Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

I absolutely love atom heart mother and the Quad mix from The Early Years box is truly amazing!! Would love to see a standalone 5.1 mix as well!
    The entire Pink Floyd catalogue deserves to be released in 5.1 actually.

melo85, ceddy10165, Tristero and 4 others like this.
  2. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

That would be outstanding. Animals is one of my favorite Floyd albums. It never has seemed to have gotten the attention it deserves.

Surferghost and NunoBento like this.
  3. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I completely agree with your wish for a live 1977 show. However one of the things that slightly worries me is that because this is an Animals release, they will decide only to include the performance of Animals and not the performance of Wish You Were Here from the second half.

cmi and NunoBento like this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Got that one too. :winkgrin:

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree 100%! I prefer Andy Jackson's surround mixes to James Guthrie's mixes. I find at times that there is not much separation with the DSOTM and WYWH 5.1 mixes. I much prefer the 5.1 mix of The Division Bell to the DSPTM and WYWH 5.1 mixes.

6. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Roger does.

7. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I think he hates being upstaged, this time by Geeson and his orchestra.
    He hates Have a Cigar for the same reason. Roy Harper sang the vocals.

J_D__ likes this.
  8. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Oh come on, I don't buy any of that for an instant. Roger developed a relationship with Ron Geeson, they put out an album together. Roger was probably THE one who asked for his help on Atom Heart Mother. Roger asked Roy Harper to sing Have A Cigar after being less than satisfied with his own vocals on Cigar. Drama, drama, drama.

9. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

The multi track tapes for AHM along with most pre 1970 Floyd tapes were destroyed so Quad is the best we will get.Meddle up to current day are the albums mixable to 5.1,and a few songs from 67 to 70.

10. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Two albums actually :)

klockwerk likes this.
  11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

And Gilmour:
    "I think both are pretty horrible. Well, the live disc of Ummagumma might be all right, but even that isn't recorded well." - Himself on Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother

"Atom Heart Mother was a good idea but it was dreadful. I listened to that album recently: God, it's sh[​IMG]t, possibly our lowest point artistically. It sounds like we didn't have any idea between us, but we became much more prolific after it."

"I think Atom Heart Mother was a good thing to have attempted, but I don't really think the attempt comes off that well." - Himself on Atom Heart Mother

PDK, M.R.Collins and Myke like this.
  12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

The quad mix is fantastic. I'm not sure that they could improve on it, so I'm less interested in AHM getting the 5.1 treatment than some of the others.

wolfram likes this.
  13. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Jeez I love atom heart mother... I agree with ummagumma though. I hardly revisit it and when I do I’m reminded that I don’t like it much.

Anyways, Animals immersion box set style would be very welcomed. If they do the recent 2 disc smaller box version, they need to have title and band name on the side. It bugs me that endless river and rattle that lock don’t have any identifying info on the side.

14. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

He must have changed his mind about Have A Cigar. I remember well to have read a quite recent interview with Roger where he said that he regrets to have someone else but him singing that song.

15. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

I adore AHM and Ummagumma very much and always found it kinda sad that they obviously don't like it. The studio work of Ummagumma is not an easy listening but Grandmaster Meadows and Narrow Way are real treasures. Sisyphus is outstandingly grafted and very illustrative. Masons effort a bit washy but I liked it for it's unconventional weirdness as well. - I am happy they dared to release such albums! Wish they would rediscover their experimental joy sometimes with their current releases.

tedhead and JimW like this.
  16. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

Source?

pfausto and Kim Olesen like this.
  17. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Waters still whinges about Roy Harper's vocals forty years later. Watch the BBC documentary on the making of WYWH. Waters says something like "I would have done a better job" and picks up a guitar and sings it as if to prove his point.
    I would say Roger, get over it.

tkl7, Baidur and Kalli like this.
  18. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

He also said he could have "done a better job" on last year's LP - that time addressed to the Big Man upstairs. Compared to that I guess Roy Harper's fairly small potatoes.

Anyway, Waters is Waters. It would be nice if we could all 'get over it' rather than endlessly dredging up this stuff in every PF thread.

Edit: I would like a remix of Animals in some form. If there's live 77 stuff all the better, though if that happens I would assume it will only the the Animals part of the show.

19. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

I think regarding the discussed matter it was quite reasonable to cite Waters. By the way I totally agree with his statement on the last record. But potatoewise I disagree.

20. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Just what I have read for years here and other Floyd forums for many years ,hopefully everyone who knows way more than me is wrong,i would love 5.1s of AHM ,UG and Piper.

21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

But how will it sound on my mono Bluetooth speaker??? :D

22. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Very folded.

ebro, Surferghost, jlf and 3 others like this.
  23. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Yes, but regret is a loooong way from hate. He made the right decision at the time in my mind, it takes some of the bite out of all the dramatists saying Roger is biting the hand that feed him. People in the press just love drama.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    penguinzzz and Kalli like this.
  24. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I think its fair comment. It gives a scary insight into what ultimately happened to Floyd.

25. I've never owned any sort of fancy stereo equipment, let alone a 5.1 player. Modest integrated bookshelf systems and the like are all I've ever owned over the 30-ish years since I graduated from high school in 1987.

But if there ever was a 5.1 release that might convince me to consider getting a 5.1 player, it might just be Animals.

Still not super-likely, but I'd at least consider trying to fine a reasonably priced used 5.1 player, perhaps.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018