Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Roxy is a great show but I think the boot is fantastic. Not sure how it can be improved with the exception of taking out Bob Coburn’s commentary. Otherwise the boot I have is fantastic quality

2. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

Clinton Heylin, in the Nebraska chapter of his Springsteen biography (E Street Shuffle: The Glory Days of Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band), states that the London '81 concerts were recorded. I would like to believe him but it is odd that nothing from those tapes, if they do exist, have ever been released.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  3. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Does your boot not have the cut in “Thunder Road”? Or that recurring “clicking” sound that comes and goes through pretty much the entire show? I’m not be snarky, I’m asking honestly because not having those would be a HUGE improvement over every version of the show I’ve ever heard (And I’ve always assumed it’s the same FM source on any tape, CD, or download I’ve heard).

Also, the show was recorded multitrack (We know this, because edited tracks were used on the 75-85 box). That will be a vast improvement over the FM source, even if the FM didn’t have the cut or the clicks.

4. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

I definitely don’t have the clicking. But I know a very old version that one of my friends taped for me off an album did have it. I have to check on Thunder Road

5. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I saw Bruce at the Edinburgh Playhouse in 1981 and that show was certainly recorded as I remember seeing someone setting up ambient mikes by the mixing desk.

budwhite and graveyardboots like this.
  6. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Yes my version has Thunder Road

7. Adam Schellin

Adam Schellin Forum Resident

We can be safe to assume it will be The Roxy (Which I wish for so much) Winterland (Which I wish for so much) or a Rising show (Which I will love, but more so for those who really want it.) Given the date, it has to be the Roxy. I know Bruce knows the importance of anniversaries. This is a moment in his history where he arrived at a huge moment in his career. The Roxy has always felt important in some fashion and must be delivered in this stunning quality, the same way everything else has. I cannot imagine it NOT being released. The only thing that will be odd is hearing where the overdubs were on the Live release from 75-85. But I listen to the Radio version more anyway. I digress.

I can assume, He was given the go-ahead by Inc to share the info about the technical glitch in regards to DSD conversion. I think, that the issue has been resolved or at least is being actively worked on. (I make my living in Tech as a QA/Software tester and I cannot believe any format cannot be handled for the right amount of time/effort...these guys have access to the best archival software known to man and will make money on any such release.)

But from a spiritual perspective, what really matters is the evidence of these peoples gifts, their ability to rise to an occasion and perform. The archive series is a miracle from my perspective. We all have stories of waiting for tapes to arrive, or somehow finding CDs or Records at a music store, or even downloading a show via a torrent. It's magic in the night.

JSKC, tlmctell and screechmartin like this.
  8. The Punisher

The Punisher Well-Known Member

The night before this one? They don't have it. Nugs was on E Street radio months ago when the 77 shows were going to be released. He said they had just mixed November 8 and couldn't mix Nov 7 because the hard drives couldn't be recovered.

9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

10. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

It's not exactly the same thing but there is a complete live performance of The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle available for download via the Nugs website. They performed that album in sequence during the Brisbane concert on the High Hopes tour (February 26, 2014). That show also features almost half of the Greetings from Asbury Park album to open the show. And there is a high quality bootleg of the Madison Square Garden '09 performance floating around.

11. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

I think Max is a great drummer, but he just doesn’t cut it on the Wild and Innocent songs. He doesn’t have the swing for stuff like E St Shuffle or Kitty’s Back. Other early tunes like Blinded by the Light also don’t groove right. Of course it could just be that Bruce tells him to play those tunes straight, but I miss the idiosyncratic style of the Mad Dog when they play this material.

Jimmy B. and budwhite like this.
  12. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks, I have the book and maybe it is time I reread it. It told an interesting story with lots of detail.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  13. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

The early E Street band was quite a different (probably very) beast to the later post Born to Run band. I love both and along with a change in Springsteen's song writing it has made for great music from 73 to 85.
    I have lots of boots of the early stuff but do folk think a pre 75 archival download will happen one day? The earliest on livespringsteen is at the end of 75.

14. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I had been completely oblivious to the fact that the 2014 shows were available. Thank you for this - I have ordered the cd.

I notice other shows from this tour that are available include full album shows for Born to Run, Darkness and Born in the USA.

15. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Just a heads up if you were not aware, the 2014 shows are not up to the sound quality of the other Nugs releases from 2016 and most of the archives. When they first did those shows, there was a mandate from Bruce Inc to just do an on the fly mix and they wanted it to sound like a bootleg. So they are not mixed well and almost sound like audience recordings at times. Still great shows but the mix is VERY lacking.

16. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I heartily believe that we'll get something pre-1975 at some point in time in the Archive series. That's just my thought (and wish) though.

17. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

In Backstreets article to mark the 40th anniversary of the release of Darkness On The Edge Of Town, Nils Lofgren says that he attended the 1978 Roxy show in LA. The Roxy show was a month after the record came out.

budwhite likes this.
  18. Adam Schellin

Adam Schellin Forum Resident

I really hope Roxy '78 is next. It would be the perfect time to post it, 39 years and 364 days to the day.

NYMets41, ExHead and uncle like this.
  19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Independence Day on piano by Springsteen himself is a fine moment. Great great show. Love the club vibe on the classic FM boot

Guy Smiley, NYMets41 and Dr. Zoom like this.
  20. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

I've had the full Roxy 78 show for 35 years. And a good chunk is on live 75-85. I don't need to buy it again.

Something from 1981 please.
    Or 1976
    Or 1974
    Or 1973

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

If it is Roxy '78, it will be one of the biggest all-time sellers from the Springsteen Archives series. A lot of fans have the boots, but to have it in great sound from the master tapes will make the official release the definitive version.

22. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Not necessarily.
    If Altschiller mixes it, one can expect it to not have the audience comments that in this show added so much to it. In fact if he mixes it it will be worthless like every other one he's done - lifeless, no audience, the excitement gone.
    I wish he would quit; I hope for the important shows (the '70s) that Clearmountain mixes them.
    Many people say "another bootleg I'm throwing away" after an archival release of a show but since Altschiller took over all the bootlegs are better than his mixes. Every single one.

23. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I hate to say it but I agree. Altschiller does a horrible job mastering. His work with Phish was awful as well.

I emailed him through his studio about a year or two ago asking a few things (very politely) but never got a response.

24. Guy Smiley

Hi.

I think you misunderstood me the other day. Thunder Road is, as far as I know, on all circulating copies of the boot. But they all (again, AFAIK) have a very obvious cut somewhere early in the song. This is one of the (many) reasons an officially released Roxy will be vastly superior to the boot.

25. Guy Smiley

All of those would be great (Especially ‘81), but it hardly means Roxy isn’t long overdue.

Also, while” a good chunk” is one way to describe it (It’s what, seven or eight tracks represented?) it’s hardly the full show. It’s a gem start to finish. And at least two of those tracks are severely edited on that boxed set. High time it’s released, though it should really be a mass release, on Sony, to retailers.

You may not care about it, but plenty of other folks do.