OK, so many vinyl fans, but who's just DONE with it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Jun 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Done with it??

At age 18 I had to give records up and go to work on unstable platforms and also travel internationally - constantly, even on vacations, so I had to get into cassettes - and really enjoyed it really. Cassettes were serious FUN for me!

Then I got into CDs but got into them rather late in the game. Loved the 24k golds. It was fun, put a nice collection together. Always felt the price was way to high for regular CDs.

Then @ age 56 I retired... and it was immediately back into LPs. Immediately! With no looking back.

Now... it's LPs & CDs. Both are fine with me but I do much prefer the sound of LPs, it depends. Usually the LPs sound much better than the CDs to me but some CDs do sound better than the LP versions, that's for sure.

For me, LPs just have the 'realness' sound, like honest. The LP sound, maybe the mastering, is what I usually prefer. The "yeah-bash", the punch, of analogue sound. :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Dude111, Archguy, Bob_in_OKC and 3 others like this.
  2. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Your of coarse right Dennis.

As for the part about critical listening I've never been in that camp although we test many things and discus what we hear.I much prefer to enter the audio room with a favorite spirit ,sit back and relax.

timind, Tim 2 and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm not done with vinyl. I doubt that I'll ever be done with it. It's too much fun. I can't believe that people get so fussed over it.

gakerty, Dude111, Archguy and 5 others like this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I have to work at it a bit, I can be a real obsessive prick from time to time. I find that having a couple systems is helpful. I can get pissed at the turntable in the garage and the one in the music room sounds like a dream come true.

AlmanacZinger and Tim 2 like this.
  5. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I have 8 turntables, or is it 9? Anyway, a few are kinda expensive modern tables (at least for me they are) and the rest are nice 1970's tables, like my new Sony 2251 and my Pioneer PL 50, that work well. I ain't giving up vinyl for a while, maybe when I get so old I can't handle the stuff anymore. Which table do I enjoy the most? My lowly but perfectly running Garrard 990B. Why? Because it is a fun turntable to use. It's not the best sounding but I enjoy it. I think it cost me $35. It's a funky idler + belt drive system maybe that is what makes it enjoyable.

Edit, if anyone has an Acoustic Research AR XA for sale contact me. I want one of those too :)

56GoldTop likes this.
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have always preferred vinyl over it's digital counterparts. Now that I have significantly upgraded my vinyl playback system, I can't get enough of vinyl. I still like cds, sacds, dvda's etc. but AAA vinyl is really great now days.

7. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I’m hemp wit all dat Funk..in stuff:)

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

9. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Great picture, but I don’t know about cheaper

troggy, OldSoul, Tim 2 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I guess it depends on how much therapy you need.

troggy, Tim 2 and Manimal like this.
  11. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Analog only here since 1980.

SirMarc, Dennis0675 and Manimal like this.
  12. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Depends on when you were buying the vinyl.

Manimal likes this.
  13. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Or how crazier you are:)

14. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

For many of my albums, there is no substitute. The cds available do not come even close to the sound of the vinyl. In some cases there are a few pops or clicks, but the tone cannot be matched.
    Occasionally the cd is better sounding because the mastering was done well. I enjoy playing those cds, and always on the lookout for the well mastered ones. But records rule in my house.

wgriel, SirMarc and stax o' wax like this.
  15. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

im listen right now guns roses lies original cassette in a rain night with headphones and no other format can beat it :love: so clear, with echoes, WOW

bluesky likes this.
  16. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

curious. Do you mean vinyl vs. CD? If you still spin discs have you tried ABX w/ CDs and a media server?

17. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

Have not.

18. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

If you own a very good table/cartridge and phono pre the LP is a more rewarding listen and gives you something cd's cannot.....imaging and proper soundstage.
    Having said that I own a couple thousand cd,sacd, and bluray discs that I enjoy very much and can understand why someone wouldn't want the trouble of a analog playback.
    I find it fun and a very engaging listen.
    But it's not for everyone.

SirMarc and bluesky like this.
  19. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

We have vinyl and CD's in the den. I asked my 11 year old which she preferred...her response was"They are the same thing." That is more true than not.

rednedtugent likes this.
  20. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

I'm NOT putting a TT in the garage. :faint:

21. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I mean there is a refrigerator with beer out there, seems like a natural fit.

troggy, Archguy, bluesky and 2 others like this.
  22. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I like having several system too, one by the the house bar, one by the garage bar. :cheers::cheers:

AlmanacZinger and Dennis0675 like this.
  23. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yes I did it and have no regrets.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  24. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Yeah, I'll be done with vinyl... ...as soon as I buy a few more albums... ...and a few more carts... ...and a couple more turntables... and...

wgriel likes this.
  25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I'm having a bit of a vinyl existential crisis right now.

4_everyman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.