Why Don't We Do It In The Road-How many Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Upsiditus, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Love the song. One of Paul’s best on the album.

maywitch likes this.
  2. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Did Tony Sheridan actually state that John and Paul's earlier unknown songs 'sounded like 'Why Don't We Do It In The Road?''or is this an assumption by you? Why of all the many songs that they wrote did you compare the early unknown songs to WDWDIITR? Why not 'A Day In The Life'? Or the Abbey Road medley? Or The Shaggs first album? How about comparing the red album to Gilligan's Island? There are many similarities that have been detailed in doctorate theses submitted to Princeton University. I think the crux of your thread might be the apostrophe.

ajsmith likes this.
  3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I'd listen to it 4x in a row before I'd listen to Piggies once

funknik, Stencil and MRamble like this.
  4. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

It works in a double album context you here it's a bit of fun and then you move on ...I'm sure they didn't think 50 years from now people would go " Paul could have used more reverb"

maywitch, vinnie, jmxw and 3 others like this.
  5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I just know I about went ape**** when I got to hear Paul do it live for the first time.
    :goodie:

maywitch, daveidmarx, supermd and 3 others like this.
  6. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

One of my favorites. Great record.

Mickey2 and Mal like this.
  7. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Fairly simple recording session. Just 5 takes. John was sort of correct... on 9 October Paul recorded 5 takes by himself, including take 4 found on Anthology. The following day, Paul with Ringo, added lead vocals, drums and handclaps. John, as usual, acted as if Paul was being a jerk for doing a song alone. John was at Abbey Road, different studio, going over the strings overdub for Glass Onion. Ron

8. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

It's a fun song to play on the piano and belt out the vocal. Though, most songs on the album are.

Revolution 9's a real bear though.

9. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Why does everyone want to dismantle the White Album? It's like a Jenga game around here. ;)

10. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Thankfully, every copy I own has 30 tracks on it. :D

11. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

great song.

12. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Great song. Such a cool raw groove. More Stonesy than Beatles. One of my favorite songs they ever did. Love Why Don't We Do it In the Road. Always put it on mix tapes. Nice short rocker. Great song. One of their best for sure.

13. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

people dislike this song? huh.

a stripped down blues rocker with a great vocal. always loved this song.

andybeau, Fullbug, maywitch and 2 others like this.
  14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I like it. To me it’s just another of the fun, looser things they sprinkled throughout the album....as well as on Let It Be. Great vocal.

15. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

They threw little jokes into more than one album. "Mr. Moonlight" comes to mind as an early example.

It wasn't intended to be taken seriously as a "Beatles song."

16. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

There's no point being missed. Some people like melody, some like groove. Why is that wrong?

17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Useless filler. I made up better song just now while flushing toilet. I also don't appreciate the un-family-friendly lyrics. Who Beatle think he is? Mick Jagger?

18. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

Okay, I get that WDWDIITR is low on the totem pole of Beatle tracks, but like another "subpar" track, Bungalow Bill, the Beatles deemed them an essential thread to the album.

WDWDIITR is my favorite filler track of all time.

19. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

It is a minor masterpiece in the canon. It is an unusual track full stop. Great vocal, minimalist instrumentation and a GREAT lyric. This one sums up the freedom of the counterculture in a really effective way. One of Lennon's favourites too.

Fullbug, maywitch and Greenalishi like this.
  20. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

If it never made the White Album, I can imagine it suiting well enough on his debut solo.

21. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Oh my goodness, wait till you find out what "Happiness is a Warm Gun" is about.

22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

So, you think the blues is "simple" music and Paul ripping his vocal chords out on the song is equivalent to a "mic check".
    Alrighty then! YMMV.

23. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Some seem to think less Beatles songs is better. A useless exercise in my book.

George Blair likes this.
  24. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

The WA is a collage of different styles, without a unifying theme. WDWDIITR is part of that and you’d have a lesser record if you took it out. Goodnight or Savoy Truffle on the other hand...

maywitch likes this.
  25. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

Lady Madonna is Ringo if he never played drums on anything else. For one thing it is the same setup as Good Day Sunshine... neat snare and hi hat track accompanied by a basic track of a full kit playing the heavy stuff. Also that ending is a little bit complicated considering the brief 4 day session. McCartney could pull off nice fills on top of the kit but anything playing off the bass drum on short notice with Macca busy elsewhere makes me assume it's Ringo(along with the distinctive cymbal sound that seems to occur a split second after most drummers including Macca would hit it).

As for the White Album.. I'm still confused about Martha and Do It in the Road. Neither set of drums have the ambience that would automatically suggest that Ringo is in the studio drumming... either a distance or a muddiness that indicates interaction with other instruments. They sound isolated so they become suspect. I'll be interested in how this discussion turns out because they are informative and interesting. I'm still scratching my head about the You Never Give Me discussion that had John doing all the soloing at the end!

Lastly... ..."Do It in the Road" ... what can I say.. the world is a better place because of this McCartney vocal.. if the band had got back in that little room and jammed a smoky bluesy loose jam around this it would have been epic but alas it is indeed a rather sketchy brennel tape kind of thing which doesn't sound grand but to me is indispensable to the canon. If for no other reason Road exists to contrast with I Will...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.