Why Don't We Do It In The Road-How many Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Upsiditus, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been a Beatles fan for the vast majority of my life. I far prefer the music from the "red album" era than what came later.
    "Why Don't We Do It In the Road" stands out to me as one of the worst of the Beatles songs. The Beatles should have been quite embarrassed to have released this. It sounds like Paul is doing a mic check. The lyrics are reminiscent of "Baby's first song." Tony Sheridan has claimed that he was able to hear many of the earliest Lennon-McCartney originals, and claimed they were nothing like "Love Me Do" and "Thank You Girl" etc., suggesting they were more like this apparently, but I don't believe him. "Why Don't You Do It In the Road" couldn't be from any earlier than 1967, and is probably from 1968.
    The music is also very simple. It sounds as if Paul is playing everything himself, and the book The Beatles on Record makes this claim. Most sources claim Ringo is playing the drums here. However, the drumming is more Paul's style. Apparently Ringo claimed to be playing the drums in interviews? I recall John saying later he was "hurt" not to have been allowed(?) to take part. Personally, I would think not playing on the track would be a badge of pride.

2. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I love the Beatles, but think this song is trash. I always loved the White Album, but never liked this (or Revolution 9).

3. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

Don't really get the hate for this track. The lyrics are hilarious and the music is a heavy groove. It's infinitely better than the preceding track.

Opposite of "granny music".

No Bull, musicfan37, intv7 and 42 others like this.
  4. Tonmeister

Tonmeister Forum Resident

I love it! One of my favorite of Paul’s more ‘edgy’ stuff on here and an essential part of the ramshackle, genius, sprawl of this album...

No Bull, SRC, Marty T and 38 others like this.
  5. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

If “The Beatles” was a single album, it wouldn’t have made the cut.

6. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

It was written during the trip to Rishikesh in '68, inspired by two monkeys coupling. It ain't great, it ain't awful. Suppose I'd rather have it than not. I agree about the drumming, sounds more like Paul to me. (Same with "Lady Madonna," but it's apparently Ringo there, too.)

No Bull, Keith V and Horse Brunsby like this.
  7. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

It cracked me up the first time I heard it, and the attitude keeps it fresh. Sounds like all Paul to me. I think it might be a one man show, but frankly I don’t know.

No Bull, apesfan, andybeau and 6 others like this.
  8. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Why does every song have to be a traditional, melodic, by-the-numbers affair? Beatles fans sometimes get obsessed with grading songs this way, but really miss the point IMO. This song has a great groove, and an impassioned vocal - which I would guess is why John felt left out.

9. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

I love this song! I love singing it super loud and acting really
    dorky.
    I wonder if Ozzy likes it. I'd sing it with him.

10. Paulette

Paulette Forum Resident

Oh, how many Beatles, sorry.

Pauli

11. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

It’s better than Mr. moonlight.

12. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

It was an avant garde sort of piece. I guess John would have been hurt not to take part because he was all about avant garde back then. It's not a bad song persay, but not one of my favorites on the album and the whole catalog.

13. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

There are several worse cuts that made Beatles single albums...I am sure you would agree.

14. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

It’s a piece of the puzzle that is The Beatles.

Wouldn’t lose it, wouldn’t change it.

15. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Most of the album is snippets and oddities, and in this odd way the album as a whole is a macrocosm of the track "Revolution 9". That's part of its considerable charm.

Also, only Paul on this track.

16. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

Not as bad as Rev9 and most Ringo sung tunes. I think it's all Paul.

Rojo and maywitch like this.
  17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'm not obsessed with grading songs but I've always thought this one was just bad. Nothing special about the "groove" and the "lyric" is some kinda non-resolving dirty joke. To give voice to a familiar cliche, if your local pub band had written this song, it'd get 2 out of 10 and "Must Try Harder." The only saving grace it has is that it's Paul McCartney singing it.

And I suspect it's pretty much all Paul. Can't imagine anyone else could be bothered with it.

18. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Ringo & Paul say Ringo plays on it, possible Paul sneaked in and overdubbed his own drum part, but Ringo did 1.

19. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

It's the age old question:

How many Beatles does it take to do it in the road?

20. You can't prove every one's Local Pub Band doing "WDWDIITR" [as is] would be rated a "2" by all!!
    It's a popular [more so than dis'd] 'White Album' cut. Heard it on FM "Rock" in the 70's, 80's, & 90's. It was played because DJ's & listeners enjoyed it.
    Obviously.

Are you really here to find out who played or didn't play on the song?!?!
    Seems like your disgust for the song is the main focus.
    Just asking.

maywitch, daveidmarx, Stencil and 2 others like this.
  21. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

The trouble is, that it doesn't have Ringo's trademark "fill changes", and the snare work sounds a lot like "Dear Prudence" (which we know Paul played drums on). So maybe Ringo played the packing case at the start. :D

22. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

One of the worst Beatles songs and think the worst one on The Beatles. Very generic and boring. Give me Paul's granny songs any day over this, at least they have a decent tune.

23. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

I understand why so many people dislike the song, but maybe it's the fact that I find the 1968 S/T album so enticing and alluring in its entirety that I find myself loving each and every song present on both discs, including Revolution 9. Maybe it's the fact that whenever I listen to any of the songs individually at any time of my life I'm immediately reminded of the grandiosity and the almost cinematographic 90 minute experience that album offers that I can't help but smile. It's kind of like an inside joke with myself.

No Bull, timind, somnar and 8 others like this.
  24. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I was just responding to another poster's remark about the tendency of Beatles fans to "grade songs" and offering my opinion that one doesn't have to be obsessed with grading to find a song to be substandard. Apart from that, I'm just echoing a negative opinion about the song that several others have expressed.

I've heard it on FM radio for years - I think DJ's and others liked the not-quite-even-double-entendre. I think it ought to be pretty obvious that it's not top shelf of the Beatles or even of the White Album. It's a little throwaway that a lot of people think is cute.

SinnerSaint and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  25. GreenFuz

GreenFuz Senior Member

Each to his own. To my ears it's one of Paul's best on the album. Great groove, fantastic vocal.

No Bull, andrewskyDE, somnar and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.