Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If it is a damaged "digipack", I would not say you are too picky, but if it a CD in a plastic jewel box, you are being far too picky. Plastic jewel boxes are everywhere, are virtually free, and easy to replace. If you are at the level of collecting Bear Family, you should be a collector that has a few extra empty jewel boxes

2. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Sometimes Amazon uses cdpackage that is perfect for cd.I guess it depends who does the packaging at Amazon.

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I know him much more as a songwriter, and he wrote awesome songs. And also was a good record producer. His work for other singers is worth hearing. I look forward to hearing his work as a singer.

4. Svein Arne

I was wrong about this but i am sure Waylon said something like that about Lucenbach.

5. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

6. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

melstapler and The Killer like this.
  7. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I absolutely love Luckenbach, Texas. Wow, 6 weeks at number one on Billboard's country singles chart and any song that mentions Mickey Newbury and Willie Nelson in the lyrics is cool with me. I loved Waylon Jennings and his Bear Family Box sets are stupendous to say the least, but I do get tired of famous artists who get "tired" of singing their biggest hit singles to the audience that made them famous, but I will forgive Waylon cause he was so damn good!

Judge Judy likes this.
  8. Just be aware that Amazon will ban your account if you make too many unnecessary returns in their estimation. Amazon decided several years ago that proper packaging was less important to them. They focus almost entirely on speedy delivery. I order dozens and dozens of CDs a year from Amazon. I'd say more than 20% of them arrive with some damage. I learned years ago to just bite the bullet and accept it.

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  9. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Ditto!

melstapler likes this.
  10. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. It's been many years since I've seen Ray perform, but he's a very talented songwriter, singer, multi-instrumentalist, producer and businessman. His label Step One Records was home to Gene Watson, Faron Young, Hank Thompson, The Geezinslaws and Ray Price, who released several albums and compilations containing re-recordings during the 1980s and 90s. Ray's albums with Buddy Emmons are probably some of the best work he did, aside from his earlier major label material of course.

Most of you may recognize this song written and recorded by Ray Pennington, entitled 'I'm A Ramblin' Man.'
    [​IMG]
    Ray originally went to work for Ray Price's publishing company Pamper Music, during the early 1960s. Pennington produced albums for artist such as Kenny Price, before securing a record deal with Capitol during the mid 1960s.
    [​IMG]
    The "A Man Called Tex" LP by Tex Williams was produced by Ray Pennington
    [​IMG]
    The "Heavy Duty Country" LP by Kenny Price was produced by Ray Pennington

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  11. maloney

maloney music collector and archivist

Just received the Hank Thompson , Pathways of My Life box sets, it is very Great

12. Svein Arne

In 1972/73 Elvis Presley had used up his money.He sold all the music rights to RCA Victor to get more money.SONY at that time wanted to buy the rights for Elvis music.If i am not wrong the US president at time stopped SONY so that could not buy it.I
    Look for mistakes in the book in the session discography,major mistake.George Strait is not mentioned in the duet"Six packs to go"

melstapler likes this.
  13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

As long as it is not something critical (like a box set being crushed), I keep it too. I have hundreds of empty, new jewel boxes to replace or upgrade any damaged boxes.

14. Svein Arne

Porter Wagoners big hit :A satiesfied mind by its songwriter.He was a fiddler in Jim Reeves band in the early 50s.

McLover, melstapler and Rick Bartlett like this.
  15. Svein Arne

A young Johnny Paycheck:

16. Rick Bartlett

not just young, but in colour and playing bass! Yes, LOVE to see more!

melstapler likes this.
  17. Svein Arne

Rick Bartlett and melstapler like this.
  18. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Hi @Mychael can you ask Bear Family to release a 1CD comp of Del Shannon as part of the "Rocks" series? We need a definitive single disc comp and the "Rocks" series CDs make excellent gifts.
    [​IMG]

19. GodBlessTinyTim

baptistbusman and Rick Bartlett like this.
  20. Rick Bartlett

Yeah actually, that is disappointing! The David Frizzell audio biography can be purchased separately, I think I
    posted something in this thread before. It's a very good listen, but the down side I found, David also talks about
    his own life and his own releases during the reading. It also doesn't have any detail about the death of Lefty
    towards the end at all, and again, steers back towards David's experiences.
    Gosh, I had the impression there was going to be a bunch of newly added recordings!
    Think i'll stick to 'Life's Like Poetry'.
    edit: the original audio biography is also 8 discs.

rod and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

this is the set available on David's website, for 20 buck US.
    [​IMG]

22. Rick Bartlett

Actually, that's a bit 'sheepish' for Bear Family to do that come to think of it.
    The impression seemed to be a heap of new music previously unreleased.
    The box itself looks amazing, and I sure bet the book is amazing too.
    A bit misleading knowing that the 8 discs are already available and for a cheap price.

Cousin It likes this.
  23. GodBlessTinyTim

I still plan on getting the updated set for the expanded book and whatever new music is included, but I probably wouldn't if I already had the old set.

RSteven and Rick Bartlett like this.
  24. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Looks like the old set had 328 tracks. The new one says "361 songs".

25. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

I noticed this note on Martin Hawkins website (he worked on The Sun Blues Box):

I'm currently working on three music-related projects. They're big ones, but they have serious deadlines so you may see them soon.

'The Memphis Blues Box' - a set of CDs containing all the best blues music recorded in Memphis by Memphis-area singers and musicians from 1927 right through to the 1970s when the days of the 78 and 45 rpm single disc ended. Due out in 2018.

That sounds promising. The other two he mentions are the Louisiana Hayride box and a book:

'Tennessee Troubadours' - a book collecting together many of my unpublished and formerly-published but much updated interviews and features on musicians who criss-crossed the mid-South and beyond in the 1940s, 50s and 60s. Due out in 2017/2018.

GodBlessTinyTim likes this.