'The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra,' to be released on June 8!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yorick, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Fully aware of this. It's still a crap move on his part. He obviously has no faith or confidence in the presentation of his own name, image, and likeness.

Are you sure that the rest of the guys are "happy" to keep the "brand" out there or do they not just care anymore and know that its the old hits that drive the bus which they all played on (or sang)?

Most people...I love this argument. It's still Brian's band. Mike love on his best day couldn't come up with anything close to Pet Sounds or SMiLE. Hell, even those early songs that were so good...Mike couldn't have written any of them. He just got lucky and found what worked with 60s youth: fun, sun, beaches, cars, and girls. Brian grew out of that and matured REAL fast. Mike never did. His post 20s sophomoric lyrics STILL continue to baffle me to this day. They're a joke.

Brian also isn't as healthy as he used to be. I also think he's content knowing that true fans know the real score with the history of this band.

The tribute bands in every city in America that do Beach Boys catalog music closely resemble a Beach Boys show. So what?

Brian's band is always great. In the end, Mike is selling the current lineup as the Beach Boys. They are not. End of story.

There absolutely should not be a touring band known as the Beach Boys if the members of the actual band aren't in the band. I have a problem with this with ALL the bands and groups that go out on tour. The public - not sure when and I don't know why they haven't thought about this yet - will catch up with the times. They will realize that they can either 1) listen to the correct band at home on their Hi-Fi, or 2) see a cover band do these songs, which is essentially what Mike is. These bands that go out on tour with 1 or 2 original members are a joke and no, I don't get why the public eats it up and pays ridiculous ticket fees and charges to see nearly the same show they could see at a local bar for next to nothing.

I don't need a cover band doing the show. I'd like to see the actual band. If the actual band cannot do the show, well, I'm too late and missed it all. It's all ridiculous. I will not go see the Mike Love Cover Band. Not in a million years.

The new album is a turd. Any of the feel and cohesiveness that the original music presented has been sucked clean and dry from these new versions. But hey, more power to you if you're willing to feed the machine every time it sticks its hand out.

DirkMcQ, LeeGriffin and oldsurferdude like this.
  2. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

If people got to know celebrities, there’d be no celebrities.

3. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

This is a bit much. The whole Brian vs Mike thing is annoying. Can't they both in their own way give us a Beach Boys type show? Brian himself is only the figurehead of a Beach Boy covers band. Both shows were fun to watch and neither Brian nor Mike is much of a vocalist these days. After seeing Brian the last time I decided I wouldn't go to any more of his shows. He was far from well and looked very uncomfortable. Sometimes the memories are all we need

4. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Look, man. I agree with you about Brian. I saw him in 2017 at Boston's Symphony Hall when he was doing his Pet Sounds show. I thought the band was great, but Brian? He's very difficult to watch. He doesn't participate like he used to and really can't. I mean, it was a thrill being in the same room as him as he did those songs, but I won't pay for that show again. It's sad.

And you're right - the whole Brian vs. Mike thing is totally played out, but Mike still goes out on the road as the Beach Boys so the argument continues...

Paper Wizard likes this.
  5. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Mike is way more the vocalist Brian is these days:

BRIAN WILSON PRESENTS PET SOUNDS - Wouldn't It Be Nice, live at Tivoli Copenhagen 20170630

6. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I sure wish we could have one thread on a new BB product not turn into a Mike vs Brian pissing match. Its my own fault for responding and taking the bait.

8. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Totally agree. BTW, Sirius Channel 4 is all Beach Boys 24/7. Nice mix of the hits and lesser know tunes along with live material.

9. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

It will be interesting to see how Brian is after his back surgery. I know he's been in a tremendous amount of pain for the last couple of years.

mikedifr0923 and MaestroDavros like this.
  10. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

It took a couple of listens... but I'm actually somewhat enjoying it now. Favorite: Darlin'.

NYMets41 likes this.
  11. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

Didn’t Elvis have a similar release recently? The cynic in me can’t help thinking that the Elvis one must have been successful and the same concept is being applied here i.e. it’s motivated more by $$$ than inspiration.

Maybe that’s unfair but I’m struggling to see the appeal. If I want to hear beautifully arranged Beach Boys songs I’ll listen to the originals but I hope those that are looking forward to this get a kick out of it.

fallbreaks likes this.
  12. Daniel Plainview

To be fair, it looks like Brian might have a cold there. He keeps breathing through his mouth like he's congested. And then he blows his nose at the end.

