Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

This is likely a person who is not familiar with turntables. Why is he not letting the damping mech lower the arm and jerking it up suddenly. He certainly might have an issue with that record after doing the video. Can't tell if there is a fault or it's the user from the video.

recstar24 and displayname like this.
  2. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

There is a mint one for sale in the Pink Fish classifieds (v trustworthy U.K. hifi forum) for £2k delivered.

3. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

This guy is very gentle with the lifter and has the same problem

Same guy with a 1210-M5G
    Technics 1210-M5G Arm Lowering

With a SL 1210MK5
    Technics SL-1210MK5 Arm Lowering

Only in the GR the tonearm wobbles back and forth

oregonalex, AArchie and displayname like this.
  4. Chris Treece

Now £1900 delivered, or £1800 collected. Not sure where the seller is located in the UK

5. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Thanks for spotting that. I contacted him but he's agreed a sale with someone.

I'm actually ever so slightly nervous about buying a turntable second hand. Anything else I won't hesitate with (what could go wrong with an amp or speakers?) but there are just so many delicate and moving parts on a turntable.

displayname likes this.
  6. Chris Treece

I'd be less concerned about buying a nearly new 1200G than pretty much any other bit of kit! Tank-like reputation fully justified - you'd have to go some to damage one.

punkmusick likes this.
  7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I was thinking the same. "Delicate" and "Technics" sound weird in the same phrase.

Davey likes this.
  8. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

In my experience, and I've bought a few used tables, never take anything for granted, assume the seller doesn't know how to pack a table so question them about removing platter and counterweight, and securing tonearm, and anything else needed to help assure safe passage. Ebay is full of junk tables and damaged parts because of poor shipping, all tables are delicate.

9. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Yes I know, I didn't mean it literally, just having fun.

10. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

There is always the warranty to consider. It sure is nice to have when putting out that kind of money.

11. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

How many years is the warranty? I guess it must not be transferable based on your comment. It is all new circuitry under the hood, so probably a good idea to have a warranty for few years, like with any new product.

12. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I did get in touch with the seller (thanks for spotting this) but unfortunately, he's agreed a sale with someone else.

13. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Looks like 3 year parts and labor in the US.

14. Classicrock

I remember seeing a Youtube video of a destroyed SME 20 due to the seller not disassembling, removing bearing oil etc. Some expensive damage. Some people are clueless idiots when it comes to anything mechanical.

15. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

OK so I am seriously considering buying new, for £2500. But I will be buying blind. There are no dealers where I can go and listen to it, or even see and touch it. I have 2 questions which may appear superficial, but hey, these things matter.

1) Does this thing look and feel like a £2500 turntable? Does the plinth really have a substantial, hewn-from-solid-metal look to it?

2) I read on another forum that the arm appears "toy like". I currently have a Jelco 750D which is reassuringly weighty and solid. Can anyone provide any reassurance on that?

Thanks in advance!

displayname likes this.
  16. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

1) Yes.

2) Nothing toy like about it. The arm is much more substantial than, by contrast, the Audio Technica LP120, which has an arm that looks and feels more like a toy to me. The 1200GR arm has a satin aluminum finish and exceptionally smooth bearings. It's hand assembled in Japan.

PhilBiker, nosliw and keiron99 like this.
  17. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Keiron99,

I don't have the G, I have the GR, but other than reading other owners actual reviews I also bought mine blind and I'm very happy. If I can pass this GR on to one of my kids or find a local buyer, I'll get the G from the same seller I bought the GR from, Robert Zohn at Value Electronics. Good luck and enjoy it!

Phil

AppleCorp3, displayname and recstar24 like this.
  18. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Same. I was lucky enough to get in on Roberts first shipment of GR’s last summer and couldn’t have been happier. Pretty much bought blind other than familiarity with the older 1200’s as a DJ but it was clear Panasonic was serious about entering as a hifi competitor.

I would add that the GR build quality wise screams quality and I have zero issues for what I paid, based on build quality alone I feel like I more than got my worth. The G with it’s super sexy brass sub platter and magnesium arm are of even higher quality.

19. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I bought my G "blind" but based on other's reviews and my experience with a Mk2. I haven't had a moment of regret. It is a tank and a thing of beauty. The platter is really something!

PhilBiker and recstar24 like this.
  20. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

After seeing the G and the GR in person, I don't think either look or feel like toys, but I will say the visible difference between the two is striking. Everything is in the same place and same general dimensions, but the G is noticeably more attractive in my opinion and feels more substantial even if you're only handling the tone arm.

I honestly think you could put both tables in front of someone completely unfamiliar with turntables/vinyl, and they could pick out which was more expensive. Not to knock the GR at all. I just think they really took care of the details to separate the two, and not just with the sound.

21. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

And there should be.

PhilBiker, Aftermath and displayname like this.
  22. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Agreed. I’m a happy GR owner but having seen them both side by side at axpona in the technics room, it was clear they took the G to the next level. I admit I drooled.

PhilBiker and displayname like this.
  23. Classicrock

Looking at your existing set up and given you have a Jelco arm I would caution that a GR might be the way to go. Maybe try some upgrades to feet and mat for a start. I think you are right to be looking at £2500 as a target price. How about initially transferring your Jelco to a Notts Analogue Ace Spacedeck or Michell Gyrodec plus HR power supply. I think if you want a much better DD sound the 1200G is the way to go.

Dubmart, PhilBiker and displayname like this.
  24. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Well, I did an experiment yesterday, transferring the stock arm back to my 1200G to test with the Koetsu. I was not a fan of the sound. Very thin and mechanical sounding. So I went through the whole process again, putting the Jelco back on. I would say though, that the Kiseki sounds better in the stock arm than the Jelco, but the Koetsu works much better with the Jelco than the stock arm.

avanti1960, PhilBiker and displayname like this.
  25. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Thanks for the responses to my original question on the "perceived" value of the SL1200G.

I have agreed a good price with a retailer. But here's a question, and please don't laugh at me...!

I asked that if I sent him my cartridge on my existing headshell (cos I tried, and can't get the tags off the pins) would he install it on the new headshell and align it for me. Now, keep in mind I also really struggle to install and align carts.

With that in mind, do you think it's worth £50 of my hard earned, which he wants to charge? Or should I struggle on, risk damage to my AT150MLX and my sanity?

(I guess I also need to put it in context of what the table is actually costing!)

Have I just answered my own question? :)

PhilBiker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.