Grateful Dead-Pacific Northwest-73-74/19 disc box set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Jun 12, 2018.

1. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

:unhunh:

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  2. clgoss77

clgoss77 Forum Resident

unravelled, RiRiIII and ggergm like this.
  3. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I'm having a hard time characterizing them. If you like 72, it's kind of like that, but more. Jazz-fusion country funk space rock jams? There are some really massive and out there jams in these shows, running the gamut really of what they did back then.

I just listened to all 3 of the 73 shows a few weeks back, I haven't heard the 74 shows in a while. 74 is typically funkier, they do the individual songs with more idiosyncratic rhythm. 6-22-73 I had the first set tape forever, it was one of the perfect first sets of that era, IMO, my introduction to the Race is On, early Looks Like Rain, Box of Rain etc.

If I had to pick just one year of Grateful Dead, it would probably be 74 (though thankfully I don't.)

4. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Ah, 3CD set! Didn't see that, thank you! They did a nice job on the selections, I think that will soothe me for now. (I'd trade Brown-Eyed Women for They Love Each Other, though.)

5. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Yes. Compared to 12 for regular shipping it was a no brainer.

Matthew Tate and Jerry Horne like this.
  6. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

Yeah, that was my understanding from NedBase. Still, my initial thoughts went, "1974... Seastones!"

I fantasize about a digital-only thing (because it wouldn't sell enough to warrant physical copies) of all the Seastones from the existing 1974 releases that weren't included for space limitations. With the crown jewel being the Seastones>Jam>Eyes>Wharf Rat from 9/11/74.

I recognize I have a problem.

7. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I thought Dave lived in San Fran?

8. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Take time to watch DL's viddy chat, a good place to start.

(One of these days Dave is going to slip on those damn rocks, hit his head and it will be all over. I sure hope he's training someone with the same initials.)

9. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

The good and bad news is that this is a must purchase for almost any Dead fan. 73/74 is definitely their jazziest and most improv heavy, to the point of occasionally being meandering. But at its best I think these are some of the best shows they’ve done.

rxcory, thgord, Ezzie and 4 others like this.
  10. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

I’ve never ordered any of the big Dead boxes before, but I’m a sucker for ‘73 so....
    ORDERED!

11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

12. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

There is a pretty meaty looking 3CD compilation if you can't muster the box financially, as I was alerted to by this thread : )

If you're light on these years, though, this is the "jazzy Dead" as others have noted and this looks like a nice representative scoop of that era. 5/19/74's the only one I'm personally familiar with, but the band's playing & mind-melding at an extremely high level in this era.

This is the peak era for Eyes of the World & Playing In the Band. China Doll is in its first flower, and China Cat jams are long and a little slower-grooving. This is the only period with the fast They Love Each Other, or Here Comes Sunshine at all until a 90s revival in a different arrangement. And shortly after these June '73 appearances, Box of Rain & Bird Song got retired for the remainder of the 70s.

zongo, Ezzie, AxiomAcoustics and 8 others like this.
  13. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Any predictions on how long it will take for this box to sell out?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

3 CD SET is good for me. Free computer screen background image is cool.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

How lucky were those folks in Vancouver to get Dead shows in 1973 and 1974! Why they
    would play out there and not in Toronto is beyond my comprehension. Anyway, the 3-CD
    set for me.

16. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

If money is a concern, I would pass. There is a ton of great sounding 73-74 already released and freely available on the archive.
    These boxes are for the obsessives and the mildly deranged. There is nothing uniquely compelling about pretty much any GD release.

And yes, I have pre-ordered. :wave:

17. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

In there like a prom dress!

18. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I sometimes think that the guys at GD HQ just sit around all day pondering what challenge they can throw down to the interior decor of their fans ....

19. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Sell the last 3 box sets on EBay and buy this one.

Doggiedogma and bzfgt like this.
  20. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

This will look great in my Plank House.

21. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

He lives in Victoria, BC I think.

Crispy Rob and SBegonias17 like this.
  22. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I actually have emailed them about changing to expedited shipping and they are replying very quickly. And my order went through with no hassles.

23. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Ordered!!!!

24. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

This is the correct answer.
    Then sell this one to fund the next.

bzfgt, ducksdeluxe and KDubATX like this.
  25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I think I'll show some control and just buy the 3 CD set.

Matthew Tate likes this.