Phish: What Are You Listening To?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by B-Mike, Jul 27, 2015.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

That's accurate, especially talking about Phish in 1990 vs. the Dead at the same time. Phish calmed down a bit more mid/late 90's.

Doggiedogma and warewolf95 like this.
  2. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Shooot. Y’all gonna make me go listen to David Bowie. Boise ‘99.

Geee!, Doggiedogma and warewolf95 like this.
  3. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

DO IT!

Doggiedogma likes this.
  4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I dig it man. Dig it.

Doggiedogma and warewolf95 like this.
  5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Hampton ‘97
    Get the entire run.

I cant believe Im even in this thread. I havent listened to this stuff in years.

Cassius, jay.dee, Doggiedogma and 3 others like this.
  6. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

The Riverport Gin is IMO the greatest Phish jam.

1st song of 7/29/98. Imagine going to a show and they open with THAT.

7. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Going thru Round Room studio right now, pretty awesome in my book, been a while since I put it on

Doggiedogma likes this.
  8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I loved when they opened with Gin. Page freaking going OFF.

Billy_Sunday and Doggiedogma like this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

All this activity on this thread got me in the mood to put on some Phish. I decided to throw on something I picked up a while back, but have never listened to (other than a few songs coming up on shuffle): Live in Brooklyn from 6/17/04. I don't think I've heard anything from the 2002-04 era other than the It film footage, which showed the band were not in great form. So this is new territory for me. So far, it's pretty good, and looking forward to hearing the full Curtain With, which just started. Unless they played it at my first show (in '89, no known setlist and I had never heard the band before so didn't recognize anything but the cover songs), I think I have only heard them do the "With" version live once, at Bill Graham Civic a couple shows ago. I don't think I'd even seen them do the regular curtain since '92 or '93, by that point, and it has always been one of my favorites of theirs.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  10. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

You haven't heard anything else from 2.0?
    There's quite a bit of great stuff, mostly from 2003.
    If I may, give 2/28/03 a try, it's probably the best 2.0 show, and I also recommend the Seven Below from The Gorge 7/13/03.

11. musicarus

musicarus Forum Resident

I was there 12/31/95 - good overall but the Reba composed sections put me off a bit. Jam wad good though.
    SICK = 12/29/94 bowie
    Red Rocks June '94 !

12. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

David Bowie - this is the one with the ultimate DB [​IMG]

13. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

I usually describe the difference between Phish and the GD like this: Listening to the Dead jam is like riding down a river and listening to Phish jam is like riding a galloping horse. Both beautiful experiences that can take you to amazing places, but the experience is very different.

14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

In general that’s true.

However.... a primal Viola Lee, Other One, or Eleven is a runaway freight train... and a beautiful Slave to the Traffic Light jam is as blissful a moment as you’ll find anywhere.

15. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

With Phish you’ve gotta Run like an antelope baby!

16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Oh...and for all the 97 talk... I’d take your time working towards the funk. But when it comes...Dayton 97 is your gateway drug. 12.7.97... pretty close to Phish’s 5.8.77.

Overhyped, over popular, and pretty damn immaculate.

Billy_Sunday, jay.dee and warewolf95 like this.
  17. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Or Runaway Jim! (Am i doing it right?...)

:)

18. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

By the time he came home he was 17.
    That's 119 to you and me.

warewolf95, musicarus and Doggiedogma like this.
  19. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Antelope is much more of a thing that happens. Runaway Jim (and correct me if I'm wrong, I don't care) is more rare and practically has "bust out" status if played.

Plus, Antelope, and correct me if I'm wrong again, thread, many times is played at the end of a set and Page has an extended outro on it. And then he'll say, "Thanks. We had a great time, good night."

Oh, wait a minute, did I just describe "Squirming Coil"? I think I did.

Wolf, don't listen to me, except for the first sentence. Peace.

warewolf95 and Doggiedogma like this.
  20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember in the 90's having a tape from Nectar's 1988 starting with "The Curtain With," and at the end Trey said "The Curtain!....with..." and then my friend and I thought the tape cut off where he was going to say something after "with."

21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I'm listening to the Drum Logos show now. Killer stuff.
    I've always liked Gumbo. The version with horns on A Live One is great.

22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Thanks for the tips. Yep, I pretty much lost interest from 2000-2009, and the little I'd heard and the general consensus about 2002-2004 led to me not seeking it out. While I always try to see them when they come through town and by most of the official released box sets, etc., I don't listen to Phish all that often, so when I do, I've tended to go mostly for 1990s shows.

23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I'll have to track that one down, I haven't heard it. My favorite is the Chicago '94 one with the Mind Left Body Jam. (Paging @Warewolf 95, that one is on an official release and you will dig it).

Billy_Sunday, Cassius, adamos and 3 others like this.
  24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I always thought it was "119 to a human being." 7 dog years = 1 human year, and the math checks out.

25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Antelope is definitely a bit more common, but I don't think Runaway Jim ever really took much of a hiatus. I could be wrong, though, I'm fuzzier on that sort of thing than many of the rest of the folks on this thread. You described Squirming Coil with the big Page outro.

Speaking of Antelope, another one for @warewolf95: 3/13/92 Campus Club, Providence, the "Creaturelope" (i.e., Run Like an Antelope into and out of Big Black Furry Creature From Mars) is one of my favorite shows, another one worth checking out. I lived in Providence at the time, but missed this show because I was at Nassau seeing a mediocre Dead show. I did see the previous year's Campus Club show (on Page's b-day, featuring a power blackout and Trey hurling himself into the drumkit Cobain-style during Creature from Mars), and did catch the next night at Roseland Ballroom, but have always kicked myself for missing that one.