SACD player upgrade below $1,500

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by deniss, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deniss

deniss Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Dear all,

I would like to upgrade the disc player in my 2-channel system. I'm using Yamaha DVD-S1800 right now (universal player capable of SACD, DVD-A, DTS), and I have been very happy with it. But I am wondering if there's something more out there. :)

I like the SACD format and have a few discs in that format, so I would prefer the new player to have SACD capability. I also have a couple of DVD-A and 1 DTS disc, but these are less important to me, and I can keep my current player to handle those, as it seems to play them quite well.

My system is: Klipsch RF-7 II floorstanding speakers, Onkyo Integra M-502 amp (140 w/ch), Schiit Freya Pre-Amp (which I run in tube mode with original tubes). Most of the time I also use 2X ART Pro Channel in my system to EQ slightly, as I play a lot of blues recordings.

My original choice was Marantz SA8005, but I realize I missed that boat.

I am aware of the following SACD players in my price range (below $1,500):

Yamaha CD-S1000
    Denon DCD-1600NE

Reviews for both the units seem to be generally quite favorable, from my web browsing.

If I have to sacrifice the SACD option, then I was mulling over additional options:

Cambridge Azur 851C
    Cambridge CXC transport + Schiit Gungnir DAC

Some time in the near future, I would like to add a network player to my system. I am aware of Marantz ND8006, which is CD+network. However, as my wife observantly suggested, we should add the network player as a separate piece, as it is more likely to be impacted by fast-changing technology.

So, back to SACD/CD player upgrade... Any recommendations on my choices above? Anything I missed in this price range? Anything REALLY worth considering JUST outside of my budget?

Thanks in advance!

2. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

scobb likes this.
  3. deniss

I forgot to mention, "brand new" is important to me. I prefer to get factory warranty for a peace of mind, and I also keep my gear for a long time.

4. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Cool.......

What about an OPPO UDP 203 then?........
    You still get to play your DVD/A's too!!!

I have a 205 and think it's brilliant:agree:

chili555 and deniss like this.
  5. deniss

You're right. However, the local AV store I'm working with cannot get any Oppo units anymore (they sold everything out by now), and I would prefer to work with this local store rather than buy online.

6. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I guess you need to weigh up narrowing of options... vs... convenience then.
    Good Luck.:)

black sheriff and The Beave like this.
  7. bean_counter

bean_counter Well-Known Member

Honestly, if I were you I would save up for the Marantz SA14-S1. (The above linked auction is a much older unit, not the current S1). The Marantz 'house sound' for their SACD units can best be described as 'laid back', might be a good fit for your Klipsch. I found the SA8004 a bit too laid back in my system, which tends 'warm' already.

If you can go used, the SA8004 is for all practical purposes the same as the SA8005 (8004 DAC input isn't DSD capable, other minor improvements to 8005) and goes pretty cheap.

deniss likes this.
  8. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Marantz still lists the SA8005 as available on their site.

9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'd suggest the Oppo 205 if you can get one from Oppo when they do the last allotment of players.

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer

tmtomh likes this.
  10. deniss

Marantz SA14-S1 definitely looks like a great suggestion and may be the end-all solution in terms of quality and capability. My only reservation is that its price point is similar to the price point the speakers in my system. I read somewhere that speakers should be about 2X the investment compared to any other component in the system. But I guess that's not a hard-and-fast rule. :D

Yes, Marantz SA8005 does still appear listed with a price on the Marantz site, but my AV dealer confirmed with a Marantz rep that it is in fact discontinued. So they need to update their site.

Oppo seems to be unlikely to get from "authorized" channels because everyone pounced on them.

Yamaha CD-S1000 may be getting discontinued, as it's not available on the Yamaha site. I am REALLY curious about this unit because it seems to be a good price/value combination at this point. Marantz SA14-S1 would be 2X the price of the Yamaha.

Decisions, decisions.

George P likes this.
  11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

You never know and it doesn't cost anything to sign up for the 205's interest list that I posted in post #9.

12. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I thought the OP wants to deal with his local? See post 5, OPPO is out.

13. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I’m one of the biggest Yamaha fanboys around but I can’t recommend their players. I’m on my second CD-S2100 (warranty replacement) and all is not perfect, I’m afraid.

