Jethro Tull – Stormwatch remix

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PROGGER, Jun 11, 2018.

1. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident Thread Starter

Time to discuss this anticipated release.

2. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Really looking forward to this one. For some odd reason when they toured for this album they never came close to where I was (unlike the previous two tours) and I wound up missing them.
    I am anticipating a nice soundboard live recording from this era as one of the bonuses.

3. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Will close out the seventies recordings nicely. Loving the Heavy Horses LP record I picked up in April.

4. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Now this is better.

Usually we start with what can be added as extras:

Bradford Bazaar
    King Henry Madrigal
    Crossword
    Stich in Tie (short and long versions)
    Kelpie

And as I said earlier, I would love to see a live disc too, but seems not probable at this time.

head_unit, footlooseman and CBS 65780 like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

looking forward to it
    the whole 5.1 thing is what tuned my ear more closely to to tull. previously all i had was aqualung and broadsword .... it turns out they aren't even close to my favourites

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Why not? Seems likely they would have recordings both with Glascock spring '79 and Pegg fall '79/spring '80.

7. Daniel Falaschi

Of course there are recordings of the 1979 and 1980 shows. The problem is if they can get them, and if they are willing to release them. Jakko has confirmed that he is not involved in SW, so I think there won´t be live.

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

that's a shame ...

footlooseman likes this.
  9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It takes Jakko's involvement for live material to be included? How very odd.

10. Daniel Falaschi

So far, yes.

11. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Is Steven Wilson still on for this?

12. Daniel Falaschi

Nobody knows for sure at this point.

13. Daniel Falaschi

Let´s not forget about this

[​IMG]

14. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

As of last month, Steven had no plans to remix Stormwatch. See link and below... of course, that's all subject to change, and the quote kind of reads to me as a message to Ian to get off your **** and get the project started.

Q: Your tenth remix of Jethro Tull recently came out, regarding the album “Heavy horses” (1978). Are you going to continue with “Stormwatch” (1979)?
    SW: I don’t know if I’m going to have time. I already remixed “This was” (1968), the first one, and it will be released soon. I’m very busy nowadays, and I even started to write my next album, which I want to record this year. I do not think I’m going to work on “Stormwatch”, but I’m sure they’ll find someone else, because those have been very successful releases.

deredordica and lucan_g like this.
  15. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I really hope Steve Wilson is at the helm on this, the other reissues are excellent and Stormwatch deserves the same treatment.

bluerondo, lordfalconer and grbl like this.
  16. Me too. At least Steve and Ian have set a successful template for moving forward with these quality releases.

bluerondo and tinnox like this.
  17. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

Blues Instrumental also.

M321115 and Doctor Flang like this.
  18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

And "Jams O'Donnell's Jig," one of the two Fairport numbers (with Peggy's Pub) they started playing live after Pegg joined.

footlooseman likes this.
  19. Grassy Sound

True, but I was only referring to studio recordings.

20. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Always wanted to give this album a go. But word of the mouth around here, folks have said how a little bad it sounded.

21. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

I'm not a Tull expert so I may be wrong about this, but was there a BBC documentary on Tull around the time of "Stormwatch"? Perhaps that could be included (cost of licensing permitting of course).

fishyboots and M321115 like this.
  22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Nah, it doesn't sound "bad" by any means, unless you have a bad copy.

23. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Personally they have to do this because I was expecting my favourite Tull "outtake" Broadford Bazaar to turn up on Heavy Horses and found out it was being held over to Stormwatch. Also, it makes sense to at least finish off the so-called Folk-rock trilogy. Whilst I admit that many (including myself) would love to see a Broadsword & The Beast MEGA box with all the lovely outtakes and such, they need to at least finish things off with Stormwatch.

24. Grassy Sound

It was during the 1979 spring tour. An early version of Dark Ages was played, but it otherwise has no connection with Stormwatch.

fishyboots and footlooseman like this.
  25. Daniel Falaschi

The Arena BBC documentary is interesting, and availale on youtue, at least partially.
    I was told there is more footage from the Portland and Seattle footage than the short snippets in the docuemntary. But I doubt those gigs were multitracked. The docuentary also shows the band in teh studio recording Dark Ages with John G.. It might be an alternate take since he´s not credited in that particular song in the album.
    Whilst JT sought permision to use the Sight and Sound BBC footage for SFTW and declined due to the copyright fees, Dire Straits for example used their Arena doc in the latest Alchemy DVD. So maybe there is a chance that they might use it. Would be cool.

Pete Puma likes this.