Interpol - LP6 "Marauder" August 24, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DorothyV, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident Thread Starter

pexie, Gaslight, npc210 and 6 others like this.
  2. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Is Carlos D. back with the band yet?

3. vulcangascompany

vulcangascompany Forum Resident

Great to have them back! It's interesting they have chosen a Garry Winogrand photograph for the cover - love his work.

crispi likes this.
  4. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Mmm, don't think this is a good sign:

The band revealed the news via a live-streamed press conference held in Mexico City. Marauder marks the first time they’ve worked with “an unfamiliar producer” since 2007’s Our Love to Admire, in this case Dave Fridmann (Spoon, The Flaming Lips). They recorded directly to two-inch tape at Tarbox Studios in upstate New York between December 2017 and April of this year.

So will Fridmann's slammed to the max approach negate the use of tape?

5. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

I've struggled to enjoy most of the bands output since Antics (which I rank as one of my all time favourite albums), but i always live in hope that the new release will move me in the same way that Antics did.

pexie, Zensound and James Bennett like this.
  6. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Trust your instincts on Antics and all that’s followed

craigobau likes this.
  7. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Meh. New song is mediocre. Doesn't come close at all to the first couple of albums.

8. deadcoldfish

I don't think he's ever going to be back.

9. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

This is bad news. Really bad news. I haven't kept up with DF's work lately, but he's ruined more great albums than I'd like to count. And somehow he convinced the artists (I'm looking at you, Sleater-Kinney) that it was an "artistic statement".

pexie, Rgfinch and deadcoldfish like this.
  10. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

JeffMo likes this.
  11. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I actually need to pull El Pintor out again, since it didn't wow me upon release or stay in rotation very long.

But I will also give the new one a listen with an open mind.

Neonbeam, jamesc and Dave 81828384 like this.
  12. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

I actually like them all. Sure some are better than others, but I don't think there is a bad one in the lot.

13. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

Mr Fridmann ??

I wasted my cash on the last Mogwai album which bore his trademark "sound".

Distortion all over the drums - unlistenable in so many places. Will listen to plenty of samples before spending any money at all on this.

14. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

I really like the new song. I'm looking forward to this album more than any other release this year. I felt "El Pintor" was a return to form after the somewhat inconsistent self titled album. Interpol is no doubt my favorite post 2000 band.

15. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

It's spooky because last night a fantastic gig by Preoccupations made me think of Interpol.

I've bought and tried to like all Interpol albums but the only two I keep revisiting are the first two. "Our Love To Admire" and "Interpol" haven't aged especially well and even though I liked "El Pintor" back in 2014, I haven't played it in years.

Interpol look old next to a band like the Arctic Monkeys. I mean.... a tenth anniversary tour for your debut album? Really? I guess for Paul Banks Interpol becam an excuse for partying, living excessively far too soon in the band's career. At a moment when he probably should have stayed focused.

Since the new song doesn't much for me, this might be the first IPol album I'm skipping. Probably just go and see them live. On stage I've always liked them. Even the "10th Anniversary" tour.:evil:

16. Dave 81828384

I saw them in 2010. Fantastic! Had tickets for the next time they came around (2015) but was unable to go. :realmad:

17. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Not impressed by the new single. The last time I was impressed by new Interpol album was 10 years ago.

Neonbeam likes this.
  18. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

+1!!!

19. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

It says a lot about the current material if a band starts doing Annivesary tours of their older albums.

Neonbeam likes this.
  20. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Unfortunately, yes! The "Turn On The Bright Lights" show, I saw last year was fantastic but also anachronistic. I can understand that you might want to revisit past glories once you're past 50 but a band like Interpol should still be out there, trying.

I've written it before but "Meet Me In The Bathroom" by Lizzy Goodman is an excellent book about NYC's 2001 rock scene. Lots of interviews with Interpol members.

CrombyMouse likes this.
  21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Was it the usual "musical differences" or something more?

22. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

Really hope the new album is a marked improvement on their last two releases but I'm not holding my breath.

Sadly, after reading Lizzy Goodmans book i doubt Carlos will ever be rejoining

Neonbeam likes this.
  23. deadcoldfish

Carlos D Reflects on Time With Interpol: “I Feel Like a Survivor of PTSD” | Pitchfork

Former Interpol bassist Carlos Dengler has penned an essay for n+1about the band’s seminal album Turn on the Bright Lights, which celebrated its 15th anniversary this year. In it, he reflects on the album’s creation and his “behavioral idiosyncrasies from that time: the rationing of condoms, and [his] all-starch diet.” He also writes, “Though I was one of its composers, I now feel more like a confused participant, or a survivor of PTSD.” Dengler continues, “I’ve lived to tell the story of a plane crash that almost took place, and I’m still figuring out how I managed to pass the flight exam and get into that cabin in the first place.” Read the full essay here.

JeffMo likes this.
  24. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

I think El Pintor was fantastic.

25. Dave 81828384

tickets on sale tomorrow for Montreal. Totally excited. :cheers:

JeffMo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.