New Cart choice! Shure V15V w Jico SAS, or Nagaoka MP-150

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ThorensSme, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good folks of the forum, I am looking for a little advice here. I have a Shure V15V laying around and I would like to go back to MM for awhile as my Ortofon Quintet is nearly used up. Everything I have read about the Nagaoka is also intirguing me. The Nagaoka MP-150 is what I am looking at in addition.

If you were to choose between resurrecting (what I believe to be a still perfectly working) Shure V15V body with the Jico SAS or trying something new withe Nagaoka what would you do and why? I have a feeling either would be a fine choice.

H8SLKC and Jelloalien like this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I'd go with Shure, first - the JICO situation is uncertain, SAS styli go in and out of production, they're kept artificially scarce, and thus keep getting more expensive. Get one now, while you still can. There's no shortage of Nagaoka's, they're all in current production and plentiful supply, so you can always get one later.

EDIT: Should you decide otherwise - I'd love to buy your V15 V from you.

McLover, H8SLKC and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

SAS are readily available from LPTunes:
    Search Results

LpTunes is THE North American distributor for JICO.

ThorensSme, Wngnt90 and H8SLKC like this.
  4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The AT VM540 is a better choice (imo). Shure carts sound like mud.

PhxJohn likes this.
  5. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

I have the V15 V w/ JICO SAS and it is a great cart. SAS took it to another level. Nagaoka's are plentiful. V15 V w/ stylus are getting harder to obtain.

H8SLKC and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

You bet the AT VM540ML is a better choice. It walked all over the MP-110. The MP-150 could not be that much better.

Chris Schoen and PhxJohn like this.
  7. Benzion

Respectfully disagree. Have a NOS M97HE - sounds wonderful to my ears.

8. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have heard a Shure cart that was crisp.

arisinwind likes this.
  9. Benzion

We're also comparing apples and oranges. The Nagaoka's 110/150 sport a 4 x 7 elliptical stylus, whereas the AT 540ML sports a micro-line one. If OP's arm has all the necessary adjustments and he has the determination and skill to futz with the setup of an ML cart - it may be a good choice. If he wants an out-of-the box goodness w/o much PITA - Nagaoka will do the job admirably.

But I'd still go with the Shure/Jico first, which I did, BTW - bought an M97Xe the day Shure announced discontinuation of phono business, and a Jico SAS a few days later.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. ThorensSme

Thanks for the input thus far. I have been setting up cartridges for many years now. My SME 309 should be able to handle any MM I want to throw at it.

H8SLKC likes this.
  11. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

H8SLKC likes this.
  12. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

13. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Shure+ Jico SAS all the way. The Nagaoka 150 is not on par with a V15/SAS, and those ATs sound so thin...

oregonalex, Benzion and H8SLKC like this.
  14. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

i love Nagaoka, but in this case unless you are bumping up your budget to go with a Nagaoka Mp200 (or higher) i'd think the jico SAS option would be the most cost effective, and still sound phenominal

PhxJohn and H8SLKC like this.
  15. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

16. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Shure V15V with original SAS, boron cantilever. I found the boron measurably and audibly better than the neoSAS.

Helom and H8SLKC like this.
  17. ThorensSme

18. I'd go with the Shure and find an original new replacement stylus. An aftermarket replacement stylus will sound different, but not necessarily better.

H8SLKC likes this.
  19. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Hmmm, your opinion stated as fact.

20. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

I really believe that you should go for the Nagaoka, and I'll take the old, beat-up and tired Shure off of your hands. :)

21. I would add that when a cartridge manufacturer makes a cartridge and equips it with their own dedicated stylus, that is the sound they expect that cartridge to make. If you switch to a different brand of stylus or even a different stylus of the original brand which will fit your cartridge, it will always sound different. You may not like the different sound. I feel that some don't know what they are listening to or may have buyer's remorse after blowing a wad on anything, so they tell everyone that what they bought is the best there is, so as not to appear stupid. If any cartridge manufacture thought that a Jico stylus made their cartridge sound better, they'd either copy the Jico stylus or equip their cartridges with a genuine Jico stylus. Stick with the original, it's often the best(and wisest economical choice).

PhxJohn likes this.
  22. Helom

Helom Forum member

Get the boron version SAS from LP Gear:
    Jico SAS upgrade for Shure N97xE stylus - For US, Canada & Americas only

Getting the best from this combo requires very precise alignment, but the rewards are worthwhile. IMO, it retains the good aspects of the Shure sound (lush mids) and dispenses with all the negatives. When properly aligned and mated to worthy components, the upgrade is more akin to stepping up about 3 price classes, not merely adding more top end to an average cart.

ThorensSme and macster like this.
  23. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

No dang. The "regular" SAS is not sold out and some (like Thomas_A above) have said it's better.

You've solicited plenty of opinions. Make a decision and see what happens. There's no "right" answer except for your thoughts after you've pulled the trigger and come to your own conclusions. Best of luck!

macster likes this.
  24. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

The OP has a V15V, not an M97xE which is what you're referring to. Link is Jico SAS upgrade for Shure VN5MR stylus - For US, Canada & Americas only

25. Helom

Helom Forum member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.