Marillion - Post-Fish

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Putnam39, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Check out Rotherys album.

ytserush and The_Windmill like this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

This is how I'd describe pretty much everything they've done post-Marbles. I really don't know what happened at that point, but it's like they just ran out of great songs. Prog, even at it's most proggy, still has catchy bits, hooks, and really tight musical sections. (Hell, even Marillion made a point to have great singles for the first 20 years of their career...from "Garden Party" to "You're Gone," they are really underrated as an art-pop singles band)

JulesRules likes this.
  3. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Aging like every other human being, perhaps?

4. walrus

It's true. I'm noticing between Marillion and U2 recently there's a point where every artist runs out of memorable hooks and melody ideas. Except Paul McCartney, it seems.

Ivand likes this.
  5. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Are you referring to The Wishing Tree? Rothery only made one album as a solo artist, Ghosts of Pripyat.

6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah Ghosts of Pripyat.

7. Mirror Image

I quite disagree. Ran out of great songs? What in the world? Gaza or Somewhere Else aren’t great songs? Really? Of course, these are just two examples, but to say Marillion haven’t done anything worthwhile since Marbles would be ignoring the great songs that are F.E.A.R. and Sounds That Can’t Be Made. You sound like one of those older Marillion fans who claim that everything post-Fish is garbage. Their discography is so diverse that saying the three albums made after Marbles aren’t ‘up to par’ would be seriously misinformed. There are albums that I don’t like from Marillion and I’ll never come around to like Script For A Jester’s Tear, Fugazi, Radiation, marillion.com, Somewhere Else, and Happiness Is The Road, but even these albums that I dislike have something great on them.

8. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

the only album that has really let me down was somewhere else tried it a few times but nothing really moves me there. all the others at least have a good chunk of stuff that I really enjoy happiness is the road probably could have been one great album instead of 2 good albums but that's ok.

Mirror Image likes this.
  9. Mirror Image

Any idea of what album will get the deluxe edition treatment next? I read somewhere it’ll be Clutching At Straws.

10. walrus

I prefer the H-era to Fish, and by a fair margin. But something definitely changed after Marbles. I try with all of their recent albums, but stuff like Sounds or Happiness, I end the album 75-110 minutes later and can't remember much about what I just listened to, no matter how many times I endure.

I think step one going forward should be forcing themselves to make an old school vinyl-length album, and really distilling all their random ideas down into the best stuff, rather than just making hour-plus albums because they can. I also wish they could learn how to write something resembling an uptempo rock song again...something like "Hard As Love" or "Between You And Me." I miss the big sweeping chorus stuff like "King Of Sunset Town" or "You're Gone"...whole albums of Radiohead-y atmospheric jammy stuff just doesn't leave much of a mark on me, sorry.

LivingForever and JulesRules like this.
  11. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Long time Marillion Freak/Anorak here. Been with them from the beginning. I pay up front for every album. I collect every release.

Every album is great. When you come around to them. They reveal themselves in layers... Ten plays minimum for each album. You gotta learn them.

Then it's all magnificent. And no one will ever convince me otherwise.

Best band going.

12. Mirror Image

Don’t forget the sweeping choruses of Gazpacho and Afraid of Sunlight. :) Anyway, I get your point, I really do, but I guess I’m a bit more open-minded to Marillion changing directions and pushing themselves into musical avenues that they haven’t been down before. To be fair, the Radiohead type of stuff is on Marbles, too. ;) Also, I don’t really hear much Radiohead influence on Sounds That Can’t Be Made or F.E.A.R.. I’m not too familiar with Somewhere Else as I find it quite boring overall.

Dominic jefferson likes this.
  13. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

if you cut montreal sounds that can't be made is probably my favorite Marillion album of the whole bunch.

14. Mirror Image

I certainly wouldn’t try to convince you of anything and your opinion is certainly as valid, or invalid ;), as anyone else’s. All I know is I don’t agree that every album they have recorded has moved me. I’m not sure about ‘ranking’ their albums, but my favorites are (in no particular order): Misplaced Childhood, Clutching At Straws, Seasons End, Brave, Afraid of Sunlight, and This Strange Engine. Of their later output, Marbles, Sounds That Can’t Be Made and F.E.A.R. are quite good, but don’t mean as much to me as those earlier albums.

Thoughtships likes this.
  15. walrus

Afraid Of Sunlight is my favorite Marillion album from any era. I think there's something to them both working under a deadline and keeping the running time to a single-LP.

I don't think they've really changed directions that much since Marbles...Marbles had a bit too much slow stuff, but the songs were really well composed, and a nice balance of epics and tighter 'normal' songs. I've just listened to Sounds and Happiness a bunch of times since they've come out, and couldn't hum any of the songs to you if you put a gun to my head. They sound okay, but they just don't stick with me. They used to write songs that you couldn't get out of your head for days, and wherever that magic came from, IMO they've just run out of it. Happens to every artist eventually.

stodgers likes this.
  16. Mirror Image

We’ll just have to agree to disagree here as I still think they’re still making interesting music as to whether any of it is your cup of tea is strictly personal preference. Of course, many people love the direction they’re going in and, as I said, I’m not fully onboard with everything they’ve done post-This Strange Engine, but will freely admit that there’s some solid music on all of these later albums.

17. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Brave

Mirror Image likes this.
  18. I think the exception to that is "Sounds."

19. walrus

I tried. Even have the (kind of underwhelming) surround mix. I mean, it was more lively than Happiness Is The Road, but still felt like 8 songs sort of in search of a hook. It was probably the best of the post-Marbles records though.

20. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Just heard Somewhere Else for the first time yesterday. Quite enjoyed it, actually.

D.D.

ytserush likes this.
  21. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

That's hardcore. :righton:

D.D.

Thoughtships and The_Windmill like this.
  22. The_Windmill

Just to add my opinion, except for favoring Brave and not really liking Afraid of Sunlight, I'm with @walrus here. Nothing after Marbles really clicks with me and remains memorable. I've listened to each album several times but nothing. Of course, I'm perfectly aware that I have aged as well and my taste with me, but I feel there's a change in their songwriting that lost something I liked. I find last album's lyrics frequently embarrassing for being simplistic and the music seems to me like an underdeveloped patch up of ideas or jams. Happiness was better but still not enough.

JulesRules and walrus like this.
  23. The_Windmill

I honestly envy your loving musical heart.

Thoughtships likes this.
  24. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Based on the fact that Marillion sans H and Fish recently got together at a pub (I think posted on both Fish's and Rothery's FB page) I would say that Clutching is the most likely candidate.

25. Mirror Image

Actually, here’s a photo that confirms my question from Fish’s FB page:

[​IMG]

The caption reads as follows: “Reindeer Inn with a bunch of old mates for a pint or 2 of ‘old hooky’. Shooting the documentary for ‘Clutching at Straws’. Fun time and fine company.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.