90's action! Van Damme or Segal?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Say It Right, Jun 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Above the law I think:)

Brenald79 and Dude111 like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I watched "Lionheart" tonight - I might have to change my vote away from Van Damme! :hurl:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

My vote is for Van Damm, but the Seagal movie Marked For Death will always be one of my favorite 80's relics, especially this scene with Screwball. During high school years, me and my friends probably acted out Screwball's rant here 100 times. "Who do, da white boy hatcher?" was one of my favorite quotes.

Holy Diver and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. agentalbert

I totally dig Lionheart. I watched it just a year or so ago and still enjoyed it all the way through.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Steven!!!!

1) Above the law (1988)

2) Hard to kill (1990)

3) Marked for death (1990)

4) Out for Justice (1991)

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Brenald79 likes this.
  6. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

JCVD's movies always have a derivative & cheesy quality to them. At least Seagal, for those first few anyway, brought something new to the screen. Have to separate the current caricature of the real person from the movies he did back then.

7. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I grew up loving these movies, but it's not even close. There's a famous story, possibly apocryphal, that Steven Seagal's success was down to an agent who took a bet that he could make anyone into a star, even his charmless meatball of a martial arts instructor. It rings true.

I can only think of a couple of Seagal pictures that stand up -- Above the Law and the great Under Siege, which is great only because of memorable bad guy performances.

Van Damme was handsome, charismatic, and (as JCVD shows) a much better actor, and Timecop, Universal Soldier, Hard Target and Sudden Death (to say nothing of JCVD and the two most recent Universal Soldier movies) are endlessly rewatchable. I even have a soft spot for the terrible but atmospheric Cyborg, which he's good in.

alexpop, Chris DeVoe and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I went with Segal, but the wife loves "Sudden Death" because it's cheesy and it involves the Pittsburgh Penguins. The scene with the mascot kills her every time.

Say It Right likes this.
  9. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired Thread Starter

During that time, a buddy got a kick out of how Seagal movies always had 3-word titles. He said that the next one should be "Hell To Pay."

Dude111 and eddiel like this.
  10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

That might not work, because besides three words, I believe the other criterion was that they could all be read by a trailer voice guy as "Steven Segal is ... [insert three word title]"

Maybe "Overstaying the Welcome":)

BadJack, eddiel and Plan9 like this.
  11. Oatsdad

Maybe ya gotta have warm 'n' fuzzies for the movie from back in the day. This was my first screening of it and I thought it was awful - just amateurish garbage! :sigh:

12. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

I have a soft spot for both JCVD & Steven Seagal's 80's/early 90's efforts. Seagal's movies seemed to have the grittier storylines tied to drugs/corruption, where JCVD had the "become the best fighter" storylines with some more comical, light-hearted touches to each movie. I will give the slight edge to JCVD mainly for Paul Hertzog's Bloodsport soundtrack.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. agentalbert

The French Foreign Legion, immolated brother, evil hot bitch who works out in lingerie, lambchop sideburned Turkish baddie who strokes a white cat like Blofeld, fighting in partially drained swimming pool, the freckled ginger sweet girl played by Lisa Pelikan, etc. What's not to love? Doesn't Van Damme even put some guy through the fiberglass window of a racquetball court at some point?

But yeah, I can see how if I didn't watch this and his other movies over and over as a kid, they might not hold as much charm today. Van Damme was my idol back then. I worked out like crazy trying to look like him.

Say It Right likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

How'd that end up for ya? Did they call ya "The Flexes From Texas"? :D

15. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired Thread Starter

You can't forget staging a fight in a parking garage!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Bottom line, I don't give a Damme about the other guy. :D

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. alexpop

What about Ringo Lam's In Hell?

Brenald79 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Steven Segal.

"l hope they weren't triplets."

[​IMG]

agentalbert likes this.
  19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Good prison drama. The prison fight scenes from Banshee reminded me of that movie and Lock Up with Stallone.

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

Yes the movie payed a homage to quite a few films. But..JCVD had to act in this one.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

Van Damme, definitely.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. alexpop

One looked like a tree, the other could climb one. :D

23. DaysWentRollingBy

DaysWentRollingBy Well-Known Member

I vote for Van Damme. In the 90's, I had many posters of him, and a scrapbook ! I can't say the same for Segal - I only saw one of his movies, and never wanted to see another.

I've probably only seen half of Van Dammes movies, but I remember enjoying Time Cop, Universal Soldier & Bloodsport .

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

Those were all good Van Damme movies. My favorite Segal movie was Under Siege I think that was the name. It was the one where the bad guys took over a battleship and Segal took it back.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It was also the one with the cake strip scene:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.