The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Agreed.

2. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Warming up my ‘73 receptors with a little RT 4.3 (Denver ‘73), that I just picked up today. I never skip MAMU and am always happy to see it in a set list, it’s definitely a favorite of mine out of the shorter tunes.

[​IMG]

3. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

What the hell is a microdose? :winkgrin:

jazz_case likes this.
  4. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Wait, I tried to check back through the thread to make sure I didn’t miss anything, but are you referring to the 8/27/72, Veneta, OR, Sunshine Daydream release? If so, I’m pretty sure the version with the blu-ray is still available on Dead.net.

5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

It's some dweeby Silicon Valley thing where you take just enough of a psychotropic to get the "****, I can't sleep" effect. It's a way to do hallucinogens that serves the man. Sad. So very sad.

edit: Some say it helps with creativity and produces an overall feeling of wellness. Also, I've never microdosed. It doesn't necessarily interfere with sleep, but I was reading about it and saw it referred to as a the psychedelic caffeine. And then I though, "Oh, I did that in college when I didn't want to see weird **** but wanted to stay up all night and drink beer with impunity." :D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Ezzie, Crispy Rob, adamos and 5 others like this.
  6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

06/26/73
    Seattle Center Coliseum - Seattle, WA

Seamons matrix

He's Gone ->
    Truckin' ->
    Drums ->
    The Other One ->
    Me And Bobby McGee ->
    The Other One ->
    Sugar Magnolia

Should be a really nice upgrade when the box comes out

7. budwhite

74-05-19. Listening to both the SDB and the SDB/AUD matrix.
    The PNW box sets will blow peoples minds. Both in terms of playing and sound quality!
    (to bad about the mix problem though, it happens during a killer Sugaree and goes on for six songs. I wonder if they are doing a matrix because the AUD recording doesn't seem to have the vocal problems that the SDB has. or maybe they just got another SDB without those problems....)

8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Blame Healy. The extremely narrow mix is certainly unexplainable. (Well, he might have been busy doing other things, after all, these recordings were not made to be released).
    Dave's Picks 4 sounds pretty similar (Healy again), but the band took more risks that night (double-time "Slipknot!"), so it's way more interesting.
    To be honest, I don't agree with some of the choices Dave made for 30 Trips.

wavethatflag likes this.
  9. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

A little Portland '74, 5/19/74, discussion history from this thread. Enjoy!

Ezzie, mmthmj, talkingleaf and 9 others like this.
  10. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

...and once more for the deaf among us, here's warewolf doin' his thang, shouting the gospel of 5/19/74:

Ezzie, johnnypaddock, mmthmj and 8 others like this.
  11. budwhite

12. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Phil testing the viability of low frequency waveforms as produced by the WOS in enclosed environments...

I stand by my words.

13. US Blues

That's the sequence that will melt synapses. Along with the Dark Star from Portland.

14. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

So explain this sound situation to me again? What exactly is the issue? I was really looking forward to having a Loose Lucy on vinyl, but does it have sound issues?

US Blues likes this.
  15. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

As I have said before, I am looking forward to him just once giving up halfway through a seaside chat and admitting that the new release isn’t very good at all. Maybe once he has given his notice?

I enjoy his enthusiasm, of course. He always gives good email replies too (well, he did until I sent him one telling him I thought Dave’s 24 was lousy...)

I wish he covered this type of issue in the seaside chats or even just with a note on the website. They’re not going to lose preorders if they admit there is a patch here and there.

16. US Blues

During part of the first set, there are issues in the recording mix in which vocals and some instruments (?) vanish for 6 songs. The recording mix was separate from what the audience heard, which is the value of the Matrix recording. We do not know how or if the situation was remedied.

17. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

And from the existing, previously known SBD recordings, there are large missing segments from 6/22/73, and mix or other technical problems in Bertha and Bird Song from that show, and most first set songs on 6/24/73. No word yet on how those things are dealt with.

hfarrior3 likes this.
  18. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

This is definitely something he should address. I'd like to at least have a heads up before i fork over $125 for a 6 disc show. If a problem does exist I actually might reconsider, I could buy allot of records for that money.

19. budwhite

I think and hope that they have better/more complete sources to work from.

78-01-22 turned out pretty great once it was released.
    The previousley circulating SDB wasn't the best sounding and it had 4 songs cut IIRC

Dahabenzapple and rbbert like this.
  20. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

RB: Weren't we told that these are "new" Betty Boards, rather than the currently-circulating boards? (which I assume are a Kidd Candelario production)

SBegonias17 and US Blues like this.
  21. US Blues

The provenance of the recordings is unclear, although some here may have more detailed information.

The circulating boards, if sourced from the now retuned "Betty Boards," would portend some difficulties.

22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

6/22/73, at least, has circulated from a Betty Board, which has now been returned to the vault. It's hard for us out here to know how many 73 and 74 shows have 2 different sets of reel masters available, so we can only hope.

ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  23. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

It dont mean squat if you dont scream it from the mountaintop. :)

24. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Listening to this show, they must have found a way to bring the vocals back or i have to think it would be deemed unreleasable - at least as a $130 6 LP Box Set.

25. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I love that we have a Contiguous Dark Star Corollary. This is the kind of thing you can build an empire on.