Taylor Swift Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Socrates, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora

Aurora Forum Resident

"Babe" - Sugarland featuring Taylor Swift

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

This song was written with Pat Monahan from Train for her Red album but it didn't make the cut.

theMess, Tokyo Ghost and Aurora like this.
  3. Aurora

Aurora Forum Resident

Here is the music video for "Babe".

Bevok likes this.
  4. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Nice to see a thread about a current singer. I was about to start one on Lana del Rey but I don’t think she has fans here. As for Taylor, I never cared for her, but she has projected this white-girl-hypocrisy especially when the whole Kim K/Kanye West happened. So I would consider myself one of the people who...don’t like her. But I won’t deny her talent as a songwriter , because she has it.

Bevok likes this.
  5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Lana has lots of fans here including myself.

6. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

I can definitely say I appreciate her. :agree:

What's her music like? :D

7. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Now there are two of us! I may start a Lana thread...maybe she has more fans than expected.

Bevok likes this.
  8. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

That whole situation was tricky and I think a lot of the nuance was lost in the coverage of it.

Apparently Taylor did joke about how "Kanye made her famous" when the two of them were reconciling but I take that more as her way of telling him that she's not really mad at him since she's not the one that looked bad at the 2009 VMAs and it did make her most famous outside of her target demographic (who probably all knew her by that point). It didn't hurt her career at the very least.

But it's not as if she wouldn't have been successful without that interruption. Her first two albums were among the top-sellers of 2007-2009 (I think Fearless was already in the lead for #1 of 2009?). I think Love Story was the most successful country-pop cross-over single in decades?

Her first reaction to Kanye reading her the lyrics and how him and Taylor "might still have sex" was

Taylor Swift: "I'm like this close to overexposure."

I think it's pretty obvious that she's not especially comfortable about the lyrics but she knows she's probably won't be able to talk Kanye out of it so she tries to play it cool in the hope that Kanye will still respect her like a friend and not take things too far with the lyrics. She's probably trying to encourage him to go with the interpretation that "despite my past mistakes, I've been able to salvage my relationship with Taylor and I think she might consider getting into a relationship with me", and can also be seen as his way of saying she's "desirable". She did promote the idea that your past mistakes should not define during her tour prior to this so I can see her being ok with that interpretation. His wording is obviously much less tactful but that's just the way it is with most rap music, you could argue that the message behind it is still the same and that's probably why she continued to play it cool.

Also when she says
    "You honestly didn't know who I was before that. It doesn't matter that I sold 7 million of that album before you did that which is what happened, you didn't know who I was before that. "
    I think it's pretty obvious that she wants to make it clear to him that she was successful before the incident. Like yeah she might "owe him"... a little bit, but not that much.

What we don't see with the bits of the phone call that were made public (and probably was not part of the call since her team have asked Kanye to release the whole thing) is the way Kanye tied it all together in the final version of the song, where he implies that what she owes him is the entirety of her career and not only that, but because she owes him her career he can demand her to have sex with her. That's a very different message from what she initially agreed to and I think that's she changed her stance.

9. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

ralph7109 likes this.
  10. EchoStars242

EchoStars242 Forum Resident

I'm a sucker for a good pop song

11. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

And that was the correct Taylor song to pick. Wasn’t a single but is one of her best. They actually did some research to find that one.

theMess likes this.
  12. EchoStars242

EchoStars242 Forum Resident

Glad they based it off of their opinions and not what was the most popular single - popularity =/= quality editors need to realize that

ralph7109 likes this.
  13. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

I definitely listened to a couple of her songs back when i was in high school. Maybe when her 1989 album stops being played constantly on the radio, i'll give that a listen.

14. j3brow

j3brow Forum Resident

I don’t listen to pop music but I have to admit ... I’ve come to enjoy listening to Taylor. You see, I have 3 little girls, age 9 to 3, and they love TS. Took the entire family to the concert in New Orleans weekend before last at the Superdome. She was fantastic. The pure joy on my girls faces seeing their first show, and what a spectacle it was. I’m hooked now.

Memph and onlyconnect like this.
  15. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

16. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

17. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

18. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

That's a pretty good article on the record deal. Taylor Swift could have probably done what many other big artists likely would have and just asked UMG to write a bigger cheque for signing with them, but instead it seems like she was willing to settle for a smaller (though I'm sure still very generous) cheque in exchange for this payout clause. The updated payout clause probably won't even benefit her, since it only benefits artists that owe money to their label, which I doubt she does or ever will really.

I'm curious if she also talked to UMG about partnering to buy up her old label. Part of the reason why she didn't stay with Big Machine is that they wouldn't give her her old masters, so maybe she'd be willing to pitch in some money to buy Big Machine (which Scott Borchetta has been looking to sell for a while) in exchange for getting the masters to her old masters.

Anyways, if UMG was willing to make all these concessions (Spotify clause, owning future masters), in addition to a rumored $200m (??!) pay-out to Taylor Swift, that means they must have come to an agreement to make plans for significant continued commercial success of her music for all that to pay off for UMG. That doesn't necessarily mean homogeneous vanilla mainstream music, Red did well with several alternative rock leaning songs, and 1989 had songs with Jack Antonoff who known as a fairly indie pop/alt rock musician and producer. However, I don't expect totally out of the left field experimental music, probably something similar to her past albums where they still had songs that could get good airplay on mainstream radio.

I am definitely curious to see what her upcoming music will be like. She's already been talking about how she's excited to share the "next chapter" of her life with us, and usually she hasn't hinted at new music this soon after her previous album, so some fans are wondering if her upcoming album will be released sooner than her usual 2 year cycle (Fall 2019)?

Her fashion has also hinted at where she plans to take her music in the past. She was already wearing skirts and crop tops a few months before her pop takeover with 1989 and Shake It Off.

Now she looks like this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In her early days, she had the look of a slightly cheeky country-pop princess, lots of sun dresses mixed with stylish teenager fashion, which starter veering towards vintage and slightly hipster vibes during her late Speak Now to Red eras. Then with her 1989 era, she had a very polished look, lots of crop tops and short skirts, to match the image of a confident, perfectionist young woman on a mission to conquer the world of pop. With reputation, she had a more grungy and sometimes a bit punk look, although she only wore that off stage in 2016 to early 2017 when she was writing the album, and was already starting to shed that image off-stage by the point when it was time to promote and perform. It actually made the whole era feel a bit off, like she decided a year earlier to have this defiant vengeful image but by 2018 when it was time to perform she was pretty happy again and wasn't really into that.

The vibe I get now, is of a confident but happy woman, who is still young, but no longer feels like she has as much to prove to the general public or to her romantic pursuits compared to the 1989 era. More casual and less polished, but still stylish. Slightly retro look, a here to have fun. Some fans are wondering if we'll get a disco influenced pop album?

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  19. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I’m watching the Reputation concert on Netflix. It’s really good - better than any previous concert footage I’ve seen from her.

She’s currently doing “All Too Well” with just her guitar. It’s one of my favorite of her songs. Maybe my favorite.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  20. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I bet when she sang Tim McGraw to Tim McGraw and walked up to him and said I'm Taylor he never expected her to get bigger than him and Faith.

21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Hmmm....I've always wondered how "All Too Well" might sound without the horrible studio over-production.

22. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

She has pretty nice feet for a tall girl.

23. Scopitone

It’s delightful.

24. Scopitone

Better Man at the Bluebird Café

the video portion starts around :40 in

Socrates likes this.
  25. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

It was exciting to see Tim and Faith get invited on-stage at her Nashville show to sing "Tim McGraw" but also a bit disappointing that they didn't know the lyrics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.