EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Yeah, the George Michael live version doesn't do much for me.

I do get a kick out of the crowd going insane when he brings Elton out, however.

Hey Vinyl Man and Jrr like this.
  2. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I seem to recall Mr. John receiving a Best Pop Vocal Performance - Male and Record of the Year nomination in the Grammys for "Don't Let The Sun..." - yet he thought the vocals on that song, and for that matter the whole Caribou LP, a tad weak. "Sick City," the B side, however, I.I.N.M., was single-only.

"Don't Let The Sun..." featured backing vocals from two of The Beach Boys, Carl Wilson and Bruce Johnston; Billy Hinsche, late of the '60's group Dino, Desi & Billy; and Toni Tennille, one year before we'd start hearing from her as one-half of The Captain & Tennille. While it may've "only" gone to #2 here, at least it was an improvement over his native Britain where it could only muster #16.

And I agree about the original being the definitive. Couldn't stand Mr. Michael's version meself.

Though it was within this period that another George Michael - then a DJ with Philadelphia Top 40 powerhouse WFIL "Famous 56" - was about to take over the early evening time slot at WABC Musicradio 77 in New York following the departure of longtime station personality "Cousin Brucie" Morrow for 66 WNBC. (The same George Michael, folks, who later became a sportscaster and host of The George Michael Sports Machine.)

WLL, pablo fanques and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

"Annie's Song" - now THAT was CLEARLY disco, right? ;)

4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Oh come on Bobby, of course it’s because of ONJ! Actually, I believe that album was regarded as his best in general, and did very well in the US. Three huge hits for him on that one, I think the only one to generate that kind of action. He was firing on all cylinders at that time. And didn’t the film Oh God come out during that time? He was perfect in that role. I’m too lazy to look it up, but I think we have another one coming up from that album, maybe a double sided, that contains two of my top five songs? The Friday Music (I think it was them) issue of his Greatest Hits II is very well done; the only Vintage Denver album on vinyl I have that is decent sounding; I have most of his catalog but it’s one that hasn’t aged well...most would be fine with a compilation.

I think when he was recording his foremost concern was “who can record me and make sure my songs have no dynamic range whatsoever”? Kudos in that he succeeded in spades, but it shows that strong songs are what sells music. That would change for him after this album. Everyone has a peak and this was his. A long, slow descent to obscurity would start after Windsong, though he was allowed to continue on longer than most in that position, but he would enjoy a brief bump with Seasons Of The Heart, imo his finest album for both SQ and music consistency. Shanghai Breezes is, imo, his best song. But I don’t think it sold particularily well, and he made it knowing he was very disappointed in RCA in not promoting him better in later years. Would it have made a difference? I don’t think so in that when he had a good song, it still hit...Some Days Are Diamonds (though I just played the album again and it did nothing for me but he had the one hit) and Shanghai Breezes.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Caribou was recorded right smack in the middle of a tour. They were in and out of the Caribou studio in two weeks, and they went in with no songs written. The guys a genious! I’m not sure if he would have brought in any new fans with that album, though I’m sure the two singles (TBIS is one of the best “singles” song ever imo, with an amazing opening) sold more albums to new people. However, I think most of us that already liked Elton, and of course it was millions, thought it was at least serviceable, and I personally enjoy it a lot. I used to listen to Ticking over and over with my headphones. Wasn’t Bernie amazing with story songs? I liked DLTSGDOM from day one. And count me as one that despised the George Michael version. I still can’t stand it...it just come on when I was playing a compilation album.

This thread is really firing up for me!!! Fun stuff everyone....great info, and I discovered that Henry Stone bio and learned how TK Records was run...look forward to more adventures here. FYI: there is a great podcast interview with his son that isn’t that old...his father had already passed on. Henry didn’t want any of his kids to enter the music biz, but this one wasn’t going to be told no and finally Henry caved and they worked together for the rest of Henry’s 93 years. His son took a chance and distributed a song from overseas that became a national anthem for anything sports related, in the 90’s. Good for him!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

He scores extra points for "The Bitch Is Back" becoming a #1 single!

sunspot42 and Jrr like this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That’s for sure. The perfect single; I’m not sure anyone else would have got away with that title back then. Isn’t the opening absolutely perfect?!

sunspot42 and Grant like this.
  8. Black Thumb

I do agree with Gus Dudgeon that Caribou wasn't EJ's finest moment, but c'mon, the two singles were killer!

DLTSGDOM (oh, these acronyms!) contains Elton's infamous pronunciation of "discard" ("don't diz-gard me") and to this day I still deliberately use it.

Some people even still pick up on it when I do.

SomeCallMeTim, Jrr and Grant like this.
  9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

For the purposes of this thread, The Bitch Is Back was not a #1 single. It was certainly played a lot but it stalled at #4, probably due to the word in the title causing radio play problems in certain areas. Dusty Springfield sang back-up on this one. I guess everyone wanted to be on the Elton train by this point.

WLL, SomeCallMeTim and sunspot42 like this.
  10. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I'm trying to quote some earlier posts, but the system I am on is very slow today, so I'll just mention the items with the understanding I am responding to some earlier posts.

From about five posts above --- Sportscaster George Michael eventually wound up on NBC (Channel 4) in Washington DC. He was there from about 1980 until his death in late 2009.
    I had seen the syndicated George Michael Sports Machine while living in Philadelphia in the '90s. When I moved to Washington DC in 2000, one of the reasons I chose to watch Channel 4's news was because George Michael was the sportscaster. I liked him a lot. Didn't realize he has been gone for over 8 years (I would have guessed no more than 5).

