Bruce Springsteen - Live Archive Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris S., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

I just put it on. Yes I agree with you. I don’t think the cut is that obvious, but it’s definitely there. But even with the cut I don’t think I’d pay for the new download

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  2. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Well something between the relatively dry JA mixes and Toby Scott's inconsistent stuff would be most welcome. That Tower 12.31.75 mix sounds like what you'd hear sitting 3rd row center from on stage monitors. Reverb, compression, blech. And Nassau 80 is a nightmare. I guess it's possible that the Roxy was done earlier like the Cap Theater, but wondering how many Clearmountain mixes we'll ever hear.

Some more 75-77 board tapes would also be welcome. There are some gems in the tapes provided by his old sound guys.

3. The Punisher

The Punisher Well-Known Member

I had a conversation with Bruce not too long ago about this archive series and about JA. My girlfriends and I run into him all the time and he always comes up to us to say hello and what not (live in the same area). Anyways, if you think JA is gonna quit or go anywhere, I have real estate on the moon to sell you. Bruce's exact words to me where "He gets it" "We finally found someone who knows how to approach these". He also told me that he listens to them before they are released. I don't know if he listens to the full show (doubt it) or a song here and there. Nothing is released without his approval. He's more hands on with these things as people on BTX or other boards imagine he is. They are happy with him, and so are 99.9% of NUGS' customers. 11-8-09 was mixed months ago. The reason for it coming out now was because Roxy wasn't done yet, it's summertime, people like to take off :)

4. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

On Altschiller, I’ve found his work to be agreeable. I think the strong consensus is that there’s been a sharp uptick in quality since Agora, Nassau and Tower Theater. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

On Roxy, when the rumors and hints started to move about this, the needle on my response meter pinged well past the middle and into the green. The bottom line is, where they have professionally recorded, multitrack shows from the golden age of the E Street Band (‘73 to ‘88), I want them—period. I don’t care if there were tracks on “Live 1975-1985” or not. There’s such a qualitative difference between these recordings, and even the best pre-FM recordings that have circulated, that there’s simply no question.

My head and my heart have been at war for two years over whether I first want the famous 12/15/1978 Winterland, which has long circulated, or 12/16/78, which we know from “Live” that they professionally recorded, and which has never circulated in any decent quality (so far as I know). My head says the latter; my heart says the former.

5. uncle

uncle Senior Member

There is no doubt that Altschiller is a clear step above Toby Scott and for the most part I enjoy his stuff while also realizing he does some things which I wish he wouldn't. For example, the guitars are generally mixed too low and in most cases the audience isn't high enough especially during those special moments whether it is a guest or sing-along that is really enhanced with a loud crowd. The only mix I was disappointed in was 8/20/84 which was the first one where I agreed sounded dry and the lack of effects on the guitars threw me although i am not sure if he could fix that. My only concern with him mixing a 78 show is that tour more than any other was so guitar driven at least to me that it really needs to be upfront and screaming which isn't something he normally does.

Now there is also a clear step up from JA to the best in the business in Bob Clearmountain. He is notoriously meticulous in his approach and takes care to make sure every second of the show is balanced and sounds right when he has the time and budget of course. I think JA is a set it and forget it type of mixer since his forte is getting shows to sound good very quickly which means the show will sound decent but with minor issues like solos being too low or the audience not mixed up at appropriate times. I would pay double the current price of these shows if BC mixed every 78 show to the best of his ability. Maybe even more.

enro99, Tom Campbell and budwhite like this.
  6. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Agreed, it should be a very good seller. One has to wonder though, if Sony were to ever do a full-on physical release of a live show, this would be one of the prime candidates. If the leaked contract from a few years back is to be believed, Sony is supposed to release 4 or 5 live shows, if I recall. If not Roxy '78, then what? LA 1985 in conjunction with a BUSA box is another top candidate I'd say.

Or will there never be another physical live release for Bruce?

kevywevy and budwhite like this.
  7. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

I'm right there with you on Winterland. They are both top-tier shows deserve a official release. I'm encouraged by Brad Serling's comment a few years back about Nugs working on a string of 1978 shows, which I think was referring to the 3 Passaic concerts. We got one of those and I think we'll get the other two in time. And so I think we'll get both Winterland shows one day too.

Hey Bruce, how about a double release of Winterland this December?

matt79rome89, hobbes4444 and budwhite like this.
  8. uncle

uncle Senior Member

I think the only live release in the near future from Sony will be the Broadway show. The business has changed even from when that memo was leaked and catalog live albums just don't sell well. And since Sony gets a piece of every Nugs sale anyway I don't know if they want to put the money out there to spend on mixing and mastering a show for Sony release which is way more than the costs of the Nugs shows only to sell the same amount anyway.

I think the LA 85 show will be dvd only and not audio. Especially after the failure of the 75 Hammersmith release I don't seem them doing it again.

9. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Agree on most things except for the audience.
    Springsteen's audience is notorious for always clapping and what not. It is what is at the show and that's fine, but when listening at home I want the crowd clapping hands dialed down as much as possible.

