Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

The biggest disappointment so far to me:

Venus And Mars still sounds muddy after its Archive Collection treatment. I was hoping for a better sounding mix than that.

2. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I think the biggest missed opportunity has been the video presentation. Too many poor transfers that weren't cleaned, too many things in mono that could have been in stereo.

3. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

The biggest one for me as you mention is the FITD download only fiasco.

4. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Biggest disappointment for me: "Tug of War" remix ruined the album and one has to buy the big package for the original mix, which is cruel and unusual.

5. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Herein lies the problem, and which is why no one ever will be happy :D. One doesn't like the original mix, the other doesn't like a remix.

(Just fyi, I agree with both statements.)

6. jacden

jacden Senior Member

I agree. Put It There in mono was perhaps the biggest head scratcher for me.

7. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Just buy the Paul McCartney Collection version from eBay or Amazon. The one in the box is not remastered anyway I don't believe.

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I have the olde Capitol CD so I'm okay. :)

Oyster Boy likes this.
  9. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

You caught that! Yes! Agreed!

theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  10. omikron

Yeah, I'm with you mindgames on that analysis for the archives. I wouldn't say I'm ever disappointed with what Paul puts out. Anything is welcome. It's more of what do I wish was added to it.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  11. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar Thread Starter

Agreed. They seem to be simply transferring and doing some simple colour correcting, which is fine for the photography but with the video hasn’t been enough.

I understand it may not be cost effective, but it’s a shame to see it not looking it’s best.

theMess and Paul H like this.
  12. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Exactly. That's how it was recorded/mixed. The murkiness is part of it's sound. New Orleans is built on a swamp, after all... ;)

That's one reason why I had been wishing for decades to get a rerelease of the single mix of Letting Go! It sounds so much clearer [at least to me]. [Not on Wings Greatest, not on All The Best, not on Wingspan, but finally on the V&M deluxe.]

13. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

I found the V&M remaster great! I always thought Rock Show was a bit "messy", maybe a little flat.
    The remaster made it all clear and much more listenable to my ears.

I didn't find much differences between the TOW original mix and remix.

Jayseph and JLPMacca like this.
  14. On Breakfast With the Beatles this morning, Chris Carter mentioned that remastered versions of Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway are being released this year, “hopefully in box sets.”

15. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar Thread Starter

I think it’s the best the original master is ever going to sound, due to the compression used in the original mix.

WOA is possibly the only album to require a remix more than V&M, Rockshow sounded great, despite the lowered backing vocals.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  16. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well, that's a positive sign.

Although between the WA50th, Imagine Deluxe, these two remasters, and Paul's new album the 2nd half of this year is going to be pretty crowded....... [in a good way!] :p

17. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Where does one start?
    • Band On The Run and Venus And Mars should have included the quadrophonic mix either on the DVD or as a separate disc.
    • McCartney II should have included a list of the double LP running order so that fans could remake the reject version — and, more importantly, mentioned that there was a rejected version instead of suggesting Paul just simply cut it down
    • Wings Over America should have included soundcheck material, since the live material is just very closely repeated from the triple LP, and/or some radio announcements that Wings were coming to town
    • Venus And Mars failed miserably in missing out on all the single versions to keep the discs to 3… it would have felt complete having the single mix of "Listen To What The Man Said," the medley version of "Venus And Mars/Rockshow" and the remix of "My Carnival" in there
    • Venus And Mars also missed out on the video content by not including The Backyard, which could easily have fit
    • Speed Of Sound should have included material from the Australian tour because it features so prominently in the book — such as a live version of "Junior's Farm," which is the only time Wings played it on tour
    • Tug Of War had the entire mix-up on the remaster, and the super deluxe could have at least offered a better 'exclusive' print (sorry, but it looks like it was a quick printout of an old photo)
    • Pipes Of Peace should have included the original remix of "Say Say Say" that was a bonus track on the iTunes edition, the instrumental version — and there's video from BBC of visiting Paul while he's mixing the album that should have been included on the video disc
    • Flowers In The Dirt should have included Put It There in stereo and included both more cuts for disc 6 plus the opportunity to buy an MOD version from his website, especially if you buy the set used and can never access the extra tracks because the code is only redeemable once — I'm talking about stuff that's shown up on Oobu Joobu like the "Motor Of Love" demo, as well as the "Don't Break The Promise" demo which comes from this period
    Between the two of them, "Give Ireland Back To The Irish" (no matter his view on 'the troubles,' it should be there), the video version of "Mary Had A Little Lamb," the unused studio cuts for Red Rose Speedway, and the video for James Paul McCartney.

At least the demo for "This One" was released online. "Motor Of Love" remains unreleased.

18. Brian from Canada

I don't like the idea of "hopefully": I don't want Capitol's big plan to be coloured vinyl, heavy gram vinyl and remastered CD only.

What makes the Archives series so valuable is that, thanks to Oobu Joobu, we know the vault has a lot of great material that still has to be released — and the previous editions prove people are willing to pay for it… without complaint of the actual material there (it's mostly complaints about what's missing instead of what's there).

I'm hopeful that the fact that his management team acknowledged the desire for more, and there's so many people asking for more (especially the gaps in between), the we do get to see the series continue. It will eventually surpass Wingspan as the official narrative of Paul's solo years.

theMess, Mr. Explorer and Oyster Boy like this.
  19. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

From the newly released colored vinyl (Wings Greatest, NEW, Chaos & Thrillington), does anyone know what the download codes give you audio wise?

It says mp3, but was curious if it was lossy, 44.1/16 cd quality, or 96/24 hi-res?

Anyone know?

20. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

How do you know it was "rejected"?

theMess, Paul H and mrjinks like this.
  21. omikron

TOW/POP could have contained more of those demos. Plus the elusive Australian mix of "Ode To A Koala Bear" if it truly exists.

Agree with WOA, I was wondering about those song(s) played outside the US too. I think "Little Woman Love" was another.

With Oobu Joobu, most of those were tour rehearsal recordings were they not? I would expect most of those to appear on TTLF. TTLF could be another missed opportunity if it ever comes out. There are a gazillion songs played live on the various legs of that tour not on the album and there is also the "secret" live sets. There were two films that I am aware of.

Wild Life better have the '72 tour set in full. Even if it is ragged, it's a historical document at this point.

theMess, Mr. Explorer and Oyster Boy like this.
  22. peter312

peter312 Forum Resident

320 kbps lossy mp3.

23. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

It exists all right. Pick one up on discogs (I did) - they’re not particularly expensive...

24. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Just got Chaos vinyl yesterday. 'Twas the usual excellent quality from Bill's re-releases. Quiet as can be and fine sound.

25. Brian from Canada

According to every biographer, the double LP was submitted to Columbia. Columbia wanted a single LP. Given the state of the market at the time, it seemed reasonable — especially when they paid so much to sign him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.