Tascam CD-RW 900 MKII review

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dxer2_2000, Aug 2, 2017.

1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

NOT Music CD-R. Which his JVC CD Recorder must use. Has to be Music CD-R, data or professional blanks won't work.

PhilBiker likes this.
  2. Beaglemaster

Beaglemaster Forum Resident

Right. That's the only thing I don't like about the recorder. Plus, not many companies are making Music CD-RWs anymore except for Maxell, and they're expensive. A 10 pack on Amazon currently goes for almost $40.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    PhilBiker likes this.
  3. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

There are many listings for Music CD-Rs on eBay for not that expensive. What am I missing?

4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I've always enjoyed recording, I've got boxes of cassettes that I recorded. Been actively recording CD's since the 90's. I've never recorded CDRW. I always understood it to be that those discs could only be played on CDRW compatible machines. Can't use them in cars or standard CD players. That was always a deal breaker for me. Not being able to erase and re-write simply means you better get it right the 1st time!;)

As far as availability of CDR's, I've been buying them online for many yrs and have never had a problem. Never understood the talk about shortages.

5. Beaglemaster

"There are many listings for Music CD-Rs on eBay for not that expensive. What am I missing"

I know Music CD-Rs are not that expensive. I said Music "CD-RW". Big difference in price and availabilty between Music CD-RW and Music CD-R wherever you shop.

PhilBiker likes this.
  6. Beaglemaster

There's no shortage of CD-Rs that I know of either. I referred to Music "CD-RW" not CD-R. Hardly anyone making Music CD-RW anymore. There's a big difference in price and availabilty between the two formats.

PhilBiker likes this.
  7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have never used a CD-RW. CD-R's are so cheap, why bother using a CD-RW?

8. Chris Schoen

Ya, the JVC Professional blank CDR's are made in Japan still. 100 for $30. On Amazon.

9. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

For me, the answer to your question is that the RW discs allow me to make needle drops for me to rip to my NAS. My setup doesn’t allow for rips directly to a hard drive. Since I have the vinyl as my backup I don’t need to keep copies on CD-R. The RW discs suit my needs perfectly.

Beaglemaster and PhilBiker like this.
  10. Chris Schoen

Yeah, I do needle-drops to cd-r (Tascam sl-9000) and then load them to my iTunes library (then to my iPod Classic). I do like having the cd as a backup, and to play on a cd player.

dee likes this.
  11. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Ahh, yes. CR-RWs always were a very niche item, for computer or Music. I'll keep an eye out when I hit the thrifts.

12. Chris Schoen

Yes, and the controls are very accurate.

The Beave and McLover like this.
  13. Beaglemaster

Right. Many musicians and/or people that do needle drops prefer to use CD-RW for various reasons. I like to use them to check for volume levels that might need adjusting when making music compilations from various sources. I then listen to the CD-RW to check the volume level of each song. I might have to do this a few times before I have the volume level of every song to my liking. Then, and only then, do I burn a final CD-R. Doing it this way saves wasting CD-R discs. I then erase the CD-RW to use again.

The Beave and PhilBiker like this.
  14. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Recording to sd card is way more convenient and you can burn a cd on your pc if you need so.

ubiknik likes this.
  15. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Both my friend and I have the MKI verson, with the slot loader, the CD-RW900SL. He usually listens to vinyl and is quite surprised how well the 900SL does with CD playback. Neither of us ever use headphones though. It seems that headphone listening is very much favored these days. Don't know why.

16. Beaglemaster

Not applicable. My standalone recorder doesn't take an SD card. Also, it's connected to my stereo receiver, not my computer.

17. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Was speaking in general, in case one is at a point to choose between cd and sd recorder.

18. Chris Schoen

It records pretty much what you feed into it. I have a hard time hearing a difference between the record and the cd-r. So easy to use too.

19. Chris Schoen

When my cd recorder goes, I am going to a SS unit.

20. Jonny White

Jonny White New Member

Hi. I'm thinking of buying one of these. My sole purpose for doing so would be to record from vinyl and import to my iTunes library- something I've done very successfully for 10 years with a Sony RCD W100 (now dead). Would people here recommend it? Good remote? Can one manually mark tracks whilst recording an LP using the remote? Recording levels straightforward to set?

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  21. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Looks like the price on this has gone up from $350 to $400 since I last posted about this unit. Bummer.

22. Rocketstail

Rocketstail Forum Resident

Now you are scaring me :yikes: I bought a Tascam CD-RW901MKII months ago but I've not even used it yet. :laugh:

23. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Yes!;)

The Beave likes this.
  24. Beaglemaster

Crutchfield had it on sale for $299 not too long ago, while everyone else was selling it for $350 or $400.

The Beave likes this.
  25. rockindownthehighway

rockindownthehighway Not interested

TASCAM gear is for studios and broadcast. The priorities on the CD burners are making good recordings without breaking, and being flexible enough for broadcast with features like que-up, chaining multiple devices etc. I would not expect them to have the best playback quality.