Re: Elton's use of "dis - gard" in DLTSGDOM --- I could never decide if he really meant "discard" or "disregard". Both words fit what he is saying in that line.

pablo fanques likes this.
  11. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

The movie Oh God! was out in 1977, I believe (not 1974).

Jrr and Grant like this.
  12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

My bad. I don't know how that jelled in my mind. But, #4 is still very high! The competition on the charts at the time was very stiff, so, it very well could have made it to #1. As long as something made it to the top 10, it's a certifiable hit.

13. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The one and only time I saw Elton in concert, probably between '74 and '75, he brought the Tower Of Power horn section with him. Thank God, since Bitch wouldn't have been the same without them.

SomeCallMeTim and sunspot42 like this.
  14. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That’s interesting...I would have bet $$ it was. I know we’re not using other charts, but the music geek I was back then I also used to pay for (!) a copy of Cashbox Magazine which was a chart that was also considered legit, and I do think it hit the top on that one. But whatever, it’s a number 1 to me! And it again proves that anything in the top ten is usually the same quality as anything that hit the top.

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Crime.

Elton wanted Dusty on the train - he was a huge fan.

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

He hated that lyric, and the song as well, which is why he purposely screwed it up. He had no idea it was destined to be a huge hit...he has always said he does a poor job selecting singles. Yup. But, if you really think about it I don’t think it was an obvious one. MCA was a bit brave giving it a shot, though admittedly there isn’t exactly a well of singles on pop singles on that album. It seems like a natural choice now, but I don’t know about then. That opening...it’s long, slow and asking fans to hang in there awhile before it kicks in. Radio wasn’t keen on waiting for songs to “kick in”. The Bitch Is Back sure kicks in! It never stops...what energy. I think it sapped it all from DLTSGDOM.

SomeCallMeTim, Dougd and Black Thumb like this.
  17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I'm in no way casting aspersions or minimizing what the other industry charts did, it's just that this particular thread deals with Billboard.

Jrr likes this.
  18. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Annie's Song kept Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me at #2??? Even more reason to diz-gard John Denver! JRR posted "I think when he [Denver] was recording his foremost concern was “who can record me and make sure my songs have no dynamic range whatsoever”?" This comment gets 100 bonus points.

I never knew EJ hated DLTSGDOM - I think it's one of his most brilliant singles ever - Sick City is a great non-album b-side (Elton had a lot of these). After the mega-success of GYBR, he could do anything he wanted - hence the long, slow intro to Sun and using the word Bitch in the title of a single. A couple of great memories connected with TBIB:

1. A friend and I went hiking one summer day and we stopped at a little picnic area in a secluded part of the park to have lunch and cool off. The entire park was fairly empty and there were many picnic areas that were completely void of people. We had a little boombox cassette deck going at a rather low level when up pulls a big car with parents and loud kids and they proceed to park their stuff immediately next to us. My friend and I were wanting a little privacy to - ahem - enjoy a little puff of nature - so my friend popped out the cassette playing and put in Caribou and cranked it. On comes TBIB and these people are horror struck. They pack up and get out of there before the second verse is over. I know it was kind of mean, but it's like when you're practically the only person in the theater and someone comes in and sits RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU.

2. When I was working in radio, my station manager would allow TBIB to be played, but if we were to announce it, he 'suggested' that we say the letter B in place of the naughty word. SO I proceeded to call the track "The Bitch Is B". At least I worked the 6 pm to midnight shift when I could get away with such things.

As far as the Caribou album goes, it certainly isn't as strong as GYBR, but it has a load of charm all its own. Dixie Lily is a cool little study in Americana, Ticking is a great story song that's even more relevant today, I've Seen The Saucers is THE production number of the album and is one of my favorites from the record and You're So Static is a solid rocker to close out side one. About the only track I don't really like is Solar Prestige A Gammon because it's a bit too much of a kiss-off by Taupin. It's like they were pressing him for one more set of lyrics and so he turns in this nonsense. The music to the song isn't bad, but really, it should have been an instrumental.

19. Victor/Victrola

10 minutes, huh? It took that long?
    OK, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, it's heartfelt and touching and blah blah blah. It's pleasant enough, but to be #1 for so many weeks really got old quickly.
    Keeping one of EJ's best singles out of the top spot is criminal!
    Matching eyeglasses. Cute.

sunspot42, Jrr and Black Thumb like this.
  20. Victor/Victrola

LOL. If you guys and gals can't tell, I'm not very fond of "Annie's Song". I would link the Monty Python skit associated with this record, but I'd probably get banned from the forum.

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

Elton's song inspired the title of this great album.

SomeCallMeTim and Black Thumb like this.
  22. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I've always asked, and I will again, if any photos exist of Mr. Denver with EJ. One wonders how Denver's career would have fared if he did a record or two with the now-Sir Elton (if only Denver providing the lyrics and Mr. John the music). Both had Olivia Newton-John ties - she once did a TV appearance covering "Candle In The Wind" with Elton himself on piano, and later in the '80's he produced one of her singles after her chart career dropped off precipitously for good.

23. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

[ on the John Denver Annie's Song ]
    It is a beautiful song.

24. Black Thumb

Just for kicks, here's what the teenyboppers were into at our point in the timeline.

[​IMG]

25. Dougd

Dougd Forum Resident

I agree wholeheartedly.
    Of course, there are some Top 10s that don't sound like Top 10s (we've seen these), and there are some Top 20s that sound like No. 1s.

China Grove, Long Train' Runnin', The Goodbye Girl, Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting, etc., all sounded like Top 10 hits, but "only" hit the Top 20.

But, when a song remains at Nos. 2-5 for long periods of time....

Jrr likes this.