I’m getting a laptop

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jun 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

After years of having to deal with desktops for a long time, I am finally getting a laptop on Sunday.

Don’t know which brand I would like yet, but research will be done today to see which one will be chosen.

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Just don't count on a laptop being better. They all come with their own set of issues. The good thing is that you can easily take it with you.

3. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Best of luck. I could never replace my fully-stuffed desktop with a laptop, but my wife is very happy with her Macbook Pro (I'm a Windows guy, but in general Apple laptops are in a class by themselves for quality). For my occasional need for a portable, I bought an Acer Chromebook for $199 at Best Buy that does everything I need in those situations.

4. MikaelaArsenault

Thank you.

PhilBiker likes this.
  5. MikaelaArsenault

My dad has no issues with his.

Malina and PhilBiker like this.
  6. Grant

Good. But, with all those Windows 10 updates, something is bound to go wrong one of these days because the innards are more proprietary, and depending on the manufacturer, are harder to replace or service, should anything go wrong. You can run a desktop for years without problems. The one I have is almost ten years old with Windows 10 on it. Works great!

A common I see is when people have problems with their computers, instead of getting the problem fixed by a professional, they just go out and buy a new one.

7. macster

macster Forum Resident

Refurbish Surface Pro 3 I5 8GB ram 256 HD here. I purchased a refurbished (3?) years ago. At first I had it setup for the Windows 10 insider program (read constant updates) but after I took it and my desk (self built) off of the Insider program they both have been very stable and to the point actually being boring (as in nothing goes wrong for me to have to fix)/ All in all a very good experience.

M~

8. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

7 on mine Grant, adding components (psu/memory etc over the years has been easy and quite affordable) The only issue I think I have is if I want a better processor i'd have to switch out the motherboard.
    Not sure i'm ready to tackle that one yet :laugh:

9. Carrman

Carrman Forum Resident

OP, what are you looking to do with it?
    Email and music listening? Office work? Media editing? Audio processing?
    Depending on what your tasks are, you can figure out how much horsepower you need and maybe keep cost down.

rxonmymind, gd0, PhilBiker and 2 others like this.
  10. Grant

I can upgrade my processor with my existing board, but there would be no benefit now.

Switching out your motherboard is easy, as you know, but it's basically building a new computer. It's not cheap right now because you have to buy compatible RAM, and maybe a new GPU. But, I enjoy the building process.

I just transferred my mobo into a new case along with a new power supply. It may as well have been un upgrade to me.

PhilBiker, toddfan and c-eling like this.
  11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Don't slam it shut like they do in the movies !!!!
    It's BS, for dramatic effect.
    I've had one laptop, between desktops, and I really didn't even slam it, I closed it too quickly, and bam ! It was dead.
    Had to box it up, and send it back to Japan, where they fixed it under warranty, and shipped it back.
    When it died for good, a few years later, I went back to a desktop.
    Good luck.

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Got a used /year guarantee used MacBook Pro 2012 (non retina )DVD drive. ( recently ).Use my I-phone first then iPad, Macbook. :)

13. Grant

I do not recommend buying a Mac if you are already into the Windows platform. There is a learning curve, and it will be a LOT more expensive. Even if you found one used for cheap, you will be spending money by buying needed accessories.

14. MikaelaArsenault

I did consider getting a MacBook, but those were deemed too expensive.

PhilBiker likes this.
  15. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

THIS.

PhilBiker and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Got my MacBook Pro for 340.00 ...I read up on them for 6 years :). Depends want you want to use them for. Think the cool thing comes into it as well, anytime I was in Starbucks everybody had one. I'm glad I got the 13" version as they are quite heavy..if your lugging them about all day in a backpack. I don't use the internet on it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  17. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

That's good, Mikaela. What is your price range? Will you be buying in a store or mail order?

18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have a Dell "Inspiron" that has worked well. - I use it more like a desktop, because that's pretty much where it stays...
    You may want to consider buying at Best Buy, and getting a "Geek Squad" service plan. Good insurance.

19. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

They are worth it for the add-ons. Most of the Windows lap tops now need a yearly subscription for word through 360 whatever it is and apple comes with word built in. Windows is also going to require a virus scan with yearly renewals and apple doesn't. Mrs. Marmot bought an apple and its a fine computer. She also has a laptop sporting the newest version of Windows 10 and it's nice, but there is a considerable difference between the two for user friendliness.

We have had so many different Windows computers and know of people still using the same apple, for years, during that same time. They are so worth the extra money.

20. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

My Asus ux31a is from 2012 and still performing great with the latest win10 upgrade

21. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, my daughter's MacBook pro is like 6 years old, and works fine. She wants a desktop (PC) now because she uses graphics programs that are thirsty.

22. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

The Dell XPS series is awesome. Great build quality.

23. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

First question: what are your functional needs ?

24. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I got a mid-range Asus and I think its pretty good. about 1000 bucks or so.

25. MikaelaArsenault

That’s where it’s being purchased.

PhilBiker and alexpop like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.