Finally got a plasma tv.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jun 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thanks for information.

2. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I have always loved SONY CRT TV's back in the day. My brother has two newer SONY sets and the picture looks like you are watching thru a very high quality closed circuit TV. Something is "too real" about the picture. I can't place my finger on it. I'm wondering if he has all the menu features turned on or something effect wise.

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Significantly reduced color fidelity.

I am all for cutting edge technologies as long as they don't detract from other critical areas. Eagerly awaiting true 4k non-pixel shifting laser projectors to enter the realm of "affordable". And still waiting for VR to really take off without just gimmicky "you're in VR!" type of apps.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

He probably has sharpness jacked up and that awful "motion blur reducer" thing activated - that gives movies the "soap opera effect"...

5. alexpop

I see LG got a new 77" TV.
    My next one will be larger than my 55".
    A lot of blu rays/films come letterboxed tbat reduces the size of picture image on a larger screen. 100 inch maybe a wee bit ambitious. But, definitely a larger screen next purchase.

6. alexpop

3D ?

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm very doubtful of that. I would expect to see at least some prototypes of 8K.

alexpop likes this.
  8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I had a 32" Sony XBR CRT, it had an amazing picture and was still working when I finally retired it after 10+ years of heavy use. It had decent sound too along with wireless headphones, PIP, and digital screen zoom/freeze. Was probably one of the best CRT TV's back in its day.

The Pinhead likes this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I know a guy who has had a Plasma TV with heavy use for more than a decade, and the thing still plays like new. Same with my sister's Sony Plasma, the picture quality is fantastic. I thought plasma TVs weren't supposed to last very long.

10. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I've still got a 34" Sony CRT in my bedroom! Beautiful HD picture and great sound. Sony's last great tube tv, I'll keep her til she drops!;)

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No reason why plasma's shouldn't last long. Certain things are affected by long term use, such as a dropoff in brightness and saturation (compared to as new), but as this is a gradual degradation over years, most people won't notice it (or will crank up the brightness slightly to compensate). The other possible issue might be burn-in, but unless you're playing games 24/7, it's usually not much of an issue (especially if you run a screen-wipe every once in a while).

12. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Our Panny plasma is fantastic and no problems after 8 years. We are not heavy TV watchers, maybe 1 hour a day average.

13. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

My last-generation Panasonic plasma is still going strong. I kinda wish it would go south as I'd like to go 4K, but it's nice not to have to spend the money.

John K.

14. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

My Panasonic TC-P50G25 from 2010 is still kicking. Looks fantastic. When it dies, I'll go to the LG OLED65C7P or equivalent.

15. alexpop

My Panny is five years old apart from the remote sticking ( just BD buttons) all is tickity boo. Likewise I'll have to wait till mines die till I get the most affordable best which could be in a few years. Be interested in what's out there in the 2020's. Definitely a larger screen at least 75".

16. alexpop

In a big department store checking out TVs the other day. TVs helluva lot different to five years ago, no doubt picture is better. Design wise nothing knocked me out, with any of them. Always good to speculate though.

17. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

My 12 year old Panny Plasma still gives me a wow factor. The newer, thinner, lighter versions today are nice, but I don't have the upgrade bug yet. My only complaint with my tv is the weight, the heat it gives off (only during the summer months), and now I wish it was larger.

alexpop likes this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Five years ago? Ancient history, dude!

19. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

A few months ago I bought my first flat TV, A LED 32¨ Philips; nothing fancy, we only use it a couple of hours a day and we still watch the news on small CRT.

How long are these expected to last ? Our small CRT is 18 years old and going strong; I don't expect the same from these modern LED contraptions.

alexpop likes this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, the LCD you bought should last just as long if you only watch 2 hours a day. The most vulnerable part is usually the power supply circuit (which can be fixed, if it goes off, but I can't imagine why you'd want to keep it another 18 years - by then we'll have direct laser retinal scan TV!) .

The Pinhead likes this.
  21. alexpop

Not impressed with the designs I seen 2018, dude!

Scott222C likes this.
  22. alexpop

The paper thin screens ( careful wobbly) only advantage is being light ie disposable friendly.Of course Oled, stunning picture.

23. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I’d like to try a good plasma out at some point merely for curiosity’s sake. That said I still keep my xbr960 hdcrt going. Despite a little phosphor trailing it’s the best tv I’ve ever owned, and was Sony’s finest tube ever. The clarity and lack of visible scanlines makes most anything look stunning despite only being 1080i. Nothing touches it on black levels. They are absolutely pitch and if you had nothing displaying you’d think it was off.

Only problem is the IC chips on the power board go out and you have to solder new ones on. Mine have gone out and I have the new ones but I’ve never attempted a repair of this sort.

24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I still own and use my 34" Sony also! Totally agree about the picture quality, stunning! AND it's still problem-free. Got a 50" Plasma and a 60" LED, but the Sony remains my all time favorite!

captainsolo and The Pinhead like this.
  25. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

YOU fellas are. We don't even have 4K down here yet. And HD is a relatively new thing (coupla years) We're WAY behind and prices don't help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.