opposed to seeing this. However, now that I've heard this film has a bunch of droid "#metoo" stuff going on and Lando getting busy with a robot (I always knew he was really Lobot's dad!), I think I'm going to throw in the towel. Not only on Solo but the whole thing. Enough is enough. This isn't entertaining anymore. I'm not giving Disney another red cent. These films aren't for me. I'll just watch "Jaws" for the 800th time instead. May the Force be with me!

Kubricker likes this.
  4. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

They are doing it deliberately. Diverse is natural - using the word "diverse" in the true sense, rather than "non-white males" which is what diverse has come to mean.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  5. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

I don't know anything about this YT channel but this seems to sum it up quite nicely regarding statements made by KK, Rian J, JJ Abrams, and Kasdaon's kid

Kubricker and Sondek like this.
  6. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Oh? That basically says that people's attention span for Star Wars stories is very limited and at least a year needs to pass before they are excited to see a film about it again. Trouble is, television has shown that not is to be the case. People watch 8-20+ episodes of shows each year, separated only by a week (or all at once now on some services). That is many hours of watch time, obviously far more than a single film. The Star Wars Universe has the same potential as Star Trek in this regard.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

To be fair, sometimes movies can seem to embrace "diversity" in a phony way. That's how I felt about the Lost Boys in 1991's "Hook": their composition felt more like an self-conscious attempt to be "diverse" than anything else, and it felt fake.

Still, I'll take "over-diverse" over "under-diverse" any time. If the course "over-corrects" to compensate for all the years of underrepresentation, that's fine with me.

And I've had no problem with the diversity in the "Star Wars" films. Feels natural enough to me - doesn't seem forced or phony...

8. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

That's true - change the language - win the argument.

marblesmike likes this.
  9. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I think he meant just a sly cameo on the screen for a couple of seconds without any speaking parts a la Alfred Hitchcock. Ford could have been a patron at the bar, or at the spaceship station as a passenger near the start of the movie.

Song4U and ianuaditis like this.
  10. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Only the feature films and the Clone Wars TV series stayed canon when disney bought it.

regarding race and so forth, I don't have a citation, but I recall reading, even in the early novels, that the Empire was infamous for its human chauvanism. I can't think of one high ranking alien in the Imperial military.

sunspot42 and marblesmike like this.
  11. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

No. You've completely missed the point.

You don't have to be alt-right or give a damn about the alt right to see that there's an agenda at play that causes division. One that, despite using words like "diverse" is anything but. Have another look at the cover of Rogue One. Think about the new main heroes in The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Apart from the legacy characters, they're all "diverse" (quoted because I am using that word in the sense it's often used now, rather than the true sense of the word).

There is no issue with women or ethnic minorities being lead characters in blockbuster movies such as Star Wars - a franchise that's been around for 40 years - as long as you're not going to make the overall majority of bad guys white males and not include white males in your "diverse" set of new heroes. That will cause resentment and division amongst the fanbase. And that's exactly what's happened.

Steve M., Scott222C and marblesmike like this.
  12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Bwahaha.

Hey, you can't blame it all on Kathleen Kennedy. I agree! I also blame "The Last Jedi" for Solo's lukewarm response! Like I didn't exactly rush out to see "Jaws III."

Boys, watch the socio-political stuff. We'll get shut down.

marblesmike and ianuaditis like this.
  13. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Anyone ignoring the divisiveness (perceived or real) of TLJ having an effect on Solo is just fooling themselves. With that said, I think it was a perfect storm of multiple f-ups that led to Solo bombing at the box office.

Scott222C likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, man. Solo needed more weight. So tell me, is the PRE-Jedi? PRE-Rebellion? Why couldnt more of that leaked in. And you can't tell me rumors or references to The Force wouldn't have existed for a thousand years. But yet no reference to it. Even irreverently? What this film was, IMO, was a lesser James Bondian Stars Wars movie: Flufferoo in the "saga" sense. And yet: I'd watch another.

15. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I wouldn't say The Force Awakens was infinitely better. The first half was good, the second half was quite dull though imo. Rogue One was okay for me, better then Solo, but not the most exciting Star Wars movie ever. I enjoyed The Last Jedi the most. My point with the SJW agenda is the rift it's causing within the fanbase. Kennedy could do with dialing back on it a little at least.

Solo flopped for a few reasons imo. It was released at the wrong time (while Infinity War and Deadpool were / are still showing), rumours of production issues put fans off, a lackluster marketing campaign, underwhelming ratings, lack of excitement about a Han Solo movie in general.

16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, I was going to point that out, too. For all the whinging about the new films being all "SJW", in the original trilogy the villains were a lot less diverse than they are now. Yet nobody seemed to have a problem with it.

Can't imagine what's changed...

Seems to be that way. It's exactly how spoiled brats behave when they start to get treated like everybody else - lots of screaming and foot stomping.

I'm glad someone pointed that out. Wonder Woman also outperformed all of those other DC flicks. Prepare to hear more whining from the basement dwelling contingent, because Hollywood is almost certainly going to be chasing this kind of success for the next several years.

17. NettleBed

I liked that there were no references to "the Force." Why would there be, from these characters? In the original trilogy, it was made clear that "the Force" wasn't part of the parlance of the average person.

IMO there was way too much in the way of references to the other films already. I'm glad at least they kept Solo Force-free.

snowman872 likes this.
  18. marblesmike

Yeah they've deleted some of my posts. I guess I'm of the wrong social persuasion.

Funny, my posts which are polite get deleted. But the guy who calls people Nazis gets to stay.

See, more generalizations that are okay because one "side" creates the rules.

Scott222C, snowman872 and Rhett like this.
  19. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Yes - happened to me too. I called the poster out on his BS and my post gets yanked for that. His incendiary post stays? Shows bias on gorts!

Scott222C and snowman872 like this.
  20. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

James Earl Jones voiced Vader but he wasn't under the suit, and the character is in a mask anyway (Anakin - who became Vader, was white too). I don't see the point you're trying to make there.

Jin's father wasn't really one of the main heroes that got much screen time or was on the posters. I don't see where you're getting "We're supposed to be up in arms" from? Who do you think is saying anyone should be up in arms?

Steve M. and marblesmike like this.
  21. marblesmike

I'd like said gort to respond here to explain to me why it's okay to passive aggressively call people Nazis for disagreeing. It's also demeaning and insulting to me, a half-jew, as well as the people in this thread who up until that point were having a respectful dialogue.

Scott222C, delmonaco and Rhett like this.
  22. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

You have Phasma, and a couple of female officers dotted here and there. Hence I said "almost all", rather than "all" earlier, but the contrast when it comes to diversity between the good / bad guys is overwhelming.

23. NettleBed

The suit is black an it's voiced by a black man. It caused a stir at the time (1977) that Darth Vader being colored black and being voiced by a black man was further evidence of demonizing blackness.

There truly is nothing to see here, in terms of SJW in Rogue one. Yes, there was an Asian character who probably didn't need to be Asian. But that's it. Anything else is just people making things up to get upset about. Why can't the hero be a woman? I don't see that as forcing a diversity agenda.

TLJ is another matter, but I'm talking specifically here about Rogue One.

sunspot42 likes this.
  24. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I think that's more to do with whether they're good movies or not. Think about the last Ghostbusters movie.

25. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Well, that stuff about the suit being black is just ridiculous.

I don't see why you're singling out one ethnic minority out of all the main heroes and saying he didn't need to be Asian? Look at the cover again. Page 53.

I've already explained my thoughts on what you've asked. I don't see why you're asking again unless you didn't read what I wrote before?

I'll copy/paste what I said earlier as you seem to have missed it or you didn't read it: "Think about the new main heroes in The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Apart from the legacy characters, they're all "diverse" (quoted because I am using that word in the sense it's often used now, rather than the true sense of the word).
    There is no issue with women or ethnic minorities being lead characters in blockbuster movies such as Star Wars - a franchise that's been around for 40 years - as long as you're not going to make the overall majority of bad guys white males and not include white males in your "diverse" set of new heroes. That will cause resentment and division amongst the fanbase. And that's exactly what's happened."

Steve M. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.