Well now I've heard those...what's the point!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by talkingh, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. talkingh

talkingh Vibes Controller Thread Starter

Went to listen to some 7oo series B&W speakers this week, my lovely dealer said..."Come and listen to our top of the range 800's in the reference room"...on they go...and i have what i can only describe a transcendental experience...the closest thing to heaven i've ever heard..now all i can think of is...where can i get 22k for them...if you hear of a big bank heist in London in the next few weeks, you never saw this post.
    What have you heard that blew your mind and changed everything for you?

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

For me it was also B&W 800's.

I've since moved on to other tastes, but I think the wide distribution of B&W makes them a common entry point to Hi Fi.

3. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Same here, went to try 700 series and could listen to B&W 804 and 800 Diamond 3.
    The 800 blew my mind. I know exactly how you feel.
    I'd consider buying them if it were "only" 22k here, it costs about 60k in Brazil (I'd consider but would give up of course since I don't have 22k let alone 60k).

GyroSE and displayname like this.
  4. talkingh

i've heard some other very expensive speakers at shows...but they just didn't move me the same way

displayname likes this.
  5. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

As I have a small 12x12 listening room, I went with the 805 D3's. FWIW, I couldn't be happier and the last year listening to them has been marvelous. They are absolutely dynamite speakers, and I feel lucky to own them :) Good luck on your quest!

6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

B&W 805D owner here and I love them, but I'm personally ready to go back to a floorstander. I'm always worried that someone will bump into my 805D's, even though they sit on Sound Anchor stands, which equally helps in what they have to offer!

displayname likes this.
  7. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

No one goes into my listening room but me, LOL! ;)

SandAndGlass and timind like this.
  8. Chris C

True story, but I believe to this day that one of my wife's sister won't come to our house anymore, every since I read her kids the riot act, when I saw her oldest daughter (probably 6 or 7 at the time), reaching for that crazy tweeter on the top of my 805D's, which does look like a microphone, so who could blame her, right?

SandAndGlass, clhboa, Shiver and 3 others like this.
  9. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Paradigm Persona 9 - $35,000/pair.

displayname and talkingh like this.
  10. Chris C

In tribute to your avatar, I'm going to play "Boing, Boom Tschak" on my 805D's!

Dan Steely likes this.
  11. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've had an identical sister in law problem with my 805s and their built in karoke microphone.

SandAndGlass and Benzion like this.
  12. Chris C

No doubt in my opinion, that the 800 series microphone tweeter, although one of the greatest tweeters that I've ever heard (There are REAL diamonds in those, for what it's worth, hence the "D"!), are easily one of the ugliest speakers EVER!

SandAndGlass and lonelysea like this.
  13. talkingh

now i'm even more jealous

Chris C likes this.
  14. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

This is precisely why I actively have avoided sitting down and really listening to things way outside of my price range. I've been presented with an opportunity to listen to 100K+ systems a couple of times, and unless I'm using that system to actively demo something I can afford, I just pass. I have a massive fear of listening to something that just makes me hate my system. There is also an extra danger listening at a dealer vs at a show, because you know that room is well treated and perfectly set up as well. You might have been taken by the draw of the $22k speakers, but in reality you might need the associated gear AND room to really get all the way there.

But for what it's worth, Nautilus 800s on Audiogon for $9,500 right now :righton:

15. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Heard Tannoy Eatons at my local recently ... sigh. $5,500/pair. Like going from 16mm to 70mm CinemaScope ... super-exquisite tone, widescreen stereo image.

I don't mind, though. I think they'd be too big for my tiny room.

hi_watt, talkingh and PhxJohn like this.
  16. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Just say no.

talkingh likes this.
  17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

B&W Nautilus 802. Once I heard those, it was all over. 15 years later, I still have ‘em. Can’t justify the $22K for L/R + $25K in center/surrounds it would cost to replace my current setup. So I guess I’m stuck for while ha.

GyroSE and talkingh like this.
  18. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

[​IMG]KLIPSCH P-39F PALLADIUM SERIES

SandAndGlass, talkingh and PhxJohn like this.
  19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

For me, it was a set of Infinity Kappas my height, fed by Counterpoint amps. The guitar sound was utterly liquid.

I had heard the same speakers in another home previously, but once they were sited in a large room away from walls and without a large TV between them, and given audiophile juice, the midrange just sang.

talkingh likes this.
  20. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

B&W 800 D3 fed by 1000 watt Bryston monoblocks and an EAR tube preamp. This was my first true Hifi experience, pure bliss until I saw the price tag.

Recently heard the Legacy Focus SE fed by a Raven 300b amp, a jaw dropping experience. But, still out of my price range.

21. talkingh

nice place to be stuck haha

22. talkingh

Yeah def agree on the room and the rest of the equipment...don't think
    they are gonna really sing with my Rega Brio, they are on my list. and i will own them one day, luckily i have a music obsessed gf too and she wants them as much as me #endgame

displayname likes this.
  23. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Killed an hour on a rainy winter day at a Modia where I'd previously bought a tv and B&W sub here in Dallas. Told the salesman I wasn't buying, just looking. There were no customers in the store so he started showing off gear. The one and only setup that really got my attention were the 800s driven by a Mac. Music was Dire Straits' first album. Off the charts great. Cool salesman too.

seed_drill, displayname and timind like this.
  24. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

Totally understand :) We actually don't allow young children in our home. I know how that sounds, but it is with good reason, the most critical being that every single room has heavy art or furniture that is not anchored in any way, and could be disastrous if toppled. The stuff can be replaced... the children can't. SO, we made a rule in our home that no young kids will be invited. It's easy enough for us to follow as our friends and family "get it", and don't expect this childless couple to childproof our home, AND most of our friends have grown children (over the age of 14) that are (as it relates to this discussion) adult enough.

But yeah. Monitors on stands around children is just scary to me. And don't get me started on the bronze sculptures we have on pedestals ;)

Anyway, back on topic: After my previous post I went and listened to some music. I have to say that I keep noticing more and more with these speakers, and sometimes even when I am not critically listening, I find myself shocked at their ability. Most recently, via TIDAL I was listening to "Whole Lotta Love" by Zepplin, and was FLOORED when the imaging of the mid section of the song was SO intense, I heard it above and behind me. Vocals dead-nuts center, and yet all of these wonderful sounds just sort of "living" in the room, outside the speakers. SO cool :)

SandAndGlass, andybeau and Chris C like this.
  25. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

Great question. My first tube amp was a pretty cool experience, but it has to be the Herron VTPH-2a phono stage that made the biggest impact.

SandAndGlass and Wired4Fun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.