Live in NYC '00 is great example when the audience goes overboard and Bruce has to tell them to be quiet.

And I'm just wondering since this is mixed by Altschiller... do you need more crowd than this? Because I think there's a lot of presence in this mix.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    JoeF., moonshiner and ammoj2 like this.
  10. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Wouldn't that be nice. It's the one CC remaster from that era that I really don't like. The bass on the original LP was overwhleming at times, but love it!! My first live Bruce. A Passaic box would have been nice but Winterland even better. Fox Theater 78 would also be a nice one to have. JEMS did an awesome job with the mixdown cassettes they had. Such a great show. Definitive Independence Day 78 for me :D

11. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

JA’s mixes are imo overall good.
    Wish there was more audience and prominent guitars, but still...a leap forward from the previous guy.

About
    Bob C vs JA. Not quite fair to compare imo. I imagine Bob has a different budget and way more time to spend

12. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

I agree. The CC is really good, but they did something to it in the mastering that causes it not quite to jibe with my memory of the pre-FM tape I’ve heard, or the streaming version that’s up on Wolfgang’a Vault. There’s something “clean” about those other presentations that the CC lacks. You can sense that quality on the Great Dane Masters Plus, but that’s afflicted with No-Noise.

Actually, that’s a really good reason to want a multitrack mix of 12/15/1978: regardless of source, I’m not sure any of the boots have come out exactly the way they could or should. Also, the pre-FM is really light on crowd ambience. If anybody’s got issues with the Altschiller masters, then they ought to give that a listen.

-B.

13. graveyardboots

graveyardboots Resident Patient

I've had the full Roxy '78 show for 25 years, as I purchased the Hands Toward the Sky bootleg on Lobster Records back in '93. Then I traded for a CD-R copy of Crystal Cat's Roxy Night. Subsequently, I obtained FLAC copies of Ev2's No Private Parties and, most recently, JEMS' Out There in Radioland. Big fan of this particular show. In fact, it's in my top 3 favorite Springsteen concerts with the Capitol Theatre '78 and Bottom Line '75 radio broadcasts being the other two. An uncompressed, well-balanced mix from the original multi-tracks? Yes, I would gladly pay for that.

Like you, I'm hopeful that the archive series digs deeper into the seventies with tapes from '76, 74, and '73. Doubt there are any multi-tracks from those years though. '81, on the other hand, should be a lock, as we know some of the Meadowlands stand was recorded.

budwhite likes this.
  14. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Personally I don't like iconic shows like Roxy or Winterland '78 to be released on cheap cd-r's without any liner notes. The Nuggs releases are well known among fans, but these remain a nice but niche product.
    I think the best shows deserve to receive the best release possible in any aspect. BC mixes, good liner notes and proper artwork. So I don't want Roxy as a download or cd-r but in a box set with other shows, just like those Dylan bootlegs.

15. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

No

16. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Yeah. That should have happend 7, 15 or 25 years ago.
    I think it's to late now. It ain't selling anymore. And Springsteen hasn't put out a proper live album with old material since 2006 (Hammersmith '75). And before that his last one was released in '1986...
    I think his old live stuff is hugely unknown/forgotten by the casual fans. The old live box and Hammersmith is all there is. It's unfortunate but that's how Landau and Springsteen wants it to be. Otherwise they would have put out stuff.

And it's not like he needs the money or the attention, he's filling arenas and stadiums almost everywhere he goes

17. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Well I was hoping for a Father's Day sale this year (last year they had a Mother's Day sale) but it looks like it is not happening. I think last year it started on the Friday before Mother's Day. Oh well, I would even be happy if they had a DSD sale as I want to get more of those but $40 a pop is hard for me to do for a download. Looks like I will be spending my money on the Music Direct sale this weekend.

18. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I had my hopes up too. Oh, well. I'll keep my money.

19. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Just found this clip on YouTube - "All That Heaven Will Allow" from an '88 show which has an elaborate theatrical intro.

Wish they'd put out "video" live archive releases - even if the video quality sucks, at least you can see what you're missing.

20. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

The intro from another show, same idea but different material:

21. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Those staged bits from the TOL tour probably aren't going to be in any highlight reels of Springsteen's live career

markbrow and The Panda like this.
  22. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Yeah watching video of the opening carnival ticket thing from the TOL shows is just cringey and I have to skip it. Just awful.

Be interesting to see what happens on the video release with the BITUSA box set because I think they did some pretty cringey stage stuff during that tour unless that was only during the arena tour and they dropped it by the time of the LA 85 stadium shows.

23. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I hear you. It seemed great at the time, but when I look at some of the pro-shot stuff that leaked on DVD...ugh, it's full-on cringing.

To echo everyone else, Roxy 78 is a superb show, not a second of filler or flub in it, and I'm thrilled if it's coming out. Even the worst mix would be better than the audio flaws from the FM broadcast.

24. John22

John22 Forum Resident

Adam Bosman likes this.
  25. uncle

uncle Senior Member

There may be some licensing issues with the Benefit show because I think Neil Young owns all that stuff but I could be wrong.