The Beave likes this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I did not see that in the OP's earlier post.

For years I had the same mindset dealing with local A/V dealers even after buying online became an option. But what I found was that buying from reputable online dealers and companies that better options and pricing were available. I also found out when gear needed service the local dealers would ship to regional repair facilities. Most if not all local dealers are gone in my area and very few if any outside of my area have on site repair facilities.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  15. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I think that you should seriously reconsider used options if this Yamaha player is not a good choice as was suggested above. Save yourself a bundle and buy a used Oppo 105. These units are so incredibly reliable and well-designed, that so long as a given unit hasn't been totally thrashed-upon, most probably have another 15 - 20+ years of life left. And they are very good sounding units.

And as far as a streamer goes: My recommendation is to look into the Denon Heos Link. These are really nice little boxes which will stream from almost anything you can imagine, as well as allow you to configure whole house wireless audio, among other capabilities. Plus they are continually updating these to add new features and capabilities with regular firmware updates.

olschl and Bill Mac like this.
  16. deniss

At the price point of the CD-S2100, this is quite bad. So I will remove those Yamahas (CD-S1000 and CD-S2100) from my consideration.

On the other hand, what about Yamaha Aventage BD-A1060 -- it's a universal player at a $500 price point (referred to by some in the reviews as the Oppo-killer, which is probably an overstatement). The BD-A1060 plays SACDs and everything else under the sun (including DVD-A, according to reviews, although this isn't stated in the manual), including WiFi streaming capability. It even includes balanced XLR outs! Understandably, it won't be like the Marantz above, but it seems to be garnering really good reviews for its musicality on Crutchfield and other places. This would probably be the closest upgrade to what I have been looking for in terms of overall functionality, as well as easier on the wallet. Would let me spend more on buying new discs ;-)

I will definitely keep the Oppo options in mind, but likely not as my top choice. I really would prefer buying a brand-new piece.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I think the Yamaha BD-A1060 would be a fine choice and is well under your budget.

The Beave, eelkiller and George P like this.
  18. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

What are the main differences between the 203 and 205? My number one priority in a universal player is sound quality for CD and SACD playback. Sorry for the dumb question but I have not read up on these players. I didn't know I was in the market for a new player until my player started trying to eat discs the other day.

19. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

The differences between the 203 and 205:

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer

Bill Mac and SOONERFAN like this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

Yes, but would it be a substantial upgrade over his current player (also a Yamaha)?

tmtomh likes this.
  21. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Which SACD players does your local AV store say they can get? That list might be your best starting point for this thread, versus searching the internet for options, asking us which one(s) we recommend, only to get to your local AV store and find out they can't get new stock of the player recommended.

Craig.

trd, Linger63, warp2600 and 1 other person like this.
  22. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

By the way, thanks for starting this thread. While my preference is for a universal player, I'm now starting to concede that that's a fading dream, as all the good players seem to be discontinued or about to be.

Alternatively, I think I could be satisfied enough with an excellent 2-channel SACD + CD player for my dedicated stereo-only system, and leave my surround system's Oppo 105 to handle all the Blu-Rays, DVD-Video (I burned downloaded 96/24 files to DVD-R as DVD-Video), and DVD-Audio files.

23. Looking at that listing, I’d steer clear far away - in the item specifics it lists condition as ‘For parts or not working’ but in the text of the ad it says it’s NM. Photos show a pic of a remote, but the text of the ad says it ‘comes with a power cord only.’ The icing on the cake - it’s clearly a Marantz in the pics/ad but - again under item specifics - lists the brand as McIntosh.

scobb and Linger63 like this.
  24. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I just did the register of interest deal now. Do you figure I have much of a chance getting one? They retailed around $1250, yes? There is one available on ebay new in the box for $2000 plus $50 shipping. I like the idea of getting one from Oppo a lot better but wonder what my chances of getting one are?

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Don't really know what the odds are of getting a 205. But nothing ventured nothing gained :). The positive is the Oppo is only selling one 205 per customer. The retail price of the 205 was $1299. There's no way I'd pay $2000 for a 205. Just keep your eyes open and you could possibly find a much better deal.

SOONERFAN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.