But he is participating less during the shows these days, when he can, and lets Al, Blondie and Matt handle the leads.

And when Brian does sing he's suddenly getting creative with his phrasing and lyrics.

Here's "Love and Mercy" from the show I attended last year. Im just not sure what he's trying to do....

I've seen his at his best, which only makes these recent shows sadder for me. I hate to see him getting older. But who knows? Maybe it was the back problems holding him back. Maybe his upcoming holiday shows will show a rejuvenated Brian Wilson.

NYMets41 likes this.
  13. Daniel Plainview

Jerry Schilling has ties to Elvis and The Beach Boys so its not surprising they'd try to find success with this project the way Elvis did. Someone must be buying them otherwise they wouldn't bother. And it really isn't that bad of a listen.

Buddhahat likes this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

My local Target wasnt carrying this release, but maybe they've given up on their music department. I wonder if Walmart is carrying it. How can we top the charts if nobody is selling the album?

15. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes, as always we can like it and enjoy it or dislike it and not buy it.

The beautiful thing these days is that we can hear the release and decide if we want it. We don't have to roll the dice and buy it hoping we will like it without hearing it first .

Buddhahat likes this.
  16. Daniel Plainview

I'm sorry, I have to go back to this but....what in THEE HELL is Stamos doing on the stage?

Hes not even playing that guitar. Hes just getting in the way. Even Foskett is glaring at him.

I'm not paying to see him. Thank God he's never been present at a show I've attended. He's the Scrappy Doo of The Beach Boys live show.

We should stop bitching about Brian or Mike and unite as one to spew hatred towards Stamos. Fight the real enemy, as Sinead O'Connor would say.

coffeetime and oldsurferdude like this.
  17. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

The Elvis album reached no. 1 in the UK. A follow up with Roy Orbison vocals reached no. 2. I don't think the Beach Boys will chart as high but I hope I'm wrong

Buddhahat and Daniel Plainview like this.
  18. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with this:

The Beach Boys ft. John Stamos - Forever : 2018

19. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

That video was embarrassing. Mike doesn't sound good. He sounds thin and out of tune. Brian on the the other hand has been dealing with mental illness for 50 years and trying to keep it together. All things considered in context of this conversation, I don't think Brian is doing so bad. That doesn't mean I think he's okay and should be on the road as much as he is, but Mike looks and sounds awful.

oldsurferdude and mikedifr0923 like this.
  20. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I am seeing him in Philly in November, hopefully the surgery helps him.

21. G00dVibrations

G00dVibrations Forum Resident

Meanwhile in the UK, my local small-ish Tesco that sells about 15-20 different CDs is stocking it. Which is similar to the way they stocked the Elvis and Orbison ones. Now we just need some TV ads or something.

22. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

The Beach Boys' legacy isn't Mike Love's to participate in? Huh? He's been there since day one. As original members have come and gone over the years, Mike has been exactly where he has always been--on the road with the band.

I'm not as reverential towards the Beach Boys name as others are. It's the easiest way to sell tickets and to make people aware what to expect when they buy a ticket. If they are buying a Beach Boys ticket, they know they're going to get 2 hours of Beach Boys music. That expectation is simply not there if one purchases a "Mike Love Band" or "Formerly of The Beach Boys, Mike Love" ticket. Why make it more confusing than it needs to be?

But I know most of this is irrelevant to those whose hate for Mike is as big as their love for the Beach Boys band itself.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  23. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

You didn't even read what I wrote or you just read it and didn't take the time to understand it. I said it wasn't COMPLETELY his. It's not. It's Brian. It's Carl. It's Dennis. It's Al. It's David. And yes, even Mike. I wish someone in the camps of the other guys would have told Mike where to take his lawsuit to get complete rights to the name. Sure, he has to pay a bit to use it and the cards just probably fell this way because he stuck around and was still there after Carl, but man, it's been 20 years. Someone should have stepped in to stop the madness.

Wrong. And if I'm not wrong, shame on Mike for not doing more to further his own career. He has released really awful solo albums and is now just doing Beach Boys remakes to sell at gas stations with Stamos and that dude from Sugar Ray. Snooze fest.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  24. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I'm old enough to find that funny as hell.

25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

this is the thread for discussing the new album right? :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.